Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Dec 29, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #9,136 of 37,712
The problem is that I really don't want a triple stack but if I ever come by a DB2 at a meet, I'll give it a try to see if the sonic improvements are worth the added bulk. :smile:

If you have the chance please try it , I believe you like more and more the balance SQ

Once you go triple stack, you never go back.

See our good pal, Rudi, here? He quadruple stacks now:)

I'm actually curious of a PB/DB stack. Some say its a game changer, and some say that going balanced isn't that big of a deal.

Thank you for your compliment :beerchug:
Balance is the best for sound quality and has fuller power too

Going from a single ended to a balanced amp was a pretty big thing sonically, but I've seen a lot say that going from a single-ended source to a balanced is not nearly as audible a change. I'd love to try it, but I'm not going shopping for a DB2 anytime soon. I'm saving pennies for a DX90! :D

Everything from source , Dac and amp use balance the SQ is better and fuller , in home audio are the same

I change my SAA cable to balance 4 pin from 6,3 mm connector , the SQ different is noticeable

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #9,137 of 37,712

Have tried about 20 different capacitors. Only 1 pair was supercaps. At the moment I use film caps. Mundorf silver/gold for lod cables. Are the green ones Ioxus?

No. If I am not mistaken, I remember you mentioning all your diymods are the slim ones and you put all the caps in the LOD's. First of all, you will limit yourself to the size of the caps to try due to the tight space in the LOD. Second, I don't know in reality (not in theory) if they will sound the same with the same caps located inside the ipod or inside the LOD. I have not personally done any comparison as all my caps won't fit inside the LOD.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #9,138 of 37,712
finally got my combo along with meenova and mogami cables. DX50 -> DB2 + PB2 via hirose -> Q701 (single end)

I just realized that AKG although on 62ohms are quite harder to drive. now I wish I could balance my Q's to that PB2 +20gain. I was reaching 3 o clock to full on classic jazz

6e4asa7y.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #9,139 of 37,712
finally got my combo along with meenova and mogami cables. DX50 -> DB2 + PB2 via hirose -> Q701 (single end)

I just realized that AKG although on 62ohms are quite harder to drive. now I wish I could balance my Q's to that PB2 +20gain. I was reaching 3 o clock to full on classic jazz

6e4asa7y.jpg

Do it!
It will make the world of difference!

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #9,140 of 37,712
If you have the chance please try it , I believe you like more and more the balance SQ
Thank you for your compliment
beerchug.gif

Balance is the best for sound quality and has fuller power too
Everything from source , Dac and amp use balance the SQ is better and fuller , in home audio are the same

I change my SAA cable to balance 4 pin from 6,3 mm connector , the SQ different is noticeable

Im totally with Rudi on this one!
I used my iPod Classic > SOLO > DB2 > PB2 > HD25.1 II. Giving me a FULLY balanced rig. 
I thought the iPC > SOLO > PB2 > HD25.1 II Single ended was amazing until I tried the above rig.
Now I Listen to a fully balanced rig whenever I can as it is so much better sonically. Plus the extra voltage is obviously great for harder to drive headphones.
Im getting the DX50 soon just so I can run a smaller stack and have less components and cables in the signal path.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #9,141 of 37,712
Why would one need a quadruple stack?
Wouldn't you just need a carrier > DAC > Amp?

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #9,143 of 37,712

The DB2 does not have an Apple certified DAC so the iPod won't send a digital signal through it.

might be because he's using an ipod. so connecting it to CLAS would give him optical out then through the DB2. but yeah, that thing also makes me order DX50.

You're right. Though the he is using an coaxial output from the CLAS to the DB2.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #9,144 of 37,712

The DB2 does not have an Apple certified DAC so the iPod won't send a digital signal through it.

might be because he's using an ipod. so connecting it to CLAS would give him optical out then through the DB2. but yeah, that thing also makes me order DX50.

You're right. Though the he is using an coaxial output from the CLAS to the DB2.

yeah coaxial is what I meant not optical sorry.

well if only the dx50 has an optical out then I would definitely get an M8 or M8 could accept coax input. got high hopes over DX90 this coming year

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #9,145 of 37,712

Ahh thanks

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #9,146 of 37,712
Im totally with Rudi on this one!
I used my iPod Classic > SOLO > DB2 > PB2 > HD25.1 II. Giving me a FULLY balanced rig. 
I thought the iPC > SOLO > PB2 > HD25.1 II Single ended was amazing until I tried the above rig.
Now I Listen to a fully balanced rig whenever I can as it is so much better sonically. Plus the extra voltage is obviously great for harder to drive headphones.
Im getting the DX50 soon just so I can run a smaller stack and have less components and cables in the signal path.

If you buy DX 50 , please still keep your cypher labs Solo old / original version , Class Solo is one of the best DAC for I device until now and the build quality is like thank.
You can feel after 3 years still working :beerchug:

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #9,147 of 37,712
Some of My Various Rigs over the last twelve months. I have more but need to dig them out from my gallery.
Ive certainly come a long way since I joined Head-Fi!
Im really enjoying this hobby and I have some big plans for next year.
I'll mostly be concentration on my main Hi-Fi and turntable setup but I have a few more little things planned for my headphone rigs, both portable and desktop.

Here's to a happy new year and due to my move in two weeks, I can at last get all my gear out of storage and get things how I really want them.

Loads missing but You get the idea lol.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #9,148 of 37,712
Woohoo they came! RE0. Better sounding than my memory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back