Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Jul 24, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,666 of 1,830
Firstly, I want to thank all the early adopters out there that fought through the initial firmwares, seeked and gave others advice, and generally figured out what this device can/can't do. I read through (but didn't study) all 111 pages.....Seeing that it seemed to end up being a stable enough platform for my own needs and the momentary price drop on Amazon for the silver/white version for $249 I now have one on the way. This will be replacing a DX50 running custom firmware that had been perfectly capable but with an ever expanding library was kind of tough to navigate. Most of my library is flac but do have a few HR titles as well as 320 but nothing lower. The UI and the added memory slot were the main factors in my taking the plunge right now. Will be using my Null cabled tf10s with this so I don't expect any volume issues; if the DX drove them I think this will too.

Couple of questions:

1) Mac users able to manage files ok? I did download the XDAP Link software for mac. If that doesn't work well enough could I use MediaMonkey that I have installed on my old windows laptops?

2) Anyone have any luck finding the "official" Pioneer case at a reasonable price? Any other cases out there that anyone has tried? Will be using the unit mostly at home but also for the occasional flight/layover/etc. If all else fails I may just slip it in a neoprene sleeve I guess. TIA

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #1,667 of 1,830
^
1) I find the XDAP Link software (for Windows) terrible to use. Not sure about the Mac version. I do have a Mac but I just use one of my Windows machines to simply copy/paste files to the Pioneer. Much quicker.

2) I bought the official case (white leather) thru eBay for around $50 US about a year ago. Not sure what you consider as "reasonable price". This whole dedicated high-end/high-res DAP segment is a fairly niche market and prices tend to be at the higher end for accessories compared to mobile phones and iPods.

You sir got that 100r at a really good price considering a year ago these were in the neighbourhood of $500~$600. Still an excellent DAP to own, imo. It is now my travel/office dap while my new DX200 stays at home.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #1,668 of 1,830
I also found the best way to transfer music is by click and drag in file explorer.

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #1,669 of 1,830
Thanks for the replies guys. I had seen on eBay several covers just under $100 but did see a few at around $50 which is what I would call reasonable. I saw one this morning for $1k which gave me a chuckle. Dignis made a leather cover for the dx50 that I paid around $45 for if if memory serves.

Regarding file transfer, with the DX50 I would pop the card in an SD adapter then into the slot on my mac and drag n drop away. Will likely continue this with the pioneer if the software is too wonky.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #1,670 of 1,830
[QUOTE="
2) Anyone have any luck finding the "official" Pioneer case at a reasonable price? Any other cases out there that anyone has tried? Will be using the unit mostly at home but also for the occasional flight/layover/etc. If all else fails I may just slip it in a neoprene sleeve I guess. TIA[/QUOTE]

About the original case.... Don't buy this piece of rubbish. Once it is placed in this case you will never get it out again, because of the large volume knob. I tried, because I forgot to insert the memory card. I had to cut it open leaving a scratch on the player. So be warned

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,672 of 1,830
About the original case.... Don't buy this piece of rubbish. Once it is placed in this case you will never get it out again, because of the large volume knob. I tried, because I forgot to insert the memory card. I had to cut it open leaving a scratch on the player. So be warned

:grey_question::grey_question::grey_question:

I've never experienced such problem with the case. Have removed it several times without issue. :-/

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #1,674 of 1,830
I had no such luck. I bought the thing to avoid scratches and now this. Really upset about it
Sounds like user error. I know a lot of people who purchased the oficial case and no one else I know of had issues with it.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #1,675 of 1,830
So in looking around for cases I came across Harrow Audio (I think) which mentioned that the 300r case will fit the 100r if one removes the bottom bumper. I was wondering how the stock 100r case would fit without the bumper since removing it will be the first thing I do tomorrow when it arrives. I'm still on the fence over the upper bar; we'll see....Seems we have some options I wasn't aware of initially; just thought I'd mention it since Amazon has the black 300r case for just over $45.

Leon- I can understand your frustration and can see how it could happen. These covers are usually 2 or 3 very thin layers; leather or poly over cardboard over cloth. All it would take would be for one of the layers to pull away and wad up under to wedge the player in. Was this what happened with yours?

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #1,677 of 1,830
So in looking around for cases I came across Harrow Audio (I think) which mentioned that the 300r case will fit the 100r if one removes the bottom bumper. I was wondering how the stock 100r case would fit without the bumper since removing it will be the first thing I do tomorrow when it arrives. I'm still on the fence over the upper bar; we'll see....Seems we have some options I wasn't aware of initially; just thought I'd mention it since Amazon has the black 300r case for just over $45.

Leon- I can understand your frustration and can see how it could happen. These covers are usually 2 or 3 very thin layers; leather or poly over cardboard over cloth. All it would take would be for one of the layers to pull away and wad up under to wedge the player in. Was this what happened with yours?

No Nothing happened like this. The part above the volume knob was too narrow. No way to get it out. Even broken my nails on it

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #1,678 of 1,830
Just received my 100r this afternoon. Battery was completely dead so got it charging and once up to 25% I started setup. Considering the .75gb download it really didn't take too long to update. Installed my memory cards and navigated to a few music files for a quick listen; I think I'm going to love this dap. Listened to a couple of tracks from Daft Punk's RAM and some Mazzy Star and thought it sounded very clean and dead silent between tracks. Now letting it charge the rest of the way and syncing in the background so the album/artist/genre/etc menus will populate.

In going through the settings I saw only 2 gain settings; zero and -3db. I thought I saw where there were 5 settings? Maybe that was with a different app or I was just wrong. I didn't find the unit as big as nearly everyone made it sound. Not much thicker/wider than my iPhone 6 in a commuter otterbox case and about the same length with the bumpers in place. Not the "phablet" I was afraid it was going to be. Does look and feel like a quality piece of equipment though. That bottom bumper is coming off today; likely keeping the upper in place.

I haven't tried the xdap software and probably won't; I had 1 card I pulled from the DX50 and the other a spare and didn't encounter any issues with weird file names or anything. We'll see.

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,679 of 1,830
Just received my 100r this afternoon. Battery was completely dead so got it charging and once up to 25% I started setup. Considering the .75gb download it really didn't take too long to update. Installed my memory cards and navigated to a few music files for a quick listen; I think I'm going to love this dap. Listened to a couple of tracks from Daft Punk's RAM and some Mazzy Star and thought it sounded very clean and dead silent between tracks. Now letting it charge the rest of the way and syncing in the background so the album/artist/genre/etc menus will populate.

In going through the settings I saw only 2 gain settings; zero and -3db. I thought I saw where there were 5 settings? Maybe that was with a different app or I was just wrong. I didn't find the unit as big as nearly everyone made it sound. Not much thicker/wider than my iPhone 6 in a commuter otterbox case and about the same length with the bumpers in place. Not the "phablet" I was afraid it was going to be. Does look and feel like a quality piece of equipment though. That bottom bumper is coming off today; likely keeping the upper in place.

I haven't tried the xdap software and probably won't; I had 1 card I pulled from the DX50 and the other a spare and didn't encounter any issues with weird file names or anything. We'll see.

the gain setting you mention is for
DSD to PCM via USB which is located in the music player settings.

you want to go to android settings (gear icon) then sound & notification and scroll to gain setting. that has the amp gain

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back