Please rate my future setup
Jun 28, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #16 of 26
zakazak

Not sure if it'll help - because I don't own the LD MKIII - but I do own the LD MKIV - and of course the HD600s.  I personally love the combo - very dynamic, and just synergises well.  And just for the record - it's not my first amp .....

If MalVeaux endorses the LD MKIII (and he is speaking from experience as well - and has heard and owned plenty of headphones and amps), I'd say that for a lot of people it will be a nice combo.  I also echo CJG888s comments - tube-rolling and finding the best tube combos can really add dynamism to a combination.  I know with my LD - I am really happy with my current tube combos (E-H 6H30PI Gold driver tubes with either Mullard M8100s or GE JAN 5654Ws).

You're going to get some who won't have enjoyed the combo, others that love it.  No-one is right or wrong - it's just personal preference.

And the HD600 (despite what some will tell you) are not that hard to drive at 300ohm.  The LD MKIII should handle them with no issues.

If you want a reasonably priced solid state unit (dac/amp combo) with plenty of power, you could also look at the NFB-12.1 from Audio-gd.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
Did you listen to the LD Mk. III with the stock driver tubes, and are you sure that the gain setting was optimized for the HD600s (by adjusting the DIP switches underneath the unit)? The reason I ask this is that the stock tubes that came with my LD were noisy, microphonic and lacked resolution - upgrading to Mullard CV4010s made a big difference. Also, changing the gain makes a substantial difference to dynamics. If it is set too low, the HD600s can sound lifeless.

I did both adjust the gain and roll tubes - which did improve things, but the result was still lacking.

zakazak, don't underestimate psychoacoustics where Hifi (or Head-Fi in this case) is concerned. A lot of people like the MKIII because of the looks, the build quality (which is very good) and of course because it has pretty tubes. Actual performance doesn't necessarily hold up.

Don't get me wrong about the MKIII. It is not bad in any way, it just doesn't improve things so much when compared to a DAP with a solid heapdhone out. Most receivers have a headphone out that will deliver better performance than the MKIII.

Also please note that differences between amps are nearly always exaggerated (I'm guilty too). When comparing a "bad" amp to a "perfect" one, the actual difference in sound quality will not be nearly as great as when switching between different headphones. As usual there are exceptions - but the HD600 sounds good even out of a DAP (so do most other headphones). A good amp will improve things, yes, but it won't turn it into a different headphone.

If you're already set on the MKIII, then by all means don't hesitate and buy one. You will not be disappointed - but, as mentioned before, there are other options (O2, Asgard, Mini-i, etc) that will likely perform better, at the same (or even lower) cost.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:
If you want a reasonably priced solid state unit (dac/amp combo) with plenty of power, you could also look at the NFB-12.1 from Audio-gd.

I'd also recommend an inexpensive but powerful ss amp or amp+dac.  I found that with my tube amp (Mad HD) the softness of the tubes combined with the relatively gentle presentation of HD600 made the sound too fuzzy and syrupy.  With a good, crisp SS amp and dac (non-nos, which chops the top 1/2 of the spectrum that HD600 needs most), the synergy is just right.  Save the tubes for bright or harsh headphones (Grado, Beyer).

But yes, HD600 is the right headphone imo, and by far the most important part of the chain.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #19 of 26
Well if I go for a dac/amp combo, then I would have to decide between the nfb-12.1 or tubemagic d1. That was my first idea for my future setup anyway. But then ppl recommended the MK III more and more and I thought I would invest more money if that greatly improves the listening experience with new 340$ headphones (HD600).

But if that setup (for 200$) performs just as good as a 300$-400$ setup (dac + amp), why would anyone buy the more expensive setup for the same performance?

Thanks

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #20 of 26
Whilst I personally enjoy both my LD MKIV and my NFB-12 with the HD600 - I'd probably use them in a 50/50 ratio.  Whereas with both the DT880 and 325i I've been always using the LD MKIV lately - so I guess I can see eucariote's point.

My thoughts in the interim - assuming you looking for an amp and dac combo - NFB-12.1 & the HD600 for a start.  Then if you still want to delve into tubes later, you can do what I do - and just use the NFB-12 as DAC only to your tube amp of choice.  Gives you a measure of future scaleability without breaking the bank.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #21 of 26
Hmm I guess that is good idea. A friend also recommended me the nfb-12.1 I was just afraid that it is too weak/cheap for the hd600 :p

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #22 of 26
Definitely not weak - drives my 600ohm DT880s with authority.

Cheap - yes - especially considering it's features.  I see that as a good thing though 
wink.gif
.  Good form factor, great value, good SQ (I think so anyway), powerful .... what's not to like.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #23 of 26
Alright, I will order the NFB 12.1 then within a few days. Are there any good guide on how to use it? I mean it has 7800 different buttons/samples/filters/jumpers etc. Also what settings should I use in windows/foobar? Thanks

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #25 of 26
Well the Asgrad doesn't have a DAC included. So I would need another 100$ for a DAC. So I guess my questions now is:

ODAC + MK III
vs
ODAC + Asgard (or for the design.. Bifrost + Asgard.. but that's a lot of money compared to the other setups)
vs
NFB 12.1

Especialliy for the Bitfrost + Asgard setup I really wonder if the 450$ DAC (vs 100$ ODAC) makes any difference on my HD 600 :/

Thanks

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #26 of 26
Alright I will go for the nfb 12.1 + hd 600 setup. So far support from audio-gd is way better. The device might not look as good as the Schiit devices but it also is ~600$ less + I don't have to talk to some cocky-sounding support. Thanks for everyones input :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back