Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Dec 8, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #241 of 1,830
I'll be sure to keep this two things in mind when I return to the shop this weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

You're the best.  Thanks.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #242 of 1,830
  I'm not advocating for Onkyo is better in many ways but if you guys have plan to go balanced in the future, the SQ pretty much increases like 30-40% subjectively for me. I gotta say that I'm quite puzzled on how the parent company can't get the software right though.

I will take the 30/40% increase in sq with a pinch of salt although I wish the pioneer had the power of the balanced output,the pioneer seems a lot less than the Fiio X7 which outputs 100mW.I dont know why they even bothered to have a gain selector,(although I still cant use it much due to a sinus infection,so hopefully it will suffice without the the need for an external amp when that clears up)it also looks like the Pioneer has had a firmware upgrade from the original dated 10/11/2015,as it looks to have a different ui seen on those earlier youtube videos as mentioned earlier the build is on par with AK and the ui is fast and fluid with not one crash or freeze.Bluetooth APTX sounds great with my Pioneer network streamer,although Pioneer have said it came with DLNA client installed which it doesnt ,hopefully like X7 it will be in the next firmware.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #243 of 1,830
  I will take the 30/40% increase in sq with a pinch of salt although I wish the pioneer had the power of the balanced output,the pioneer seems a lot less than the Fiio X7 which outputs 100mW.I dont know why they even bothered to have a gain selector,(although I still cant use it much due to a sinus infection,so hopefully it will suffice without the the need for an external amp when that clears up)it also looks like the Pioneer has had a firmware upgrade from the original dated 10/11/2015,as it looks to have a different ui seen on those earlier youtube videos as mentioned earlier the build is on par with AK and the ui is fast and fluid with not one crash or freeze.Bluetooth APTX sounds great with my Pioneer network streamer,although Pioneer have said it came with DNLA client installed which it doesnt ,hopefully like X7 it will be in the next firmware.

Yeah, that's silly. 30-40% subjective increase in SQ can be due to coffee, or its absence, a cold, or the weather. There are objective measures in which the XP-D1's output is measurably much better, but will you hear it at normal listening volumes? I would wager my savings that you could not reliably tell the difference. A machine can at volumes that exceed 120dB. But no one listens to such volumes that still has working ears. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #245 of 1,830
Quoted from the Onkyo thread.

Quote:
Just an FYI, I emailed Pricejapan about when they are going to start selling the Pioneer. 

I will notify you guys when I hear back from them.

Basically, I decided against the Onkyo. Balanced Out I can live without (don't have any balanced gear yet), but folder browsing natively in the stock player I cannot live without (won't use a third party player because then I can't use the handy transport buttons on the side of the dap.  And using a file browser to browse by folder doesn't work with the stock player)

At the same time, I could buy the Pioneer XDP-100R from a third-party seller on amazon.ca/amazon.com, but from that seller it is more expensive the Onkyo at pricejapan.com.   Not to mention I trust pricejapan.com, but random re-sellers on Amazon I have less confidence in.  That is why I emailed pricejapan.com

There are two legit retailers in the UK, but 500 GBP is like $1000 Canadian dollars, so, that is even way more than the resellers on Amazon.

I don't understand UK pricing.   1500 British pounds for the AK120ii....equals over $3000 Canadian dollars.   But here in Canada the AK120ii goes for like $2000 dollars max, and even last week it was on sale for $1300.  So I'm not sure what's up with that, but it ain't my problem.  I'll wait to buy mine from pricejapan.com before I pay UK prices.    No offense to the British retailers here, you guys have your margins that you need to make to stay in business and turn a profit.  I get it.  But for some reason in North America such devices are much less expensive, even when you factor in the exchange rate.

All this is starting to get really annoying.  I don't understand why Onkyo is doing such a half-assed job of getting these daps out there into the world markets.  The demand is there, but Onkyo doesn't seem to be too concerned about making money, I guess, because they are not trying very hard to meet that demand.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #248 of 1,830
I'm confused, that review states it does not have digital out so why are some people saying it pairs with a Mojo ? Quite why you would want both devices is beyond me as stated on another thread but does it have a digital output or not ?

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #249 of 1,830
I'm confused, that review states it does not have digital out so why are some people saying it pairs with a Mojo ? Quite why you would want both devices is beyond me as stated on another thread but does it have a digital output or not ?

I think they are referring to a lack of optical or digital coaxial output. It has a micro USB output (via OTG cable)

Would be interesting to compare this to an Android phone or tablet connected to a Mojo to see if there is an audible difference / improvement.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #251 of 1,830

I'll tel you why I'm interested: 2 x card slots plus streaming apps, plus ability to just take the DAP with you if you don't feel like bringing the mojo stack

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #252 of 1,830

I'll tel you why I'm interested: 2 x card slots plus streaming apps, plus ability to just take the DAP with you if you don't feel like bringing the mojo stack

It's apparently a big step down in sound quality from the Mojo so would you really be happy listening to it as a stand alone ? Personally having the Mojo means I can't listen to anything now unless it's hooked up to it.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #253 of 1,830
  It's apparently a big step down in sound quality from the Mojo so would you really be happy listening to it as a stand alone ? Personally having the Mojo means I can't listen to anything now unless it's hooked up to it.

Where did you hear it's a big step down from Mojo, I've read two reports that Pioneer and Onkyo have much larger sound stages than the Mojo, but other than that in single ended Mojo is better in other traits, but that the balanced output from the Onkyo catches it up to the Mojo.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #254 of 1,830

Where did you hear it's a big step down from Mojo, I've read two reports that Pioneer and Onkyo have much larger sound stages than the Mojo, but other than that in single ended Mojo is better in other traits, but that the balanced output from the Onkyo catches it up to the Mojo.

https://www.avforums.com/review/pioneer-xdp-100r-portable-audio-player-review.12131

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #255 of 1,830

May be right - and for sure I will primarily use it with the Mojo.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back