Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Feb 1, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #15,451 of 37,567
I agree, I will not carry a murse. Condensed some of my portables to really light, easy to carry.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #15,452 of 37,567
  I posted this in the Fulla thread, but I figured I should post it here too.

iPhone
Comfast USB "power amplifier" to trick phone into working
mophie batter pack
Schiit Fulla

Can you explain how this works?  I've seen the OTG(android), USB(iPhone) Y-cables with the extra power lead to feed a battery to a USB DAC but not the power amplifier you've added.  I would like to know why your are using the power amp module.  Nice setup BTW.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #15,453 of 37,567
Can you explain how this works? I've seen the OTG(android), USB(iPhone) Y-cables with the extra power lead to feed a battery to a USB DAC but not the power amplifier you've added. I would like to know why your are using the power amp module. Nice setup BTW.

Thanks! The Comfast "power amp" (not really amplifying anything) is basically acting like a USB hub. Without it, I get the old "this device draws too much current" error. the way I understand it, the iPhone needs to send a limited amount of current to whatever it's attached to in order to establish a connection. The Comfast draws the current while still allowing the phone to communicate with the Fulla. If that makes sense...

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #15,456 of 37,567
Thanks! The Comfast "power amp" (not really amplifying anything) is basically acting like a USB hub. Without it, I get the old "this device draws too much current" error. the way I understand it, the iPhone needs to send a limited amount of current to whatever it's attached to in order to establish a connection. The Comfast draws the current while still allowing the phone to communicate with the Fulla. If that makes sense...

You're my hero! I've been looking for something like this for my iPhone and dragonfly dac! I thought I would have to build something custom... where do you purchase this?

Feb 2, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #15,457 of 37,567
You're my hero! I've been looking for something like this for my iPhone and dragonfly dac! I thought I would have to build something custom... where do you purchase this?

I found a person selling them on eBay from China. Not the most optimal way of doing things, but it worked out for me. I can't find the listing anymore for it though. I'd suggest searching for "Comfast CF-U12" on google and see if you think you can trust any of the sellers.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #15,458 of 37,567
I've not had my AK240 for about a few months now and I finally got it back after RMA. Brought it along today for some comparisons with The Flow.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #15,459 of 37,567
Flow looks like a nice piece but I'd never carry that around. More power to anyone that's willing.
smile.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #15,460 of 37,567
Amen! Wife's are ment to ruin any bit of happiness! I never tell my wife what I buy I just do it. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

I tell my wife but then I understate the prices!! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #15,462 of 37,567

Quote:
My wife rolls her eyes at most of my hobbies.

Amen! Wife's are ment to ruin any bit of happiness! I never tell my wife what I buy I just do it. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Haha, She should be happy your hobby is transparent and revealing. There are ones which are slightly dark yet unforgiving.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #15,463 of 37,567
  I've not had my AK240 for about a few months now and I finally got it back after RMA. Brought it along today for some comparisons with The Flow.

And???

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #15,464 of 37,567

The memory wire on the stock cable was too annoying with my glasses, and when I took a knife to it I ended up stripping a bit of insulation off of one of the small wires on one side 
eek.gif
 so I just bit the bullet and ordered a new one. Fits perfectly!

iBasso DX90 -> plusSound X Series -> InEar StageDiver SD-2

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #15,465 of 37,567
  And???

For the most (but not all) part, the Flow easily bests the AK240 from a technical perspective. Soundstage is wider, imaging is deeper, it's able to produce that "bigger sound", etc. But one particular album I've got so far though where the tables are turned - Nicki Parrot's Black Coffee (DSD format in my particular case, don't have the redbook). It seems that with this album the proposed presentation of a basement level small jazz room seemed more matching to the AK240's more smaller soundstage. That actually felt more appropriate (or accurate?) to the intended presentation. But for the rest of the albums I've got the Flow (which is kinda to be expected) does have the upper hand to my ears. I know, it's not fair comparing a dedicated component to a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back