Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Aug 3, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #5,942 of 7,509
Size comparison - Clip+ on my DX100 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #5,944 of 7,509
Quote:
My DX100 finally finished loading the music but let me tell you: After listening to the Clip+ for a few hours and then going straight to the DX100 the Law Of Diminishing Returns will hit you hard. Sure, it's better, but is it 20 times better? Hell no, especially not when used with easily driven headphones.

My wallet says thanks. 
biggrin.gif

So you don't think the 8.A's are being let down by the Clip, it still does it justice?

Also, what's the ETA on your Merlins?

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #5,945 of 7,509
Quote:
My wallet says thanks. 
biggrin.gif

So you don't think the 8.A's are being let down by the Clip, it still does it justice?

Wow that is surprising and hard to believe. I'd figure the Clips amp section would be destroyed from a multi-driver IEM.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #5,947 of 7,509
Well when you are in a pinch anything is better than nothing :wink:. My Sansa fuze was lost or stolen in the move so I can't make any comparisons with my Customs. The Roco BA does a marvelous job though for portability and sound quality.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #5,949 of 7,509
Quote:
That's true! I guess I'll see what I think when I eventually get some customs... tough thing is there's no way (that I know of) to demo something like the DX100 and $800 is a bit hard to swallow. 
rolleyes.gif

Yeah that is true. Lucky for me I got it at $699 :wink:. It is clearly superior though to any DAP I have heard to date although the Hisound products aren't too far behind to be honest (especially for IEMs). Maybe you have some other fellow headfiers who wouldn't mind meeting up and giving an opportunity to demo the unit. I think the custom IEMs though are the bigger risk to be honest. Its a hit or miss and refits can be a letdown. Lucky for me though I was able to demo this unit and couldn't give them back after :wink:.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #5,950 of 7,509
Quote:

Yeah that is true. Lucky for me I got it at $699 :wink:. It is clearly superior though to any DAP I have heard to date although the Hisound products aren't too far behind to be honest (especially for IEMs). Maybe you have some other fellow headfiers who wouldn't mind meeting up and giving an opportunity to demo the unit. I think the custom IEMs though are the bigger risk to be honest. Its a hit or miss and refits can be a letdown. Lucky for me though I was able to demo this unit and couldn't give them back after :wink:.

Yeah good advice, I think there are some other head-fiers around so might have to get a meet going or something...
I think I'm going to get a Heir 4.Ai and if I like it I might feel a bit better about dropping $1k on some 8.A's, the resale value should be ok on the 4.Ai's (and even the 8.A's because of their $70 reshell policy) in case I don't like them.
I'll definitely look into the HiSound products aswell, they seem like a pretty good value compared to the DX. Is the Rocoo BA the best for IEM's?

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #5,951 of 7,509
Quote:
My wallet says thanks. 
biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong, the DX100 sounds better but it sure as hell isn't 20 times better with most music
wink.gif
 Once you start playing HD stuff like Hans Zimmers soundtrack to The Dark Knight Rises in 24/192 you realize where all that money went.

Merlins will never show up I believe. They were promised to my by AmpCity... Who once again stopped replying to emails (as did Unique Melody global) only to go belly-up a few weeks later. I'm just happy I got my money back.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #5,952 of 7,509
Quote:
Yeah good advice, I think there are some other head-fiers around so might have to get a meet going or something...
I think I'm going to get a Heir 4.Ai and if I like it I might feel a bit better about dropping $1k on some 8.A's, the resale value should be ok on the 4.Ai's (and even the 8.A's because of their $70 reshell policy) in case I don't like them.
I'll definitely look into the HiSound products aswell, they seem like a pretty good value compared to the DX. Is the Rocoo BA the best for IEM's?

I'll be getting the 3.Ai and 4.Ai - one for keeps and one as a rewiew sample. I'll compare them to each other as well as the 8.A. Sources will be DX100, Clip+ and Fiio E10 
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #5,953 of 7,509
Quote:
I think I'm going to get a Heir 4.Ai and if I like it I might feel a bit better about dropping $1k on some 8.A's, the resale value should be ok on the 4.Ai's (and even the 8.A's because of their $70 reshell policy) in case I done't like them.

Yeah if you are gonna be using sensitive IEMs I highly recommend the BA over the Studio V. Although the Studio V is clearly superior to the BA in sound quality the fact is it hisses a lot and has high output impedance. I either have to pair it with an amp or use an impedance adapter to get the best musical experience (although the intimacy of the HO is just amazing). I do still hear a slight hiss even on the BA but most don't hear this and its barely audible to me anyways so YMWV. I also plan on getting the Heir 8As down the road. I already reserved my price quite a while ago so I have committed to the buy. Just gotta get the funds together. I'm more into fun sounding IEMs and also mellow, non-fatiguing/smooth IEMs. I'm a sucker for large sound stages as well. I don't like the feeling I get from IEMs that are very closed in and in your head. I feel like my space is being invaded and get quite fatigued/irritated rather quickly. Not that I don't like intimacy, I just like a little of both worlds.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #5,954 of 7,509
Quote:
...I also plan on getting the Heir 8As down the road. I already reserved my price quite a while ago so I have committed to the buy. Just gotta get the funds together. I'm more into fun sounding IEMs and also mellow, non-fatiguing/smooth IEMs. I'm a sucker for large sound stages as well. I don't like the feeling I get from IEMs that are very closed in and in your head. I feel like my space is being invaded and get quite fatigued/irritated rather quickly. Not that I don't like intimacy, I just like a little of both worlds.

Oh boy are you gonna like the 8.A!! I rutinely wear mine for 8 hours straight and the music just flows effortlessly, never tiring, never too invasive but at the same time not too laid back like the HD650 can be. Just right. All the sparkle and detail is there but it is never forced on you.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #5,955 of 7,509
Quote:
Oh boy are you gonna like the 8.A!! I rutinely wear mine for 8 hours straight and the music just flows effortlessly, never tiring, never too invasive but at the same time not too laid back like the HD650 can be. Just right. All the sparkle and detail is there but it is never forced on you.

That's how I feel with my current pair of customs. The bass goes so deep and is extremely well controlled. Plus all the detail is still there. I don't feel like I'm wearing IEMs with this presentation. Feels more like full size headphones yet you still have the intimacy of IEMs. Regarding all the complaints with Hybrids and coherency issues. I don't hear such an issue on this pair. I'm excited about being able to disclose the full details soon. It shouldn't be too long guys :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back