Official Specs Sheet from Pioneer.

V8AAgWv.jpg

JZDYanX.jpg

Attachments

• Pioneer-SE-Monitor5.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #17 of 305
Let's see which one will have more people posting, the reason why the other one didn't come up in my search was there was NO space between "SE-Monitor" and "5" Let's let nature take its course. I believe this thread is in the right forum as it will be a TOTL Closed Back pair of Headphones. Cheers!

And there isn't supposed to be one:

http://pioneer-headphones.com/japanese/se-monitor5/

Agree that one thread should suffice. Have posted some quick impressions in the "original" one.

May 31, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #19 of 305
of course they will be. it is your thread after all.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 305
This is awesome! Closed-back cans are my absolute favorite so I am glad that more and more companies are releasing closed-back "reference" models.

- InsanityOne :darthsmile:

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 305
I guess the question is how well the new Pioneer stacks up to the new Sony Z1R.

I'm a big fan of the SEM1 & Z1R I have both. I'm hoping the new Pioneer is just as tantalising.

Interesting how Pioneer are using biocellulose drivers & not ceramic drivers like they did in the SEM1.

Build quality certainly looks good - the rrp in Australia is $1299 AUD about $990 USD.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #24 of 305
Can you elaborate a bit what 'great' in this context means?

Firstly these have not been used much, very fresh out of the box and no doubt these stiff drivers will require some burn-in. Also the below is using the pleather pads, out of the box they are fitted with velour but include the pleather.

They are very reference like in their presentation with very tight and fast lows with excellent transient response but maybe too little in quantity for some tastes, they extend right down to the sub-bass with ease and linearity.

The mid range is detailed and a bit on the dry side, but also have a bit of a peak in the upper mid range that can induce a little fatigue.

The highs are slightly behind the mid-range in terms of presence, but they are very clear, and with Jazz all the technicalities are easily heard and distinguished.

I found they work best with well mastered music, as they have a habit of being quite revealing and unforgiving of bad recordings.

Most of the rock music I listen to sounds a little mediocre, but I stuck on some well recorded jazz and the double bass is propping up the piano, with the cymbals in the background and the soundstage has excellent height, and good width too, sounding more open than closed.

Classical and jazz excel with the separation being a strong point.

Trying to compare them is hard, as I mainly have open headphones on hand, but the only model I suppose they could be compared to is the Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation which also have a very open sound, but they have a more engaging and up beat sound, with more bass presence, but are not as good at picking apart the recording.

Lets let these burn-in for a bit now :)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #25 of 305
Firstly these have not been used much, very fresh out of the box and no doubt these stiff drivers will require some burn-in. Also the below is using the pleather pads, out of the box they are fitted with velour but include the pleather.

They are very reference like in their presentation with very tight and fast lows with excellent transient response but maybe too little in quantity for some tastes, they extend right down to the sub-bass with ease and linearity.

The mid range is detailed and a bit on the dry side, but also have a bit of a peak in the upper mid range that can induce a little fatigue.

The highs are slightly behind the mid-range in terms of presence, but they are very clear, and with Jazz all the technicalities are easily heard and distinguished.

I found they work best with well mastered music, as they have a habit of being quite revealing and unforgiving of bad recordings.

Most of the rock music I listen to sounds a little mediocre, but I stuck on some well recorded jazz and the double bass is propping up the piano, with the cymbals in the background and the soundstage has excellent height, and good width too, sounding more open than closed.

Classical and jazz excel with the separation being a strong point.

Trying to compare them is hard, as I mainly have open headphones on hand, but the only model I suppose they could be compared to is the Beyerdynamic T50p 2nd generation which also have a very open sound, but they have a more engaging and up beat sound, with more bass presence, but are not as good at picking apart the recording.

Lets let these burn-in for a bit now :)

Alright, thank you. This gives me quite an insight about these cans' performance.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jun 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #28 of 305
Initial Impressions:

Initial Impressions: Fresh out of the box, I swapped the velour cloth ear pads for the leather ones as I am one who perspires quite often and the leather ear pads are definitely more comfortable for me in the aspect. Headphones on, the SE-Monitor 5 is definitely one of the most comfortable closed-back I have worn.

Running through my usual favourites, first off to align expectations, it is NOT a closed back SE-Master 1. It, however, does display some characteristics of the SE-Master 1. It is evident that it is less bassy than that of the SE-Master 1, it does have the dynamism of the SE-Master 1 while the mids and bass are a little less forward than the SE-Master 1. It certainly ticks in terms the details and depth.

Comparing it with the iimpressions I have of the Sony Z1R, this baby doesn't sound as dark as the Sony Z1R, in my impressions, the Sony Z1R is tuned to "Sony Mode" which is less neutral. I find the SE-Monitor 5 to be more neutral and shall post more after I have "burn in" the headphone with my pink noise set up...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #30 of 305
I guess the question is how well the new Pioneer stacks up to the new Sony Z1R.

I'm a big fan of the SEM1 & Z1R I have both. I'm hoping the new Pioneer is just as tantalising.

Interesting how Pioneer are using biocellulose drivers & not ceramic drivers like they did in the SEM1.

Build quality certainly looks good - the rrp in Australia is $1299 AUD about $990 USD.

I returned the Z1R, got the Focal Utopia and then the SEM1. Had the SEM5 for 1.5 weeks and still burning in. I like the fact that Pioneer is using biocellulose drivers for this, the build quality is excellent. I am so far impressed by what I am hearing and being a more Jazz/Vocal person, I appreciate the neutrality it currently displays. For those looking for a warmer sound and more impactful bass, this headphone might not be for you. The bass is tight but not heavy, not so great for bass heads...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back