Portable Tube Amp Recommendations
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Dragon Leader

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, my dear Head-Fiers,

I am on the hunt for a portable (not transportable) headamp that can drive the IER-Z1R, EE Odins, and the Meze Elite.
As a stationary amp, I use a Mal Valve Headamp 3 and my current DAP is an SP2000 (Copper) which is resolving and analytical yet something smoother for the fun hours would be great. I looked at some reviews of the Cayin C9 but it seems to be kind of bulky. Is there something out there that would pair well with the SP2000 without being the size of a brick?

Any opinion, help, and ideas are most appreciated

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 27
The Cayin C9 and Woo Audio WA8 are what immediately come to mind, but they're both bricks. I've heard the WA8 with the Elite and it's surprisingly good though.

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 27
Hi, thank you for your insight.
I am looking for something that is really portable so maximum the size of the SP2000, have you ever held an ALO continental V5 or similar?
I think that it is much smaller than the C9, right?

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 27
You're welcome, I have no familiarity with the ALO though.

Sep 7, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 27
Hi, thank you for your insight.
I am looking for something that is really portable so maximum the size of the SP2000, have you ever held an ALO continental V5 or similar?
I think that it is much smaller than the C9, right?
I had the C9, WA8, V5, as well as ALO CV5 and Fostex HP-V1. Of those, only the CV5 is portable. But frankly its performance is mediocre. If you want a full-scale tube presentation, only the WA8 and C9 count (though WA8 will give you actual tube sound). Don't even consider the Oriolus BA300S, which is distinctly average at best.

Edit - haven't heard it, but Phatlab Phantasy II could fit the bill. Meant to sound excellent.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 27
I still have a Fostex HP-V1. Size wise, it’s portable but the easily moved volume control makes it risky to use on the move if you value your ears. I agree that transportable is probably a better description. It sounds pretty good - rich and tubey - if you avoid both sensitive iems and hard to drive cans. Mine hasn’t had much use since I bought my ibasso 323 (Which is really excellent, btw).

My impression is that Analog Squared Paper could be worth a look.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 27
Give Oriolus BA300s a try!

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 27
Ugh, please don't. Horrendous. Sorry. Save your money for a C9 or WA8.
Why? At $150 for an used device, I think it cannot be beat

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 27
Why? At $150 for an used device, I think it cannot be beat
Used, ok. Not much to lose. I bought it new.

As for what's wrong, well +3DB gain - so basically useless if you want to actually amplify the sound. And the timbre change is minimal. It's not really an amp, it's more of a very subtle adjustment to tuning/timbre. That NoThemeReview guy gave, like, a 10 hour review on it which explores these limitations.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 27
Used, ok. Not much to lose. I bought it new.

As for what's wrong, well +3DB gain - so basically useless if you want to actually amplify the sound. And the timbre change is minimal. It's not really an amp, it's more of a very subtle adjustment to tuning/timbre. That NoThemeReview guy gave, like, a 10 hour review on it which explores these limitations.
It should be named as pre-amp, not amp but at its price, adding tube timbre is good and the new version (typeC) has some improvements: battery life, noise, ...

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 27
Yes, agree - pre-amp. Ok, haven't heard new version. I had the very first iteration.

Even so, save up for WA8!
Agree with you about WA8 and C9, but their price are at 10 times a BA300s, so BA300s should be considered at its price to get tube timbre.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 27
I like the Oriolus BA300S it won’t be much help to the original poster though. Something like the KAEI TAP-1 might fit more what OP is looking for.
I use the Oriolus BA300S with Shanling M6 pro 21 and iems. Mine doesn’t have any gain so it’s just to add a tube sound with my portable setup and adds some extra warmth along with good battery life and suits my needs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back