Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 31, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #22,238 of 37,597
Give me some time, mate. First listen is good, but I need more time to make an informed judgment.

The M1s is a bit on the long side and the d-pad isn't as solid as I'd like. I'm sure it's fine, but I'd prefer something with more resistance. Coming back to the length, with my small-ish hands I've got to shift the player around in my hand to manipulate volume vs d- pad. At least at first usage, I'd prefer a slightly different form factor.

The GUI is simple and quick, but there aren't many creature comforts. For instance, no cover art support of you care about that. I don't, so it's fine with me. Gapless isn't quite there yet. I'm guessing it requires using a CUE file like the M2 does. And I'm getting a very slight cut-off at the beginning of songs. It's more noticeable with some. For instance, it's particularly noticeable with Rush's Tom Sawyer. For these GUI / functionality issues, I'm hoping AUNE will be able to fix the major ones quickly.

Guys who have X10 and M1s seem to be coming to the conclusion that the M1s wins for sound, while the X10 wins for user interface.

My choice for a truly portable DAP right now would be Shanling M1. It's tiny, sounds good on its own (not great but good enough), has a good user interface, and can connect via USB Out to a nice DAC/AMP. Just a thought...

Thanks mate.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #22,240 of 37,597
Good start into the new year listening to Mozarts masses with Shanling M1 connected to iFi micro iDSD and power up the Sennheiser HD 800-F (french mod).

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #22,242 of 37,597
Excellent album. Nirvana Unplugged is crazy-awesome.

In fact, I think I know what I'm going to be doing for the next hour... :beyersmile:

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #22,243 of 37,597
Hifi8 + P9

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #22,245 of 37,597
Need to take some pics but my portable set up (and I'd call it portable rather than mobile cos it's quite a lump) consists of a Chord Mojo in the proper case, sandwiched by an Astell & Kern AK300 and a Anker PowerCore 13000.

I don't walk around listening but do a lot at work or in hotel rooms while travelling and of course when on hols.

By adding the Anker PowerCore means I never have to worry about battery life.

The stack is held together with 3M Dual Lock low profile, and can be easily carried using the strap on the Mojo case, but I'm looking for some sort of case that the whole lot mill fit in.

The one thing I have struggled with is finding a suitable selection of short USB cables to neatly connect the whole lot up. I have a form fitted Moon Audio optical cable, but the USB cables are proving a pain. Really I want a short 90 degree down angle USB A to a right angle micro USB and I can't find any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back