Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Dec 6, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #226 of 1,830

Thanks, that's good to know that it performs as good as the Onkyo in SE mode.

thanks for your impressions, now the Pioneer is on top of my DAP shortlist. I've always prefered natural sound, with great soundstage over congested, overyl aggressive dynamic sound. Are you using your Pioneer mostly with IEMs and portable headphones? I guess the amp is good enough to drive everything from multi amature IEMs to a little power hungrier portable headphones? I have no intentions to use it for hard to drive full size-headphones, but would be good to know if the Pioneers amp can keep up with the dac

Welcome to the family.... I am using Westone Umpro30...  When I demo the unit at the shop , I already fall in love with it as compare to Ibasso DX-80 which I audit earlier on and hold back my wallet wanting to wait compare with 100r. My wait is worthwhile which i had nos of sleepless night... hahaha

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #227 of 1,830
I'm not advocating for Onkyo is better in many ways but if you guys have plan to go balanced in the future, the SQ pretty much increases like 30-40% subjectively for me. I gotta say that I'm quite puzzled on how the parent company can't get the software right though.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #228 of 1,830
  I'm not advocating for Onkyo is better in many ways but if you guys have plan to go balanced in the future, the SQ pretty much increases like 30-40% subjectively for me. I gotta say that I'm quite puzzled on how the parent company can't get the software right though.

I also waiting for Onkyo to reach Singapore... I will audit it , if its better i might go broke again.... 

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #232 of 1,830

Has anyone tested the battery life yet? Is it 10 or 16 hrs of music play per charge?

Quote:
getting about 14 at the moment.

How many hours of playtime on one charge with only playing mp3 320Kbps? And how is the SQ with mp3 files?  I guess and hope, that the Pioneer will sounds great with my sony xb500 headphones....I still have an other new one in the box, the black edition  
basshead.gif
  but for now I still can't decide which one I will buy, the Pioneer xdp -100r or the cowon pleneu M
  ....and PhilW, enjoy your new Pioneer dap 
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #234 of 1,830
Don't worry about build quality, it's solid, I shook my Onkyo quite hard for awhile and there's no sound of component shaking or anything, The finish should be nicer than Fiio X7 too.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #238 of 1,830
I just had the opportunity to test it out at a local audio store in Singapore and I must say I came away impressed.

Unfortunately I will have to abstain from giving any detailed impressions owing to not having my own SD card with tracks that I'm familiar with.

What I can say is that the build quality of the device is absolutely superb, on the level of the new generation AK players. The buttons are well machined and the layout is obviously well thought out with good physical ergonomics.

The UI of the device is impressive to say the least. I've been following the Onkyo thread closely and it seems that the UI is pretty crap. No such problems for the Pioneer. The display screen is at or at least near the level of my iPhone 5, whilst the interface itself is very responsive, with minimal lag time. It took some getting used it coming from an iPhone minimalist UI, but it didn't take more than 5 mins to get the hang of basic functions. I took a bit of time to compare with the DX80 which was also available for audition, and I believe it comes down to preferences. The DX80 has a very simple UI geared towards solely music playback. The Pioneer has many more 'layers' and can obviously run a myriad of different apps, both audio and non-audio.

SQ wise it is pretty phenomenal. I came to the store with only my wallet and phone, and hence requested for the Campfire Audio Jupiter to audition. Before I got started, i benchmarked the Jupiter against my iPhone 5 running Tidal and found the overall signature to be slightly on the warmish side with a slight emphasis on the bass and with tremendous extensions on both ends (more on that in the Jupiter thread later on).

Back on topic, the Pioneer has a very musical sound signature, with excellent clarity and detail, further emphasized with an aggressive and upfront presentation. The only reference track I could use (wasn't familiar with any other track on the SD card) was Hotel California by the Eagles (sidetrack but im not sure why every single SD card at every single audio store I've been to during an audition session seems to have Hotel California preloaded on it) and the bridge before the final chorus was perhaps the best showcase of the overall sound signature. Whilst the DX80 had a more organic sound signature, with very good detail and clarity in its own regard, it was less pronounced and presented more 'towards the back'.

