Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Oct 11, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #991 of 2,535
-My unit does not hiss. Not even with the most sensitive IEMs.

-Variable LineOut mode is available even on my EU device.

-135 is a hazardous volume level even with not-so-sensitive IEMs

-Streaming leeches battery, but not worse than other android devices.

Maybe you got a faulty unit. On the other hand... Variable LineOut mode is pretty easy to find. I'm slightly confused by your post.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #992 of 2,535
-My unit does not hiss. Not even with the most sensitive IEMs.

-Variable LineOut mode is available even on my EU device.

-135 is a hazardous volume level even with not-so-sensitive IEMs

-Streaming leeches battery, but not worse than other android devices.

Maybe you got a faulty unit. On the other hand... Variable LineOut mode is pretty easy to find. I'm slightly confused by your post.

My unit is fine, some people are more sensitive to hiss or sibilance than others. I have an asian unit so i cant find variable output.
I have had only android phones in the past 8 years and none of them drained this bad when streaming, but again it could be the battery size in the DAP

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #993 of 2,535
How do you find the mqa files on the tidal/uapp android apps?also how do you play dsd files on stock?do you chose convert to pcm or dop?

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #994 of 2,535
My unit is fine, some people are more sensitive to hiss or sibilance than others. I have an asian unit so i cant find variable output.
I have had only android phones in the past 8 years and none of them drained this bad when streaming, but again it could be the battery size in the DAP

For your sensitive IEMs, lower the Gain to Low or Low 2. That should lower the noise floor and help with the hiss. And as far as variable output, it is, to my understanding, exclusive to the European models because of the volume cap in place. I don't believe any other region implements the volume cap. But I am no expert.

~Ex

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #995 of 2,535
For your sensitive IEMs, lower the Gain to Low or Low 2. That should lower the noise floor and help with the hiss. And as far as variable output, it is, to my understanding, exclusive to the European models because of the volume cap in place. I don't believe any other region implements the volume cap. But I am no expert.

~Ex
Yes i used low 1/normal gain but im more comfortable with low 1 even if i jave to crank up the volume to 135. Apparently you are right, the asian model doesnt have volume cao and no variable output. I have few questions though. Is there a way to play MQA files, i know oy says its supported but dunno how to get them as tidal android app doesnt show mqa tab. I can only use tidal mqa playlists. My other question is regarding tidal offline with usb out, it seems only tidal can olay offline tracks but doesnt output audio through USB. Am i correct or is there any othrr way?

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #996 of 2,535
Yes i used low 1/normal gain but im more comfortable with low 1 even if i jave to crank up the volume to 135. Apparently you are right, the asian model doesnt have volume cao and no variable output. I have few questions though. Is there a way to play MQA files, i know oy says its supported but dunno how to get them as tidal android app doesnt show mqa tab. I can only use tidal mqa playlists. My other question is regarding tidal offline with usb out, it seems only tidal can olay offline tracks but doesnt output audio through USB. Am i correct or is there any othrr way?

I don't stream audio, so I can't really help there. But I can tell you that Tidal's android app doesn't support MQA yet, however people here have stated that their desktop app does stream MQA. For once, the hardware is ahead of the software. Once MQA goes live for streaming, the Pioneer should be able to decode the files. I haven't heard of any current mobile streaming services that are doing MQA. Beyond that, I can only defer to the experts here.

~Ex

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #997 of 2,535
I don't stream audio, so I can't really help there. But I can tell you that Tidal's android app doesn't support MQA yet, however people here have stated that their desktop app does stream MQA. For once, the hardware is ahead of the software. Once MQA goes live for streaming, the Pioneer should be able to decode the files. I haven't heard of any current mobile streaming services that are doing MQA. Beyond that, I can only defer to the experts here.

~Ex

the android app does stream MQA, if i open UAPP and play my albums (i chose them from the masters album list on the desktop app) well they play @ 24bit 48Khz so yea MQA is enabled and even my Mojo turns Orange indicating 48Khz

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #998 of 2,535
the android app does stream MQA, if i open UAPP and play my albums (i chose them from the masters album list on the desktop app) well they play @ 24bit 48Khz so yea MQA is enabled and even my Mojo turns Orange indicating 48Khz

Then I stand corrected. I was just stating what everyone else has concluded on many other threads regarding MQA playback on mobile.

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #1,001 of 2,535
If someone wants a track to display how good the sound is from the XDP 300R, simply download David Bowie's Space Oddity from the "5 years 69-73" compilation on Onkyo Music.

At 24-bit/192khz it's easily the best I've heard digital music sound - obviously the analogue original recording must have survived well.

I'm listening through Grado SR325e headphones which are a beautiful match for the player.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #1,003 of 2,535
How does this plywr compare to the Ak70? Or chord mojo?

Well, I had the 300R and AK100 II in parallel for a certain amount of time.
To me the 300R in balanced mode was a pure winner. I doubt that the AK70 can compete with the 300R either.

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #1,004 of 2,535
I auditioned both players extensively at the Bristol hi-fi show earlier this year. I took with me my Grado SR335e headphones and a selection of music with which I was very familiar.

The XDP 300R was the better player by quite a margin having a better sound stage and a lovely dynamic that allowed the style of music to dictate the pace and not the player.

That’s when I laid my money down and haven’t regretted it.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,005 of 2,535
The Chord Mojo is a superior addition if you're sporting a phone or low end dap. I find it unnecessary to use with high-res DAPs and don't bother with any of mine including my XDP-100R. I imagine it would be the same scenario with the 300R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back