Please rate these cans on a scale of 1-5 by these criteria-
May 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dmcs414

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,
I'm currently considering a few pairs of headphones which, if my fellow Head-Fiers would be so kind, I would be humbled and grateful if you would rate on a scale of 1 (lowest) to 5 highest) the criteria listed below pertaining to each.

The headphones themselves are as follows-

A. Hifiman HE-5LE
B. Hifiman HE-4
C. Sony MDR-CD3000
D. Beyer DT900 600ohm
E. "Thunderpants"
F. audio-technica W1000X
G. JVC DX1000

CRITERIA

Bass
Mids
Highs
Sound Stage
Classical music
Electronic music
Jazz music
Synergy with tube amps
Ease to drive

In addition, if you have experience with some or any of these cans but not all, feel free to chime in.

I should also mention that I am fairly certain a decent tube amp (or hybrid) is what I plan to purchase, so please take that into account. At the very least it will likely be of the approximate quality of a Woo 3 or something of that sort, and I'm very open to DIY amps as well.

Thanks so much for your time if you're able to help me make my decision an easier one.

Edit- changed back to 1-5, heh :)

May 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Hifiman HE-4

Bass: 4/5 quantity, 5/5 quality.

I expected them to be somewhat lacking in bass compared to my D7000, and they surprised me with just how engrossing the bass is. Sub bass is slightly less in quantity, but it actually punches harder (more mid bass). Bass is just intoxicating on these.

Mids: 4/5 quantity, 5/5 quality.

The nature of bass and treble emphasized headphones is that the mids will be slightly recessed or very recessed. In the case of the HE4 (with the right amp), is that the mids will still be very close to the bass and treble. What makes them great is the ortho mids. It's very full and organic. Vocals sound fantastic.

Highs: 5/5 quantity, 5/5 quality. Depending on how you like your highs, this may or may not be a high score for you. They have plenty of sparkly highs, and do not approach sibilance with my Lyr amp. The best highs I've heard in any headphone to date. Treble sensitive people may complain, but then they should just go with something with dull highs then.

Classical music: 5/5/ The bass gives drums life, instruments sound lifelike. I have zero complaints here. Definitely better than the D7000 for classical.

Electronic music: 4/5. I prefer my D7000 for electronic music (their sub bass is just awe-inspiring), but the HE-4's sound fantastic with electronic genres themselves.

Jazz music: Not enough experience with Jazz to give a proper impression.

Synergy with tube amps: 5/5, the HE4 pairs up fantastically with the Schiit Lyr (which is a hybrid). The HE4 may be a bit too clinical for solid states.

Ease to drive: 1/5. Don't bother with the HE4 if you don't have some very powerful amps in your arsenal. They require a LOT of power.

Note: The HE4 is just ridiculous for $450. Been said to sound like a supercharged DT880 (which I agree), and has been said to sound like the Beyer T1, which costs almost 3x the price. Makes me really wanna see how they stack up.

DT990/600ohm

Bass: 5/5. The very best bass I've heard in ANY headphone, and what all other open headphones with bass emphasis should emulate. It's deep, hard hitting, and very well textured. Bassheads who need open headphones should seriously consider the DT990/600ohm. The sub bass isn't as room filling as the D7000 or other cloed headphones, but the DT990 wins out in pure bass quality.

Mids: 3/5. The mids are stuck between that awesome bass (that DOES NOT trample on the mids) and the very VERY prominent highs. Due to the super strong highs, the mids have somewhat of a tough time keeping up. In reality, the mids are very present. The problem is that the highs won't give them a chance. I found the mids to sound very much like the DT880s, so I wouldn't call them lacking, just overtaken.

Highs: 2/5. I'll be clear. The highs are incredibly sharp. To those that can take highs, you STILL might find them grating. My suggestion is to find anything to dull them down whether it's with amps that roll of highs, warmth, or just plain out EQ. The highs will be why a lot of people wont like the DT990. Personally, I love the DT990, but even I know the highs need to be taken down a few notches. Don't dismiss them easily. If you can bear with the highs (like I could), the DT990 is a stellar value, and the pros outweigh that very simple con.

Classical music. 3/5. Not enough experience with Classical to give a proper impression with the DT990s.

Electronic music: 5.5. With plenty of rich sub bass and mid bass, Electronica is a dream to listen to with them.

Jazz music: Not enough experience with Jazz to give a proper impression.

Synergy with tube amps: 5/5. I think those lokming into the DT990s should REALLY focus on tube amps to tone down and warm, up the DT990s very dry and treble oriented sound.

Ease to drive 3/5. Although the 600ohm will automatically make them require some decent power, I didn't find them to be too power hungry. A decent tube amp will do them fine. Beyer made some pretty efficient 600ohms with the Premium Beyers.

May 17, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 3
Bump

Thanks Mad Lust Envy for sharing your thoughts on the 2 in my list you were familiar with. It was extremely helpful.

Everyone else - I'd really appreciate your ratings as well, on whatever phones in my list you'd care to chime in on. Many thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back