Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jun 10, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #2,282 of 2,535
What did you tag them with? I use Tag&Rename and all of the tags are visible

I initially used iTunes and have since switched to Media Monkey as my library manager. When I add music to my library I edit the information then and drag and drop the album artwork to associate it as well. It seems that isn't the best option/things haven't consistently worked using that method.

Jun 13, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #2,284 of 2,535
I've no experience with Media Monkey so can't help with that, but I can highly recommend TagScanner. I renamed and re-tagged my whole music library with it and the Pioneer reads all of the cover art perfectly.

i downloaded TagScanner last night and started looking at it a little bit. Did you edit every album individually? Or is there a way to do your entire library? I have 1000s of albums, so doing each individually would take forever, but if I could highlight every song and have it do them all at once, obviously that would be awesome haha

When you did this, what options did you use?

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #2,285 of 2,535
I'm looking for a bit of clarification: a while ago, when I first got my 300R, I read somewhere that 3.5 to 2.5 adaptors for earphones to use in the "Balanced" socket, didn't work for some reason, so I've avoided them and bought a pair of balanced earphones with a 2.5mm jack. Then I seem to remember a lot of discussion around these adaptors again, and it looked like some of them did work, for technical reasons that were beyond me. I live in the UK -- can somebody clarify this issue and point me in the direction of an adaptor that works? I've got a pair of RHAs that I'd love to try out on my 300R.
Thanks,
Adam K

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #2,286 of 2,535
I'm looking for a bit of clarification: a while ago, when I first got my 300R, I read somewhere that 3.5 to 2.5 adaptors for earphones to use in the "Balanced" socket, didn't work for some reason, so I've avoided them and bought a pair of balanced earphones with a 2.5mm jack. Then I seem to remember a lot of discussion around these adaptors again, and it looked like some of them did work, for technical reasons that were beyond me. I live in the UK -- can somebody clarify this issue and point me in the direction of an adaptor that works? I've got a pair of RHAs that I'd love to try out on my 300R.
Thanks,
Adam K

Pretty sure you can't go from SE to balanced, only the other way (balanced to SE) if that's what you're asking. I'd be very dubious of using anything that claimed to.

Jun 19, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,287 of 2,535
Thanks,
Adam K

Ok, I'll try and answer this as clearly as I can, let me know if you have any more questions :)

3.5mm and 1/4" (6.3mm) headphone jack is the "standard" if you like for headphone connections. They are wired a particular way from the headphones to the jack plug.
2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced headphone connections are wired completely differently from the headphones to the headphone jack. I can't remember the exact difference but it's to do with the earthing connections if I remember. It's not the same as such but kind of similar when you compare connecting a speaker to your amp in a "normal way", versus say bi-amping or bi-wiring.

For that reason you should never try to plug in a standard set of headphones into a balanced socket (using the adaptor you mention). It will probably damage the headphones and could damage the player. So please don't do it.

The 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters you see online are NOT for this use. They are mainly for using headphones in office equipment, and other oddball equipment that may have a 2.5mm socket on them (my friend had a very cheap MP3 player many years ago with this very socket on it). They are not balanced connections in this case.

To convert a set of standard headphones to a balanced connection you need to change the entire cable from the headphones.

So for example you can get replacement cables for Sennheiser Headphones that simply plug in, there are lots of 3rd part replacement balanced cables for in-ears that use MMCX connectors for example.

If you have a pair of headphones or in-ears that do not have this swappable cable facility then you are stuck I'm afraid, just use the standard 3.5mm connection into the standard socket on the player. Although there are users who I'm sure pull apart their expensive over ear headphones and wire in balanced cables. Brave people! :)

If I give you an example. I own a pair of AKG N40's. As standard they come with the 3.5mm headphone jack cable. I found out that AKG make their own 2.5mm balanced cable with the MMCX connectors on it. So I bought that via a dealer in Japan, swapped the cable over and now I can listen via the balanced socket.

