Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jul 17, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #13,023 of 37,643
  The amp isn't very good, I wouldn't bother. 

I did read some reviews which wasn't very good and thanks for sharing :)

The SR71B is also rougly the same size as the AK120, and it sounds very good IMO.

Thanks for the recommendation! You mean Ray Samuels right?

Yeah there are some great portable amps.
Among my favs are:
Tralucent t1 : about the same size as ak100
Fiio E12diy : don't let the brand fool uou/, I found this amp amazing in almost every regard.
Govibe portatube : though this made my ak100 look like an ant by comparison, this is my favorite portable amp. Its a tube, and it actually sounds like one.
Highly recommend auditioning one at the least if you can.

Anyway. Worst case, enjoy the ak120 as is
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the recommendation, I happen to have a Fiio E12DIY lying around actually. Will go test it out :)

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #13,024 of 37,643
My now really portable portable rig with its carry case for added protection. I will be bringing this around with me for work trips as well. Its so small and portable. I bought this with the intention as a standalone but the gadget itch inside me is unbearable. I am considering the Shozy PX-M1 amp is almost the same size as the AK120, anyone has any reviews for this combi?

nice case!Where did you bought it?

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #13,025 of 37,643
nice case!Where did you bought it?

Thanks! I custom the tri-colour stripes via DIY and used the Pick N Pluck foam by Pelican. This is a shock and water proof case.

I got it from a local military store. This is the Pelican 1020 case which should be easily available. I also purchased it with the Pick N Pluck foam and pluck out the foam where you need to have a cavity for your device to be placed.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #13,026 of 37,643
Yeah there are some great portable amps.
Among my favs are:
Tralucent t1 : about the same size as ak100
Fiio E12diy : don't let the brand fool uou/, I found this amp amazing in almost every regard.
Govibe portatube : though this made my ak100 look like an ant by comparison, this is my favorite portable amp. Its a tube, and it actually sounds like one.
Highly recommend auditioning one at the least if you can.

Anyway. Worst case, enjoy the ak120 as is
biggrin.gif

I am testing out the AK120 with the E12DIY. I did some swaps of the OP Amps but I still prefer the Op Amp it came shipped in with the AK120. I feel the Sound signature seems "colder"?

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #13,028 of 37,643
It might seem like it's cold, I find my regular Mont Blanc E12 to have a warm sound, so it could just be that the E12 is warm and the other isn't.

Frankly after using the E12DIY with both the X5 and Sony ZX1, it didnt seem all that good after awhile. It seem to sound good in the beginning though. I have the standard E12 too and it seems way more dynamic and fuller when matched with the X5. As for the ZX-1 it had better synergy with my pha-2. So the e12diy was left on my desk quite awhile till i hooked it up to the AK120. It seems to me with my limited knowledge and experience that the AK120 has better synergy with the e12diy.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #13,029 of 37,643
Thanks! I custom the tri-colour stripes via DIY and used the Pick N Pluck foam by Pelican. This is a shock and water proof case.

I got it from a local military store. This is the Pelican 1020 case which should be easily available. I also purchased it with the Pick N Pluck foam and pluck out the foam where you need to have a cavity for your device to be placed.
Thanks!i thought its ready made.:)

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #13,030 of 37,643
Frankly after using the E12DIY with both the X5 and Sony ZX1, it didnt seem all that good after awhile. It seem to sound good in the beginning though. I have the standard E12 too and it seems way more dynamic and fuller when matched with the X5. As for the ZX-1 it had better synergy with my pha-2. So the e12diy was left on my desk quite awhile till i hooked it up to the AK120. It seems to me with my limited knowledge and experience that the AK120 has better synergy with the e12diy.

I think it would help people if you had a budget in mind. Too many amps nowadays. Size-wise, I'm guessing nothing bigger than the ak120 yah?

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #13,031 of 37,643
Thanks!i thought its ready made.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome! Actually it is quite easy to pluck the foams, its precut into square blocks that you can actually pluck off. :)
  I think it would help people if you had a budget in mind. Too many amps nowadays. Size-wise, I'm guessing nothing bigger than the ak120 yah?

Oh ya, maybe not more than $500? Yeah I hope to have something that is similiar in size for the AK120, that was why I was considering the Shozy PX-M1 earlier when I saw a fellow headfier post his rig but I read up the reviews on the Shozy and none seem to be too positive though.

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #13,032 of 37,643
  My now really portable portable rig with its carry case for added protection. I will be bringing this around with me for work trips as well. Its so small and portable. I bought this with the intention as a standalone but the gadget itch inside me is unbearable. I am considering the Shozy PX-M1 amp is almost the same size as the AK120, anyone has any reviews for this combi?

same protection as with all of my gears!
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #13,034 of 37,643
Rig(s) of the day. Also have the Rox, Ditas, K10s, & TG!334 but didn't take a picture of them :-

Lifestyles of the rich and famous! :p
hehe.

I had the pleasure of owning the UM Mentor's and auditioning the FitEar TG 334's.
I would have bought the FitEars, but I just couldn't justify the $1899 they wanted for them new here.

I fully intend to get some 2nd hand when I get some cash flow again however.  I just loved everything about them.  To me an even more refined Mentor.

That being said I only auditioned them with my DX90 and the stores AK120.  Yet to hear the AK240/901/Calyx.

This would be a very dangerous hobby if I didn't have a shared credit card!!

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

• Anti
Back