Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIV]
Nov 2, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #1,217 of 3,208

touch 8GB with E5, Oyaide LOD and Shure SE425s.

thinking about getting the new nano for an ultra portable setup though. the stupid LOD will be the largest part of the rig haha. would love to get a low profile LOD but there's no way I can justify paying $120+ for a cable that probably won't improve the sound any.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #1,219 of 3,208

Quote:
^ damn i love those cable, shure new line up does improve its cable really nice.

yeah it has to be the most durable cable i've ever seen on a pair of IEMs. plus, if it ever breaks, i can just swap the cable out
smily_headphones1.gif
that alone made it worth it for me to buy them. i'll probably be rocking out with these for a very long time.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #1,221 of 3,208

Heres my current portable rig: Sansa Fuze v2 4gb->TF10s with Monster Triple flange tips

I'm going to be getting the Meier Audio Stepdance and the Hifiman hm 602 soon though

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,222 of 3,208
Quote:

thinking about getting the new nano for an ultra portable setup though. the stupid LOD will be the largest part of the rig haha. would love to get a low profile LOD but there's no way I can justify paying $120+ for a cable that probably won't improve the sound any.

How do you like those Shure SE425s? I was thinking of getting some, but not quite sure yet.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #1,223 of 3,208

Quote:

Or you can ditch the amp entirely. In my experience, other than volume, they make very minimal difference (especially the E5) and the extra heft is not worth it at all.

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #1,224 of 3,208

Quote:
How do you like those Shure SE425s? I was thinking of getting some, but not quite sure yet.

the biggest influence on that purchase was my desire for durable, replaceable cables, and as far as that's concerned, the 425s are awesome. the cable is slightly heavy and stiff though.
i wouldn't say that i have a golden ear, nor have i ever listened to any other sets of >$100 IEMs, so i'm not sure exactly what to say about SQ other than they sound good for sure; very clean and clear sound. i've turned them up pretty loud and didn't hear any distortion. i often feel that they could use a little more bass, but an amp with bass boost takes care of that nicely. and they wear very comfortably without ever feeling like they'll pop out of your ear.

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #1,225 of 3,208

Quote:
Or you can ditch the amp entirely. In my experience, other than volume, they make very minimal difference (especially the E5) and the extra heft is not worth it at all.

i picked up the E5 basically for free (had a bunch of points on the Bic Camera point card) and the bass boost makes it worth it for me. but i would definitely like to try another player with custom EQ capability to see if that would make a difference. unfortunately you can't get the sansa clip here in Japan and i'm not really interested in much else at the moment.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #1,226 of 3,208
Cute (nice iems), but I sort of doubt that the Fiio will outperform the HPO of the iPod touch - this ain't 2004 no more.

Quote:

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #1,227 of 3,208

Quote:
Cute (nice iems), but I sort of doubt that the Fiio will outperform the HPO of the iPod touch - this ain't 2004 no more.

oh, i'm with you there; the touch has plenty of oomph to power the SE 425s by itself. but since i can't customize the EQ on the ipod i've been trying to listen with it off, and there's just so little bass. the bass boost on the E5 gives it just the extra kick i was itching for.

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #1,230 of 3,208
My latest (trans)portable rig.

DSCF1112-550x412.jpg

DSCF1116-550x412.jpg

DSCF1124-550x412.jpg

Asus EEE 1005PE > Foobar2k WASAPI > Fiio E7 > Audio Technica ATH-M50s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back