Pioneer's new TOTL Closed Back SE-Monitor 5 headphones
Jul 28, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #46 of 305
So what is one to do if they also need a pair of closed backs?
I quite liked the Z1R's however my Utopia's are truly in a different league...

There really does not seem to be anything else (other than the Sony's) which can be a contender to those of us who already own the Utopia's.
Can these Pioneer's do the job?

How is their isolation - do they block everything out? Do they leak?

Well, they are not better or worse but different. Concerning comfort the Sony is lighter, wear comfort is almost equal so I think the Sony wins here.
Isolation and leakage is almost the same.
Well soundstage, I think there is no better closed headphone than the Sony at the moment
But the Pioneer does have IMHO the better sound and that's what it is almost all about

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #47 of 305
Ok, I did return the Sony Z1r as well and got the Monitor 5 some days ago. I only listened to it some hours right now but I already contacted the seller as it obviously had been opend before, so that I do not know how many hours it was used.
I teally do like the signature, the bass is very well controlled and doesn't interfere in any way with the Mids like the Z1r for example in Widor's Symphony Nr 5 in F Minor. I don't think it's harsh at all but I do like the HD800 alot, so this might be my taste.
What I really don't like about this can at the moment is the soundstage. The seperation is great, but the depth is disillusioning. If I do have the feeling that I'm approx in the 5th to 8th row in a concert hall it's like between 1st row and conductor on the Monitor 5. I really don't get it. Why didn't they do something like Sony or Sennheiser with their headphoned with the bent driver unit?!
I'm not quite sure if there is such amount of depth coming in the future. Perhapse I should return the cans and wait for Sennheiser to produce a closed HD800 derivative.
Not quite sure what you are getting at here..

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #49 of 305
Unfortunately I do neu have the AKG 872 or did hear it. I was thinking the same, but with the closure of AKG in Vienna I was a little but concerned about quality or the support particularly with regards to the fact that most of the staff that developed this headphone left the company.
But what I read about the AKG 872, the Bass might be more prominent

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #50 of 305
Copied from my post in the SEM1 thread:

I also have the SE-Monitor5. Great pair of cans!
Just enough bass (although I wouldn't have minded a bit more) which is well controlled, mids a bit forward with a hint of warmth, a bit less etended in the treble area than the M1 but still more than enough and not bright at all (after burn-in), large soundstage compared to most closed cans but not as large as a TH-900 (and certainly LA-900).
Being a hardrock fan what amazed me is the way is plays those electric guitars. Like the M1 but even more so you can hear the raw power of these guitars which reminds me of big speakers I had in the 80s, something I lack in most most headphones. Like the M1 they perform great with any genre of music I listen to which doesn't include the electronic techno and dubstep stuff. No idea how they sound with music like that.
Anyway, I found the M5 to be a great pair of cans at a price that can be considered nice these days.
And the same solid build quality as the M1.

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #51 of 305
SEM5 vs AKG k872 for low volume listening and dynamics ?
I have both. I'll do a comparison in the not too distant future, hopefully.

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #52 of 305
So what's the word on the street on the SE-Monitor5? It seems that, like the Master1, it has been released to little or no fanfare and already fading to obscurity.

I haven't found any reviews. They seem to have the looks, comfort and construction of the Master1, so sound is the big question.

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #53 of 305
These are amazing headphones. So tonally accurate, yet spacious. It's everything the HD800 should have been. People miss out on there at their own peril.

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #55 of 305
Are they better than the Aeon? I was actually very disappointed in the sound of the Aeon - it just sounded hollow to me, and lacked bite in the low end. I liked the comfort of the Aeon but nothing else.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #56 of 305
Are they better than the Aeon? I was actually very disappointed in the sound of the Aeon - it just sounded hollow to me, and lacked bite in the low end. I liked the comfort of the Aeon but nothing else.

I prefer them to Aeon, but tastes are different. I preferred the more accurate and dynamic sound of the SE Monitor 5

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #58 of 305
I prefer them to Aeon, but tastes are different. I preferred the more accurate and dynamic sound of the SE Monitor 5
Yes, they are different. AEON can be a tiny bit shiny on top and a trifle lean in the lower mids (inserts do help alleviate this) but it has wonderful detail and clarity. The Pioneer midrange is to die for....and no boom or screech to spoil it either.

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #60 of 305
I had the Z1R and now have the Monitor 5. Well, it's hard to say as they are so different. I think that the dark and muffle Sound was a result of the very prominent bass and the weak mids of the Z1R as I think the hights were very good. But I do not have a dull feeling at all with the SEM5 although it is not that crispy like my HD800.
IMHO the sound will be much clearer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back