Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Sep 2, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,697 of 1,830
Just for info, if you download USB player pro from Google Play, you can plug any external DAC in with no trouble. It also includes streaming built in for Tidal and Qobuz and displays bitrates. It really is worth a go

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,698 of 1,830
Another person here requesting any info regarding 3rd party player apps and whether they utilize the ESS 9018 DAC. Mostly curious due to my desire to use the Tidal player, but still haven't found firm verification that it actually uses the Sabre. Especially important when they eventually update for MQA streaming. If not, is there a way to get it to be utilized via rooting or otherwise?

Btw anyone successfully load the stock Onkyo player onto this Pioneer unit? I know they're basically the same but I kinda like the funky circle skin on the Onkyo and am curious if I can port it over somehow (rooting, firmware, etc.)

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #1,699 of 1,830
Another person here requesting any info regarding 3rd party player apps and whether they utilize the ESS 9018 DAC. Mostly curious due to my desire to use the Tidal player, but still haven't found firm verification that it actually uses the Sabre. Especially important when they eventually update for MQA streaming. If not, is there a way to get it to be utilized via rooting or otherwise?

Btw anyone successfully load the stock Onkyo player onto this Pioneer unit? I know they're basically the same but I kinda like the funky circle skin on the Onkyo and am curious if I can port it over somehow (rooting, firmware, etc.)

Why wouldn't it use the Sabre, isn't that the only DAC in the Pioneer?

Surely this is already rendering MQA streamed via Tidal - every other MQA compatible piece of kit I own renders Tidal MQA?

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #1,700 of 1,830
Apparently, due to it being on an Android platform, the DAC duties can be carried out on the processor(?) when the app doesn't specify a passthrough/Sabre. Maybe someone will chime in with the technical details, but I know it's been explained earlier in this thread.

And yes, the desktop version of Tidal currently streams MQA (when showing Master as the stream quality), but the mobile versions currently do not (max is Hifi or 320.)

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,701 of 1,830
Apparently, due to it being on an Android platform, the DAC duties can be carried out on the processor(?) when the app doesn't specify a passthrough/Sabre. Maybe someone will chime in with the technical details, but I know it's been explained earlier in this thread.

And yes, the desktop version of Tidal currently streams MQA (when showing Master as the stream quality), but the mobile versions currently do not (max is Hifi or 320.)

Thanks, that's important to know. Given that the main source of MQA by far is now Tidal (especially given the huge amount of releases in the last couple of weeks), this dap is not so useful to me if it can't play full MQA from Tidal (which is one of its main selling points.

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #1,702 of 1,830
Why wouldn't it use the Sabre, isn't that the only DAC in the Pioneer?

Not sure if there has ever been any official communication from Pioneer/Onkyo on this, but take a look at this post in the Onkyo thread which suggests that all software goes through the onboard DAC, built-in to the device's main Snapdragon processor, using standard systems calls...unless it's been programmed specifically to use a secondary DAC.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/onk...d-256-android-5.780642/page-970#post-13543947

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,703 of 1,830
Thanks for taking the time to direct us to more concrete info.

It sounds like Pioneer/Onkyo might be afraid to admit then that what we discovered is indeed true, and that the Sabre DAC is limited to their branded players only (despite their 3rd party app support mentions.) Granted I'm an iPhone user, so rooting devices is a new concept for me having not previously owned another Android device, but even that sounds like it only gives hardware DAC access to a particular version of PowerAmp.

Since the only feature I'm looking to utilize that the stock player doesn't do is stream MQA on Tidal when they release that feature (and one of the main selling points for me to get this DAP), it looks like rooting isn't going to be much of a solution for me. Perhaps the Tidal app will be written to include optimizations for the Pioneer/Onkyo DACs since they're some of the only MQA mobile devices available, but that could be a pipe dream and I might just have to download my MQA after all... :/

Sep 8, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #1,704 of 1,830
Update available in the store for the Music App, - What's New? - Supports Onkyo music downloader and Minor Bug fixes

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,706 of 1,830
Sep 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,707 of 1,830
A new owner of the 100R here. I have a question.

Has anyone any experience with Meridian Explorer 1/2 as external DAC? When I connect with a OTG cable to the 100R, the lights on the Meridian don't turn on and the Output Audio Route in settings show Tablet as the external device.

Not that I have any problem with the sound out of the 100R. But I'm keen to try other music apps other then the stock one.

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #1,708 of 1,830
A new owner of the 100R here. I have a question.

Has anyone any experience with Meridian Explorer 1/2 as external DAC? When I connect with a OTG cable to the 100R, the lights on the Meridian don't turn on and the Output Audio Route in settings show Tablet as the external device.

Not that I have any problem with the sound out of the 100R. But I'm keen to try other music apps other then the stock one.
To answer my own question. The Explorer needs external power. It works when connected to a powered hub. Annoyingly the Neutron app evaluation period just expired in :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back