Pioneer's new TOTL Closed Back SE-Monitor 5 headphones
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #31 of 305
2nd Impression (after 36 hours of burn-in): The Pioneer SEM5 is a very musical headphone, especially for vocal and classical music. The lack of depth despite it being a detailed display makes it very unforgiving towards poorly mastered music, it lacks the depth to smooth out the flaws and make it really evident and in the face. I really like the SEM5 mainly for its neutrality and its detail, I am hoping for more depth, hopefully, I will get more when I hit closer to 120 hrs.

Just a short update.

Note: This is an impression based using the stock cables that came with the SEM5.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #33 of 305
I returned the Z1R, got the Focal Utopia and then the SEM1. Had the SEM5 for 1.5 weeks and still burning in. I like the fact that Pioneer is using biocellulose drivers for this, the build quality is excellent. I am so far impressed by what I am hearing and being a more Jazz/Vocal person, I appreciate the neutrality it currently displays. For those looking for a warmer sound and more impactful bass, this headphone might not be for you. The bass is tight but not heavy, not so great for bass heads...

Ha, the same story is with me. I returned Z1R as well. Had high hopes for these, perhaps too high. But those Focals, these are legit! One of the best set of cans subjectively I've heard thus far.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #34 of 305
Ha, the same story is with me. I returned Z1R as well. Had high hopes for these, perhaps too high. But those Focals, these are legit! One of the best set of cans subjectively I've heard thus far.

So what is one to do if they also need a pair of closed backs?
I quite liked the Z1R's however my Utopia's are truly in a different league - and I felt that I would always reach for them while the Z1R's remained on the shelf.
Truth be told I still need a pair of closed back which fully block out the television while my wife watches - and allows me to listen in bed while she sleeps. That is why I am still thinking about going back to the Z1R's - and also keeping my eye open to these Pioneer's.

There really does not seem to be anything else (other than the Sony's) which can be a contender to those of us who already own the Utopia's.
Can these Pioneer's do the job?

How is their isolation - do they block everything out? Do they leak?

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #36 of 305
3rd impression (after 50 hours of burn-in): The depth is starting to appear! Yes! this will definitely make listening more enjoyable. The bass is definitely tighter than most other headphones making it a favourite if you like strings instruments.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #37 of 305
3rd impression (after 50 hours of burn-in): The depth is starting to appear! Yes! this will definitely make listening more enjoyable. The bass is definitely tighter than most other headphones making it a favourite if you like strings instruments.

It's getting more and more interesting then!

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #38 of 305
My colleague has just finished writing his review on them, the review should be up on the Hifiheadphones website in the next few days :D

Burn-in does affect these in my opinion, the bass gets fuller overall, and the soundstage widens.

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #40 of 305
My colleague has just finished writing his review on them, the review should be up on the Hifiheadphones website in the next few days :D

Burn-in does affect these in my opinion, the bass gets fuller overall, and the soundstage widens.

Good to know, thank you!

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #43 of 305
Nice to see some feedback coming in on these. Intriguing.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #44 of 305
Hi there, second post on this forum. I do have a difficult decision to make. Have a Sony Z1R here at the moment and only two days left to return it to the seller. Unfortunately I don´t have an opportunity to listen to the Se Monitor 5 at the moment. I do love my HD800 and the IE800. It´s quite interestiing as some say the SEM5 is dull compared tp the Z1R, for another it is lighter and the Z1R darker. So what is Your impression, especially from those who did own a Z1R and send them back.
Thanks a lot and looking forward to Your answers.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #45 of 305
Ok, I did return the Sony Z1r as well and got the Monitor 5 some days ago. I only listened to it some hours right now but I already contacted the seller as it obviously had been opend before, so that I do not know how many hours it was used.
I teally do like the signature, the bass is very well controlled and doesn't interfere in any way with the Mids like the Z1r for example in Widor's Symphony Nr 5 in F Minor. I don't think it's harsh at all but I do like the HD800 alot, so this might be my taste.
What I really don't like about this can at the moment is the soundstage. The seperation is great, but the depth is disillusioning. If I do have the feeling that I'm approx in the 5th to 8th row in a concert hall it's like between 1st row and conductor on the Monitor 5. I really don't get it. Why didn't they do something like Sony or Sennheiser with their headphoned with the bent driver unit?!
I'm not quite sure if there is such amount of depth coming in the future. Perhapse I should return the cans and wait for Sennheiser to produce a closed HD800 derivative.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back