Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Sep 30, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #976 of 2,535
I agree 100% John, Pioneer/Onkyo should stand by their product. I bought mine from a local retailer so hopefully if something does go wrong with it I will get better support.

Your's (and plenty of other's) stories for poor quality and product support must affect sales of current and future models, I suppose sales volumes of high-end DAP's must be low and they just don't really care.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #977 of 2,535
I can get a cheap 300r from japan, but if the 2.5mm is broken, nah. Thanks, but no thanks.

The 300r has caught my attention because of its design but if there's a 50/50 chance that the 2.5mm headphone jack will get broken, I will not take a risk of getting it.

Might stick on my phone right now.

I have often compared the balanced to the single-ended outputs, to me there is very little difference, certainly not night and day. I'm currently listening to my IT03 S-Ended from the Pioneer, this pairing sounds very nice to me, the pioneer drives these very well both balanced and SE.

Perhaps consider the versions without the balanced output, it really depends what other DAP's you have been looking at but other similar Andriod DAP's have reports of poor software, at least that's one area where Pioneer got it right.

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #978 of 2,535
Is the usb out noisy?i want to use this with a mojo. Already got the DAP but wont use it foe another week as i shipped it to a friends house

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #980 of 2,535
Can you guys enlighten me on some things. First, does agc have any effect when not using balanced cable?second, does the uapp or tidal use the dual dacs only the music player benfit from it, listening to tifal hifi, the sound is nkthing special i was expecting something better than my s8?third, is there a guide to root this thing as i have a terrible battery life.

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #981 of 2,535
Can you guys enlighten me on some things. First, does agc have any effect when not using balanced cable?second, does the uapp or tidal use the dual dacs only the music player benfit from it, listening to tifal hifi, the sound is nkthing special i was expecting something better than my s8?third, is there a guide to root this thing as i have a terrible battery life.

If you are using Single ended (the 3.5mm connection), ACG or Balanced will not be used. In fact, it would be better to turn them off to help with the battery life. UAPP and Tidal will only use the dual DAC in Balanced mode (the 2.5mm connection). Same observation as you, using the 3.5mm single ended quality is nearly the same as using a normal phone. A bit more clarity on the DAP but you really have to listen to it in a quiet room with no distraction.

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #982 of 2,535
If you are using Single ended (the 3.5mm connection), ACG or Balanced will not be used. In fact, it would be better to turn them off to help with the battery life. UAPP and Tidal will only use the dual DAC in Balanced mode (the 2.5mm connection). Same observation as you, using the 3.5mm single ended quality is nearly the same as using a normal phone. A bit more clarity on the DAP but you really have to listen to it in a quiet room with no distraction.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Im not gonna spend another hundreds of dollars for s balanced cable. Ill just stack it with a mojo

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #983 of 2,535
If you are using Single ended (the 3.5mm connection), ACG or Balanced will not be used. In fact, it would be better to turn them off to help with the battery life.
That makes no sense. The second DAC+AMP array is not used at all when using the 3,5mm jack. Why would "ACG or Balanced" use any power under this condition? Please stop spreading misinformation here!
Same observation as you, using the 3.5mm single ended quality is nearly the same as using a normal phone. A bit more clarity on the DAP but you really have to listen to it in a quiet room with no distraction.
Cannot confirm that. Maybe depends on your gear. I can notice a clear difference between the 300r and any flagship phone (even the LGs with their pretty good DAC+AMP section) with my Campfire Lyra II and JH Angie earphones.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #984 of 2,535
So no root solution?i know someone posted one for the dpx1 not sure if it will work for this one as well

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #985 of 2,535
For the battery test, best to try an A/B comparison between switching off ACG/Balanced when using SE on your device. I notice less battery usage on mine. Mileage might vary due to a lot of reasons.

For quality comparison, my gear is UERR (balanced and SE cable) and Cosmic Ears CE4P (SE). I can hear the difference but not day and night difference. Agree that it depends on the gear. I'm pretty sure the Angies is more sensitive that my gear and ear.

For root, I am happy to root any android phones, but for something like this where the drivers might not be very available and not enough peer support, it's risky IMHO.

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #986 of 2,535
To have the best out of the battery, you have to disable all google stuff and turn off wifi etc. If i knew this i would have bought the LG G6 quad dac and it would have been a better investment and better battery

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #988 of 2,535
just discovered that USB playback is only possible for the official music app??doesnt work with UAPP?also seems like my sd card got stuck?.??how do i remove it?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #989 of 2,535
Didn't know that... I tried usb out in my car, didn't work (neither did Bluetooth in the car, but it did work with my DeepBlue2 speaker). Finicky little bugger...

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #990 of 2,535
i just need my dam sd card out :frowning2: dunno what to do now

EDIT Got it out with twitzers

So usb out is only working with stock music. Streaming tidal kills the battery
Volume at 135 is not high and i dont have variable output option.
the recomended impedance is 16ohm-200 or 300 i think, my iems are 5, creating hiss with my IEM

Wish i knew all this before buying it:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back