Pioneer's new TOTL Closed Back SE-Monitor 5 headphones
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #76 of 305
I switched back to the velour/cloth type pads because I like the comfort better, but both pads feel nice and the sound signature is still great with both. This is another high end Pioneer headphone flying completely under the radar (just like the Master1). It's completely different than the Master1 though - it's a bit more even and the bass is tamer. The transparency and spaciousness the Monitor5 offers is superb. I don't get a congested or boxy sounding impression at all. A++ headphone.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #77 of 305
Listening to the Monitor 5 now with velour pads. Not sure I can say these are better than the Z1R which I sold recently due to financial constraints. The Monitor 5 is on loan from the person who purchased my Z1R so I should be able to get them back for a head to head comparison. I would probably like the increased bass impact so I will have to get the leather pads from my buddy as he forgot to bring them over. He purchased two Monitor 5 so if I fall in love with these we may see. The Z1R was amazing so my initial impression is that the Z1R is still on top, but I have just begun testing the Monitor 5 and I can tell it will be a worthwhile undertaking!

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #78 of 305
I think the leather pads give a bit more bass, but I also find that, generally, the low end is much improved with good clean power. It's not efficient enough to sound that great straight through a smartphone, and even the DragonFly Red doesn't give it the boost it needs. It sounds really good through my Schiit Lyr 2 and Violectric V100.

If you love bass, and prefer open headphones, the Master1 would be the way to go. Remarkable bass for being open backed. It's pretty expensive though.

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #79 of 305
I think the leather pads give a bit more bass, but I also find that, generally, the low end is much improved with good clean power. It's not efficient enough to sound that great straight through a smartphone, and even the DragonFly Red doesn't give it the boost it needs. It sounds really good through my Schiit Lyr 2 and Violectric V100.

If you love bass, and prefer open headphones, the Master1 would be the way to go. Remarkable bass for being open backed. It's pretty expensive though.
Thanks, and yes I do love good bass for sure. I'm driving these from the speaker terminals of a dual mono 180watt NAD integrated amp so they are getting plenty of juice believe me.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #80 of 305
How much of a difference do the leather pads make to the sound signature, and is it just the low frequencies that are affected? Thanks.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #81 of 305
I really like how clean and fast the bass is with the velour pads, but I would prefer more impact and wondering if the leather pads can lift the impact a little as simply EQing upward in my mind makes it sound less defined without increasing impact.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #82 of 305
I have the leather pads on now. I do notice more impact and a little less sparkle in the treble. I tend to favor clarity over a warmer signature like, for example, the Nighthawk, so maybe I am not the most reliable of judges on the subject. The Monitor5 still has a fairly even tone with the leather pads but it moves the needle just a bit toward a darker shade.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #83 of 305
I have the leather pads on now. I do notice more impact and a little less sparkle in the treble. I tend to favor clarity over a warmer signature like, for example, the Nighthawk, so maybe I am not the most reliable of judges on the subject. The Monitor5 still has a fairly even tone with the leather pads but it moves the needle just a bit toward a darker shade.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I do find them a little brighter than I tend to prefer, but it is still early on and that may change. There have been some who report excessive upper midrange energy which is plausible. I'm hoping to really gel with this signature so we will have to see. I love a great deal about it so far, I just don't want to form an opinion before I get to try the leather pads. I found on my departed NightOwl that I preferred the leather pads over the velour.

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #85 of 305
Hello,

i have now since a week this Pioneer SE Monitor 5 and use this model with the leather pads. The Pioneer has a wide soundstage, very forward mids (sometimes to forwand), glare highs and for a dynamic headphone a good quality bass and a transparent sound. On the downside the upper mids are sometimes a little bit to unatural, harsh and aggressive but that´s a issue with most closed headphones and the soundstage is only wide but not depth. Compared to the Pioneer Master 1 the bass is much lesser (better for the mids) and the highs are not so sharp, on the other hand the Master 1 goes deeper and have a overall better soundstage, also the built quality is better. I heard many closed models and i think this Pioneer is a better one, for me overall comparable to Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd and MrSpeakers Ether C and a little bit better and more neutral than the Fostex TH and Denon AH-D models.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #86 of 305
Hello,

i have now since a week this Pioneer SE Monitor 5 and use this model with the leather pads. The Pioneer has a wide soundstage, very forward mids (sometimes to forwand), glare highs and for a dynamic headphone a good quality bass and a transparent sound. On the downside the upper mids are sometimes a little bit to unatural, harsh and aggressive but that´s a issue with most closed headphones and the soundstage is only wide but not depth. Compared to the Pioneer Master 1 the bass is much lesser (better for the mids) and the highs are not so sharp, on the other hand the Master 1 goes deeper and have a overall better soundstage, also the built quality is better. I heard many closed models and i think this Pioneer is a better one, for me overall comparable to Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd and MrSpeakers Ether C and a little bit better and more neutral than the Fostex TH and Denon AH-D models.

Yes I agree about the mids being a mixed blessing, sometimes too energetic, but at other times they can be just perfect. I also agree about the somewhat restricted soundstage depth. Width is good as you say, but the depth isn't of matching quality. That is one area where the Sony Z1R was excellent, the entire soundstage was well done. I also agree that the bass is quite good, very tight and snappy with a natural decay to it, but it doesn't go very low where sub bass is concerned so you can tell. That said, the reduced sub bass is probably why the bass in general is very clean and engaging. The bass could use a hair more impact for my taste, but I only have the velour pads on hand so that may be a factor.

Regardless, given the build quality, multiple cables, comfort and that Pioneer has kept the price by today's standards down I have to think the Monitor 5 is a success and I suspect many people would enjoy it. Now in recent years I seem to like a tilt toward warmth so for me the jury is still out if I will ultimately want to buy this headphone (I'm lucky enough to have it on loan from a friend).

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #87 of 305
Anyone else find that getting the leather pads on is an absolute bitch, even with the looping notch?

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #88 of 305
I hear the SE Monitor 5 as smooth and natural across the board. I actually found the midrange to be it's strong suit. There is sub-bass there for sure, but only appears when called for (the Mo-Fi 'Dark Side Of The Moon' shakes my skull!).

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #90 of 305
I hear the SE Monitor 5 as smooth and natural across the board. I actually found the midrange to be it's strong suit. There is sub-bass there for sure, but only appears when called for (the Mo-Fi 'Dark Side Of The Moon' shakes my skull!).
They are actually quite smooth and natural, but there is at least to my ears a little extra energy in the upper mids which often is going to be welcome, but if the music has any issues in that area you will hear it. For instance, given that I listen to a great deal of electronic music that would be where I encounter this. If I listen to something like the Eagles, or Fleetwood Mac, or Holy Cole Trio, not an issue ever, in fact, the extra mid range is a bonus with well mastered material. That is why for me the jury remains out. And as you know, the last few headphones I have owned have been a little closer to smooth sounding so it takes a little acclimating for sure. I know I am getting closer to wanting to keep these ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back