Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Dec 2, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #197 of 1,830
Been listening to this DAP all evening and I must say.......I'm impressed. It has one of the most revealing characteristics I have heard from any DAP. With ESS at the heart of this unit detail was always going to be on the agenda. The construction is gorgeous and I love the feel of the cold metal and weight of the unit. Definitely a step up from Jr in my opinion. Not as much power as AR-M2 but it's a different beast. This has more refinement over the AR-M2, where the AR-M2 is brutus. The feature set of the XDP100R kind of makes it a no brainer at £500 tbh.

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #198 of 1,830
Been listening to this DAP all evening and I must say.......I'm impressed. It has one of the most revealing characteristics I have heard from any DAP. With ESS at the heart of this unit detail was always going to be on the agenda. The construction is gorgeous and I love the feel of the cold metal and weight of the unit. Definitely a step up from Jr in my opinion. Not as much power as AR-M2 but it's a different beast. This has more refinement over the AR-M2, where the AR-M2 is brutus. The feature set of the XDP100R kind of makes it a no brainer at £500 tbh.

How's the soundstaging of the Pioneer like? And does the mojo make for a big step up? :)

Some people say that the Pioneer and the Onkyo sound almost the same, and that the Onkyo is much more transparent and spacious Than the mojo. I find it possible regarding the spaciousness but in terms of resolution and the finesse, I find the mojo hard to beat in the portable realm :)

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #199 of 1,830

Do you have a demo in store now?

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #202 of 1,830
How's the soundstaging of the Pioneer like? And does the mojo make for a big step up?
smily_headphones1.gif

Some people say that the Pioneer and the Onkyo sound almost the same, and that the Onkyo is much more transparent and spacious Than the mojo. I find it possible regarding the spaciousness but in terms of resolution and the finesse, I find the mojo hard to beat in the portable realm
smily_headphones1.gif

I myself find Mojo to be too congested, Onkyo is airy and reveals many details. I think the single ended of Pioneer should sound almost like Onkyo's but the balanced is where Onkyo shine. If you got the chance and a wee bit more money to spare, I say go for broke.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #203 of 1,830
Curious if the Pioneer has the same software limitations that the Onkyo has right now? From some noises on the Onkyo thrread it sounds like the Onkyo needs a fw update to add a few features and smooth out the UI to make it a little more user friendly.

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #209 of 1,830

Currently, it's available on amazon.com as japan import at ~ 650$

Thanks, I see it now.  I would be wary of importing from Japan, though, because of warranty concerns.  But it is tempting.  So it looks like, for whatever reason, the Pioneer displays album art during playback, but the Onkyo does not.   How bizarre.  Can anyone attest to whether the Pioneer has folder browsing in its stock player?

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #210 of 1,830
Wow, the price of Pioneer on Amazon is even higher than Onkyo. Pricejapan sell DP-X1 at 641$ (FedEx cost included). For me I don't worry much about warranty. If the unit has a problem I just return it to Pricejapan and they will take care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back