Admittedly there are hundreds of 3rd party companies but I preferred to buy the factory cable, expensive but worth it. I've found most 3rd party cables are ok but can be bulky, not very flexible and can have microphonics.

If it makes you feel any better, there is not a huge difference in sound. Slighty more power and slam in the soundstage, better imaging maybe, and you are getting the full benefit of the players tech that's inside it. However the one disadvantage is the balanced connection uses more of the electronics in the player....which means the battery drains much faster.

If I use the player at work in it's base form, so 3.5mm Soundmagic in-ears, no wifi, no Bluetooth, obviously balanced switched off, I can get about 9-10 hours play time. Using balanced it drops to about 6 hours. So still usable for me but some would argue not good enough for a full days listening.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #2,288 of 2,535
Ok, I'll try and answer this as clearly as I can, let me know if you have any more questions :)

3.5mm and 1/4" (6.3mm) headphone jack is the "standard" if you like for headphone connections. They are wired a particular way from the headphones to the jack plug.
2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced headphone connections are wired completely differently from the headphones to the headphone jack. I can't remember the exact difference but it's to do with the earthing connections if I remember. It's not the same as such but kind of similar when you compare connecting a speaker to your amp in a "normal way", versus say bi-amping or bi-wiring.

For that reason you should never try to plug in a standard set of headphones into a balanced socket (using the adaptor you mention). It will probably damage the headphones and could damage the player. So please don't do it.

The 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters you see online are NOT for this use. They are mainly for using headphones in office equipment, and other oddball equipment that may have a 2.5mm socket on them (my friend had a very cheap MP3 player many years ago with this very socket on it). They are not balanced connections in this case.

To convert a set of standard headphones to a balanced connection you need to change the entire cable from the headphones.

So for example you can get replacement cables for Sennheiser Headphones that simply plug in, there are lots of 3rd part replacement balanced cables for in-ears that use MMCX connectors for example.

If you have a pair of headphones or in-ears that do not have this swappable cable facility then you are stuck I'm afraid, just use the standard 3.5mm connection into the standard socket on the player. Although there are users who I'm sure pull apart their expensive over ear headphones and wire in balanced cables. Brave people! :)

If I give you an example. I own a pair of AKG N40's. As standard they come with the 3.5mm headphone jack cable. I found out that AKG make their own 2.5mm balanced cable with the MMCX connectors on it. So I bought that via a dealer in Japan, swapped the cable over and now I can listen via the balanced socket.

Admittedly there are hundreds of 3rd party companies but I preferred to buy the factory cable, expensive but worth it. I've found most 3rd party cables are ok but can be bulky, not very flexible and can have microphonics.

If it makes you feel any better, there is not a huge difference in sound. Slighty more power and slam in the soundstage, better imaging maybe, and you are getting the full benefit of the players tech that's inside it. However the one disadvantage is the balanced connection uses more of the electronics in the player....which means the battery drains much faster.

If I use the player at work in it's base form, so 3.5mm Soundmagic in-ears, no wifi, no Bluetooth, obviously balanced switched off, I can get about 9-10 hours play time. Using balanced it drops to about 6 hours. So still usable for me but some would argue not good enough for a full days listening.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you, that was absolutely perfect and I'm very grateful for the time, patience and clarity!

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #2,289 of 2,535
Thank you, that was absolutely perfect and I'm very grateful for the time, patience and clarity!

That's ok. It's a common question on these forums and unless you've come across these sorts of connections before it can be confusing.

Hope you enjoy using your player. I've had mine nearly two years now and I get a lot of use out of it. Really nice to have my entire music collection on demand! lol :)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #2,290 of 2,535
That's ok. It's a common question on these forums and unless you've come across these sorts of connections before it can be confusing.

Hope you enjoy using your player. I've had mine nearly two years now and I get a lot of use out of it. Really nice to have my entire music collection on demand! lol :)

Too true -- mine is the "burning house" object, the one thing I'd rescue. I've had mine for just over a year and don't know what I'd do without it! Thanks again...

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #2,295 of 2,535
ProductDetails.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back