Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 31, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #22,224 of 37,632
Dec 31, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #22,227 of 37,632
It's the AUNE M1s @jmills8. Just got it opened up and am getting ready to give a listen with CA Nova with balanced Litz cable courtesy of my man @alpha421.

What kind of performance levels does M1 perform at? Any players you feel it shoots around the same park?

I like the look of it, especially for an on the go player. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #22,229 of 37,632
Just a simple setup but sounds really awesome to me. Using Timbuk2 bag which is just nice to carry my portable rig and a diary.

8blKY7e.jpg

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #22,230 of 37,632
What kind of performance levels does M1 perform at? Any players you feel it shoots around the same park?

I like the look of it, especially for an on the go player. 

Give me some time, mate. First listen is good, but I need more time to make an informed judgment.

The M1s is a bit on the long side and the d-pad isn't as solid as I'd like. I'm sure it's fine, but I'd prefer something with more resistance. Coming back to the length, with my small-ish hands I've got to shift the player around in my hand to manipulate volume vs d- pad. At least at first usage, I'd prefer a slightly different form factor.

The GUI is simple and quick, but there aren't many creature comforts. For instance, no cover art support of you care about that. I don't, so it's fine with me. Gapless isn't quite there yet. I'm guessing it requires using a CUE file like the M2 does. And I'm getting a very slight cut-off at the beginning of songs. It's more noticeable with some. For instance, it's particularly noticeable with Rush's Tom Sawyer. For these GUI / functionality issues, I'm hoping AUNE will be able to fix the major ones quickly.

Guys who have X10 and M1s seem to be coming to the conclusion that the M1s wins for sound, while the X10 wins for user interface.

My choice for a truly portable DAP right now would be Shanling M1. It's tiny, sounds good on its own (not great but good enough), has a good user interface, and can connect via USB Out to a nice DAC/AMP. Just a thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back