Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Feb 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #3,857 of 7,509

Quote:
I thought that the pro80's where relatively easily driven.

beyer pro 80 ohms? i guess they are ok. i didn't test with direct ipod headphone out but i did test with my E17...and it did need some juice though. it was a cake walk for teh e17. but i noted that it did take some juice, not enough for the ipod in my opinion. an ipod will get it loud enough but at the end of the volume meter distortion,noise, hiss, artifacts just creep right up in there

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3,859 of 7,509
Oh I didnt read to much into it, and yes it is a pain in the arse! Thats why I dont mess with i unless its broke

Quote:
you don't get it..i broke it trying to get the screen off. to this day. i have a hard rime removing the screen. i can do iphone's easily. itouch..is a no no.

but yeah.. hahah :D im a sucker for free shipping too

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #3,860 of 7,509

Quote:
Maybe a better LOD

Originally Posted by bowei006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

maybe a better LOD

Quote:
Possible upgrades would be a Lod

Help me out here, people. How could a better LOD for the HP-P1 do any good? I thought it was a pure digital signal going out of the iPod and into the HP-P1. While a LOD for a typical set up ( source - LOD - amp ), is using the sources internal DAC do do the converting.. Isn't it an analog signal in the "typical" setup going through the LOD?

I'm not saying you aren't wrong. I just don't completely understand.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3,861 of 7,509

Quote:

Help me out here, people. How could a better LOD for the HP-P1 do any good? I thought it was a pure digital signal going out of the iPod and into the HP-P1. While a LOD for a typical set up ( source - LOD - amp ), is using the sources internal DAC do do the converting.. Isn't it an analog signal in the "typical" setup going through the LOD?

some people say that silver cables help the highs and lows. personally i don't know as i would never spend that much money on a cable. but hey..YOU ASKED (i think) so i just went with IEM's and LOD upgrade. a more flashy but reasonably priced LOD could do and some maybe JH customs :D

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3,862 of 7,509

Quote:
some people say that silver cables help the highs and lows. personally i don't know as i would never spend that much money on a cable. but hey..YOU ASKED (i think) so i just went with IEM's and LOD upgrade. a more flashy but reasonably priced LOD could do and some maybe JH customs :D

Yeah, I asked.. I have just never seen a "custom" LOD cable before. Maybe it's because the portable DAC's aren't quite as abundant as portable AMPs are.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #3,863 of 7,509

Quote:
Yeah, I asked.. I have just never seen a "custom" LOD cable before. Maybe it's because the portable DAC's aren't quite as abundant as portable AMPs are.

you think ? haha lolz 
gs1000.gif
 CLAS,HP1 and one or two more really :D i don't know any other device other than ipod that can or has an accompanying portable DAC

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #3,864 of 7,509
I can say with absolute certainty that this LOD work of art made by Qusp makes a difference.  It has a separate power cable to the digital signal.  The power is a slightly darker wire behind the silver piccolino.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #3,865 of 7,509
Now THIS is interesting! Just when I'm thinking to myself how digital out would not be affected by the cable qualities (given a decent quality 30pin to usb to start with), this is a new thing! Anyone want to chime in? Would seperating the power cables make a difference to the signal pureness?

Quote:
I can say with absolute certainty that this LOD work of art made by Qusp makes a difference.  It has a separate power cable to the digital signal.  The power is a slightly darker wire behind the silver piccolino.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #3,866 of 7,509
Hey, the 80s are back! I'm sure I saw a kid the other day wearing fluro socks and leg warmers.
<shudder>

I don't have my gear from then, but how about people post some pics of retro rigs? Actually, that's pretty exciting - I think I'll start a thread!

EDIT - sorry - this posting concerned a much earlier one about a boom-box. Must seem a bit nutty out of context. I couldn't figure out how to delete it, so this embarrassed note will have to do!

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #3,867 of 7,509

Quote:

According to Fostex's literature, in this case you are correct. They use the 30-pin connector to get at the digital signal, feeding it into the HP-P1's USB input, so this isn't an LOD.  It's a digital connector to bypass the iPod's DAC, using the HP-P1's instead.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #3,868 of 7,509

Quote:
Believe or not, I may actually get rid of that setup (the CLAS+SR-71B). But only after the DX100 arrives and I've had the chance to test between the two setups.

It will be interesting to hear your comparissons.

Quote:
Even if I could justify the 800-plus dollars for the DX100, the low, low battery life is a dealbreaker. 8 hours is not going to cut it in this life or the next.

I agree, that is relativley low compared to the 40 hrs on an iPod Touch etc. But for me, personally I never listen to music for that long any more, even on a long haul flight. The battery duration would work for my needs and I really like the design of the DX100. I am curious though, the specifications say: Battery Life: 72 Hours (stand-by) or 7 Hours (play music)  I don't understand why you would have it sitting in standby mode if it was not being used ? am I missing something ?

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #3,869 of 7,509
You don't want to leave the DX100 in standby unless you plan to use it soon.  Just power it down, it doesn't take that long to turn it on and off.  It sucks down the battery when in standby, if you lock the screen and come back in a few days it'll be dead.  The battery life is more than adequate unless you just need to have music going 24-7.  And the SQ is pretty out of control.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #3,870 of 7,509

Quote:

Topic is probably beyond he scope of this thread, but cables eventually carry electrical signals. Over certain lengths, it can degrade and be affected external interferences. What would be interesting are the error correcting protocols used between the transport & the DAC. I'd guess that cables that conduct signals better is less likely to invoke the error correction protocols.

Quote:
I agree, that is relatively low compared to the 40 hrs on an iPod Touch etc. But for me, personally I never listen to music for that long any more, even on a long haul flight. The battery duration would work for my needs and I really like the design of the DX100. I am curious though, the specifications say: Battery Life: 72 Hours (stand-by) or 7 Hours (play music)  I don't understand why you would have it sitting in standby mode if it was not being used ? am I missing something ?

Also (at least for my portable audio plans) my current iDevice DACs also seem to last only 7 hrs or thereabouts - may it be my Venturecraft Go-DAP, CLAS or formerly owned HP-P1. As such, if/when the DX100 replaces my iDevice+DAC chain, the 7 hrs longevity is no change. My gains of going to the DX100 is the reduction of components I have to carry. 

I can't speak for the battery longevity of the Hifiman or Colorfly products as I don't own them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back