Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jun 10, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #5,341 of 7,509
Quote:
Thanks, mike. I had a hard time to understand what other threads talked about the PCM-M10 but your write-up does help me to stop wondering. What is your opinion on the PCM-D50?

The $500 PCM-D50 and the $1800 PCM-D1 are much better recorders, but far worse at playback than that had with the PCM-M10 - according to a couple of experienced people at The Taperssection Forums.  Apparently, it's only with the more recently released PCM-M10 that Sony engineers decided to include a good DAC.  

In their two larger, more expensive PCM decks, playback quality was just a convenience feature - for monitoring while recording - through the built-in mono speaker, or a cheap pair of field phones.  Even with the PCM-M10, most users couldn't care less about the recorder's built-in playback quality. Recordists are typically only interested in "listening" with their sound editor, once they've transferred the files to a PC or Mac.  We lucky audiophiles can actually enjoy a better DAP via the less expensive of three offerings!

Mike

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #5,342 of 7,509
Quote:

The $500 PCM-D50 and the $1800 PCM-D1 are much better recorders, but far worse at playback than that had with the PCM-M10 - according to a couple of experienced people at The Taperssection Forums.  Apparently, it's only with the more recently released PCM-M10 that Sony engineers decided to include a good DAC.  

In their two larger, more expensive PCM decks, playback quality was just a convenience feature - for monitoring while recording - through the built-in mono speaker, or a cheap pair of field phones.  Even with the PCM-M10, most users couldn't care less about the recorder's built-in playback quality. Recordists are typically only interested in "listening" with their sound editor, once they've transferred the files to a PC or Mac.  We lucky audiophiles can actually enjoy a better DAP via the less expensive of three offerings!

Mike

Thanks again, Mike. Since I'm more into listening than recording, I think I don't think they suit me. But they do look cool... :)

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #5,343 of 7,509
Quote:
Those are really pretty pictures.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
They do match quite well. I like the look.

Glad you guys like it.

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #5,350 of 7,509
Quote:
An update to my rig:

Cables: AlgoRhythm Solo Interconnect Cable Combo SXC
UIEM: FitEar To Go! 334

Me likes....

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #5,355 of 7,509
Quote:
How do you like those px90's achmed??

For what they are, they're pretty good. They have a satisfying amount of bass response without sounding muddy or veiled....I don't feel the need to use any EQ with them. They're nice and lightweight and comfortable too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back