Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Dec 5, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #212 of 1,830
I like Pioneer design more, but Onkyo should sound better, right?

On the paper dual DAC and ACG mode should make Onkyo sound better on SE.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #213 of 1,830
  Thanks, I see it now.  I would be wary of importing from Japan, though, because of warranty concerns.  But it is tempting.  So it looks like, for whatever reason, the Pioneer displays album art during playback, but the Onkyo does not.   How bizarre.  Can anyone attest to whether the Pioneer has folder browsing in its stock player?

Yes it able to browse folder with its stock player. Its UI is more interactive than Sony ZX-1 .

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #218 of 1,830
  Yes it able to browse folder with its stock player. Its UI is more interactive than Sony ZX-1 .

Well that settles it.   While the Onkyo DP-X1 may have dual dacs and balanced out, at least the Pioneer gets the fundamentals right: folder browsing and displaying album art.   And less money to boot.   Easy decision for me. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #219 of 1,830
i like the UI . very easy to go setting should u need to make any changes. Onkyo cost more might as well use the extra cash for a better amp. jus my opnion.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #222 of 1,830
i like the UI . very easy to go setting should u need to make any changes. Onkyo cost more might as well use the extra cash for a better amp. jus my opnion.

So as far as I got it right, you're happy with the player. So you are satisfied with the UI, guess it's fast, responsive and intuitive? How about the sound, could you tell us more impressions do you or did you own other DAPs in the past and could make some comparisons?

I am also deciding between the Onkyo and the Pioneer. I have to say that I am puzzled that the UI is that different? Folder browsing not possible with the Onkyo and so on....
Really waiting for some measurements of the Pioneer and some comparisons between the Onkyo and the Pioneer in SE mode.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #223 of 1,830

So as far as I got it right, you're happy with the player. So you are satisfied with the UI, guess it's fast, responsive and intuitive? How about the sound, could you tell us more impressions do you or did you own other DAPs in the past and could make some comparisons?

I am also deciding between the Onkyo and the Pioneer. I have to say that I am puzzled that the UI is that different? Folder browsing not possible with the Onkyo and so on....
Really waiting for some measurements of the Pioneer and some comparisons between the Onkyo and the Pioneer in SE mode.

Post #180 has a link to some measurements

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #224 of 1,830

Yeah I am happy with the player. I own a A15, ZX1 and Fiio X1.  As for sound quality ,clarity, staging , imaging  is way better than ZX1 , except for low frequency , not as punchy as ZX1. But I feel that 100R bass is cleaner sort of SQ Bass. I believe onkyo will sound thicker due to dual Dac? As for folder browsing issue, I believe it the same as case Sony, need to format the SD using the player. Then the folder problem will be solved else u will see all song not in the folder. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #225 of 1,830

Post #180 has a link to some measurements

Thanks, that's good to know that it performs as good as the Onkyo in SE mode.

Yeah I am happy with the player. I own a A15, ZX1 and Fiio X1.  As for sound quality ,clarity, staging , imaging  is way better than ZX1 , except for low frequency , not as punchy as ZX1. But I feel that 100R bass is cleaner sort of SQ Bass. I believe onkyo will sound thicker due to dual Dac? As for folder browsing issue, I believe it the same as case Sony, need to format the SD using the player. Then the folder problem will be solved else u will see all song not in the folder. 

thanks for your impressions, now the Pioneer is on top of my DAP shortlist. I've always prefered natural sound, with great soundstage over congested, overyl aggressive dynamic sound. Are you using your Pioneer mostly with IEMs and portable headphones? I guess the amp is good enough to drive everything from multi amature IEMs to a little power hungrier portable headphones? I have no intentions to use it for hard to drive full size-headphones, but would be good to know if the Pioneers amp can keep up with the dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back