I could see the Pioneer actually being slightly too aggressive for those who prefer a more natural sound presentation, to which the DX80 would be a truly excellent choice. The Pioneer though would be a terrific choice for those seeking a vivid, musical DAP.

To be perfectly honest, I came to the shop not intending to purchase anything at all (my wallet was in fact with my girlfriend who was doing a rather expensive manicure, ouch). But the DX80 and Pioneer both impressed my suitably enough to make me seriously think of leaving with either of them on the spot. Mercifully, I was spared having to make a decision because the Pioneer had run out of stock. I now have some time to make careful deliberation before making my choice.

I will definitely be going back to the shop to audition both the DX80 and the Pioneer again over the weekend. Will make sure to bring my own IEMs and SD card with me and do more extensive testing and report back here again.

If anyone wants a specific track for me to test (on either the DX80 or the Pioneer), I can bring along an AK120II to do a thorough AB. Just drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out.

Hope this post is useful!

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #239 of 1,830
I just had the opportunity to test it out at a local audio store in Singapore and I must say I came away impressed.

Unfortunately I will have to abstain from giving any detailed impressions owing to not having my own SD card with tracks that I'm familiar with.

What I can say is that the build quality of the device is absolutely superb, on the level of the new generation AK players. The buttons are well machined and the layout is obviously well thought out with good physical ergonomics.

The UI of the device is impressive to say the least. I've been following the Onkyo thread closely and it seems that the UI is pretty crap. No such problems for the Pioneer. The display screen is at or at least near the level of my iPhone 5, whilst the interface itself is very responsive, with minimal lag time. It took some getting used it coming from an iPhone minimalist UI, but it didn't take more than 5 mins to get the hang of basic functions. I took a bit of time to compare with the DX80 which was also available for audition, and I believe it comes down to preferences. The DX80 has a very simple UI geared towards solely music playback. The Pioneer has many more 'layers' and can obviously run a myriad of different apps, both audio and non-audio.

SQ wise it is pretty phenomenal. I came to the store with only my wallet and phone, and hence requested for the Campfire Audio Jupiter to audition. Before I got started, i benchmarked the Jupiter against my iPhone 5 running Tidal and found the overall signature to be slightly on the warmish side with a slight emphasis on the bass and with tremendous extensions on both ends (more on that in the Jupiter thread later on).

Back on topic, the Pioneer has a very musical sound signature, with excellent clarity and detail, further emphasized with an aggressive and upfront presentation. The only reference track I could use (wasn't familiar with any other track on the SD card) was Hotel California by the Eagles (sidetrack but im not sure why every single SD card at every single audio store I've been to during an audition session seems to have Hotel California preloaded on it) and the bridge before the final chorus was perhaps the best showcase of the overall sound signature. Whilst the DX80 had a more organic sound signature, with very good detail and clarity in its own regard, it was less pronounced and presented more 'towards the back'.

I could see the Pioneer actually being slightly too aggressive for those who prefer a more natural sound presentation, to which the DX80 would be a truly excellent choice. The Pioneer though would be a terrific choice for those seeking a vivid, musical DAP.

To be perfectly honest, I came to the shop not intending to purchase anything at all (my wallet was in fact with my girlfriend who was doing a rather expensive manicure, ouch). But the DX80 and Pioneer both impressed my suitably enough to make me seriously think of leaving with either of them on the spot. Mercifully, I was spared having to make a decision because the Pioneer had run out of stock. I now have some time to make careful deliberation before making my choice.

I will definitely be going back to the shop to audition both the DX80 and the Pioneer again over the weekend. Will make sure to bring my own IEMs and SD card with me and do more extensive testing and report back here again.

If anyone wants a specific track for me to test (on either the DX80 or the Pioneer), I can bring along an AK120II to do a thorough AB. Just drop me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out.

Hope this post is useful
At this point, the only things I am hesitant about are: does gapless playback REALLY work, like how it works on an ipod?  Because my Fiio X1 supposedly has gapless playback, but with non-flac files there is a slight gap.  
And, is there actually, for sure, folder browsing in the stock player?   It just blows my mind that the Pioneer would have it but the Onkyo would not.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back