Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Aug 3, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #5,956 of 7,509
Quote:
I'll be getting the 3.Ai and 4.Ai - one for keeps and one as a rewiew sample. I'll compare them to each other as well as the 8.A. Sources will be DX100, Clip+ and Fiio E10 
smile.gif

It's like the review was made for me! Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Don't get me wrong, the DX100 sounds better but it sure as hell isn't 20 times better with most music
wink.gif
 Once you start playing HD stuff like Hans Zimmers soundtrack to The Dark Knight Rises in 24/192 you realize where all that money went.

Merlins will never show up I believe. They were promised to my by AmpCity... Who once again stopped replying to emails (as did Unique Melody global) only to go belly-up a few weeks later. I'm just happy I got my money back.

At least you got your money back. Would have been good to hear your thoughts, the Merlin is another CIEM I'm interested in.

Quote:
Yeah if you are gonna be using sensitive IEMs I highly recommend the BA over the Studio V. Although the Studio V is clearly superior to the BA in sound quality the fact is it hisses a lot and has high output impedance. I either have to pair it with an amp or use an impedance adapter to get the best musical experience (although the intimacy of the HO is just amazing). I do still hear a slight hiss even on the BA but most don't hear this and its barely audible to me anyways so YMWV. I also plan on getting the Heir 8As down the road. I already reserved my price quite a while ago so I have committed to the buy. Just gotta get the funds together. I'm more into fun sounding IEMs and also mellow, non-fatiguing/smooth IEMs.

The BA sounds good, I don't think I could cope with a lot of hiss though so hopefully it's as minor as you say.

Heir seems to be getting a lot more popular. Always good to see companies like them who provide great customer service and excellent products gain some recognition.

Look forward to your thoughts on the 8.A's aswell.

beerchug.gif

PS. When are you going to reveal the mystery custom/universal you've been raving on about?? 
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT: Beaten :)

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #5,960 of 7,509
Quote:
My DX100 finally finished loading the music but let me tell you: After listening to the Clip+ for a few hours and then going straight to the DX100 the Law Of Diminishing Returns will hit you hard. Sure, it's better, but is it 20 times better? Hell no, especially not when used with easily driven headphones.

I learned the same lesson (albeit not on the same monetary level) with my Grado 325is and (believe it or not) my Blox M2C and Yuin PK1.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #5,963 of 7,509
Check out the review in my signature of the AS-2's. They are a great hybrid CIEM that is from a company in the USA and their process pretty much ensures that if the impressions are good you'll get a perfect fit. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddypdler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At least you got your money back. Would have been good to hear your thoughts, the Merlin is another CIEM I'm interested in.
Heir seems to be getting a lot more popular. Always good to see companies like them who provide great customer service and excellent products gain some recognition.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #5,966 of 7,509
Quote:
My DX100 finally finished loading the music but let me tell you: After listening to the Clip+ for a few hours and then going straight to the DX100 the Law Of Diminishing Returns will hit you hard. Sure, it's better, but is it 20 times better? Hell no, especially not when used with easily driven headphones.

I`d be interested to hear what you think after listening to the DX100 for a few hours and then going back to clip.

Because.....(Some say going up is hard to notice a difference, but going down one really can hear the differences).

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #5,967 of 7,509
How about blind tests :p

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #5,969 of 7,509
Quote:
I`d be interested to hear what you think after listening to the DX100 for a few hours and then going back to clip.

Because.....(Some say going up is hard to notice a difference, but going down one really can hear the differences).

There is a loss in dynamics and the soundstage and placement goes to heck. Detail retrieval also suffers a bit. I'm not saying that the Clip+ sounds as good as the DX100, I'm just saying that the DX100 sure isn't 20 times better. 

Don't worry folks, my DX100 isn't going anywhere - I was just impressed with the Clip+ 
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #5,970 of 7,509
Quote:
Some say going up is hard to notice a difference, but going down one really can hear the differences

All I know is, he's called The Stig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back