Please help me choose some headphones
Nov 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

joeljjison

New Head-Fier

I'm sorry for such a rubbish thread opener. I have been slogging round the reviews all day, and I'm more confused then when I started.

I have three requirements.

1.) Really Comfortable.

2.) Under £200 ( thats 320 dollars apparently)

3.) I am not willing to need an amp.

A description of what I want this for, and what I want to hear:-

I am a musician, I play various keyboard based instruments. I mainly use custom in ears (ACS T1) on shows, however these start hurting my ears a bit in situations where I have to regularly take them off. I want to be able to use headphones in rehearsals though so as to take the edge off how loud everything is (rather than increase it by using a large speaker).

In these situations I'll be driving them from my soundcard, a Motu 828mk2, but sometimes I would also like to watch movies and listen to music directly from the macbook. (Since I move around a lot, at home I am often too lazy to take out the soundcard from the rest of my equipment... I may just want to use the laptop and its keys to work on my sounds). I can understand if opposed the sound card I lose some stuff, it remains neutral. 

I do actually have a pair of HD200's ( a present a while ago ), but they get uncomfortable very quickly.

In terms of the kind of sound I want...

I'll sometimes run the rest of the band in to my sound card and mix it into my headphones. Whether I'm playing piano, or whether I'm playing dubstep, I do need them to be able to handle low bass. I don't particularly need a bass boost (I hated the dre headphones :) ) , and in terms of loud speakers, I don't like disproportionate amount of subs... just enough, without a noticeable gap in pitch...so I'd like as wide a frequency range as viable at that price point to be present.

I've attempted to short list, but please feel free to suggest others:-

For all of these I've found plenty of reasons offered not to choose them ... as I have with all the others I've looked at :S

HD598

AKG550

QSC701 < I thought I should discount this , but its there anyway

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 5
HD598 wont isolate any sound as its open backed.

i would suggest the SoundMAGIC HP100, in stock at advancedmp3players.co.uk

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 5
Heya,

You're going to need closed back headphones, not open air. You've selected some open air headphones. They are open to the room, sound will travel in & out. It will be like just having two small speakers near your head. You need isolating headphones, so look at closed back headphones.

Suggestions:

Beyer DT770
Brainwavz HM5
KRK KNS 8400
AKG K550
AKG K271 MK II
Audio Technica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 650

Very best,

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for the help, Randomkid , MalveauX

I think I'm leaning towards the Soundmagic HP100. Reasons being the case, the detachable coiled cable. I eliminated others based on lacking accessory lists, or design element I didn't like (non detachable cables, dual entry).

Since there aren't comparative reviews of EVERYTHING. ^_^

I'll leave it for a day or two before I act in case anyone comes and says, 'no, don't do that, do this!' 

Edit - I'm sorry I didn't discover the new members recommendation thread. Thank you for replying anyway without attack!

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 5
No problem, good luck. the HP100 wont let you down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back