Pioneer's new TOTL Closed Back SE-Monitor 5 headphones
Aug 11, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #61 of 305
Thanks. The HD800 would probably not be a good comparison as it's open and on the bright side anyway. Just as long as it's not a Nighthawk or Z1R sound for a closed headphone. I liked the Master 1 so more than likely the Monitor5 would be up my alley.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #62 of 305
Not like a Z1R at all and thank god as far from a Nighthawk as possible.

You can't compare the sound with a SEM1 as well though, it's a different sound sig. And it needs burn-un for sure.
But it sounds damn good for a closed heafphone after that.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #63 of 305
I really like the fit and feel of the Nighthawk but it's like listening to a speaker covered with a blanket. At least the Monitor5 would seem to have the same high quality build and comfort as the Master1.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #65 of 305
Thanks. The HD800 would probably not be a good comparison as it's open and on the bright side anyway. Just as long as it's not a Nighthawk or Z1R sound for a closed headphone. I liked the Master 1 so more than likely the Monitor5 would be up my alley.

Well, You are right, comparing it to a HD800 would be wrong as it is Not as airy as an open can.
Well, just heared a Z1R again. It is hard to describe, it is much more natural. The bass is much more defined, Mids do fit better or are stronger in the SEM5, treble are very different. They are brighter and not as bright as on the Z1R at the same time. It does fit the sound signature much better. Perhapse it is the 10k peak that is described in some measurements. I do not have a headphone that does sound like this one. Perhapse my IE 800 does have a similiar signature but the soundstage is much smaller.
I do think it is a great headphone

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #66 of 305
Do you mean the Pioneer as being more natural or the Sony?

I am getting the Monitor5 next week to try out. Looking forward to it. The Master1 gets a bad rap because of the bass but I enjoyed it. Very speaker like sound and it was beautifully built. I don't have it anymore because the price was too steep but miss it. The Monitor5 is much more reasonably priced. At least in this climate where $4K is the new $1K.

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #67 of 305
Do you mean the Pioneer as being more natural or the Sony?

I am getting the Monitor5 next week to try out. Looking forward to it. The Master1 gets a bad rap because of the bass but I enjoyed it. Very speaker like sound and it was beautifully built. I don't have it anymore because the price was too steep but miss it. The Monitor5 is much more reasonably priced. At least in this climate where $4K is the new $1K.

No, sorry for the confusion, the SEM5 is much more natrual than the Z1R, but it does not have the soundstage.
Never heared the Master1 as I'm happy with my HD800, but I was told the bass was much stronger on the SEM1 compared to the SEM5.

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #69 of 305
That's so funny! I just got these in a couple of hours ago and I just tried out the leather pads before reading your message. It does indeed sound really good. The velour too.

I have to spend a lot more time with them to get a better impression of sound characteristics but three things jump out: 1 impeccable build and design 2 vocals and mid-range are excellent and 3 no hint of harshness or sibilance in the treble. Seriously though this thing is much more solidly built than a lot of other headphones at or above the price range. The Focal Elear is indeed nicely built but the Pioneer feels more substantial in the hands. The Elear was kind of creaky too and there is no sound with the Pioneer. Not surprised given the quality of the Master1. I compare the Elear because it's the same price but even the HD800S is kind of flimsy in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back