Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Feb 10, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #4,321 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone with an ipod5.5 and a pico show me there setup to contemplate on how I should do this?
Will the hippo case be too big to snug a pico amp?

Mine's DAC only, I'm afraid, if you were referring to me.

Portable amps isn't my sort of thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #4,323 of 5,950
SANY0032.JPG

iPod 4g "color photo" edition with Simple A1 dedicated amp/"kickstand", updated with HiFiMAN RE1s & Sony Hybrids

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #4,325 of 5,950
4GB Sansa Clip \ Cardas HPI 6 inch mini to mini cable \ Ray Samuels Tomahawk amp \ Yuin PK3.
P1010281s.jpg

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #4,327 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by neco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4GB Sansa Clip \ Cardas HPI 6 inch mini to mini cable \ Ray Samuels Tomahawk amp \ Yuin PK3.
[IMG.]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/gomitaro/P1010281s.jpg[/IMG]

Cheap / expensive / expensive / cheap... that's an interesting combination.

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #4,329 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Velcro my fiio to my sansa fuze :\

P2080093.jpg

I did not like the fuze+e5+senn hd combo,i thought it sounded better with the fuze alone
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #4,330 of 5,950
Specially for the first expensive.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #4,331 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually it was all relatively inexpensive, could have been much more if the amp was purchased new. 4GB Sandisk $49.99+tax CDN, Cardas HPI $22 USD, RSA Tomahawk $170 CDN used, Yuin PK3 $39+shipping USD. Currently thinking the headphones need updating though, possibly looking at Sennheiser HD25-II's. As for the source it is a very good sounding portable source imo and sizewise matches the Tomahawk better than my iPhone would.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #4,332 of 5,950
I'm well impressed with everyone's setup's!! Kudoz too you all
wink.gif

I must say after a few weeks using the CMoy, Sony and Loops cable, I have noticed a significant difference compaired to non-amped head-fi.

I know The CMoy is pretty much at the bottom of the league, But for my first portable headamp it's pretty awesome!

The headphones I tend to prefer on this setup are either the Sennheiser HD218's or the Sony's.
The Pioneer's I prefer for Dance or Electronica as after modding them with some thin sound proofing in a few subtle spots I've lost a little bit of bass and cut the mids back which was the intended result. The sennheiser HD414 cushions have been stuck to the cans with super glue for now lol. But I tend to listen to rock, classical or acoustic more these days so the 218's and the Sony IEM's are best for that. IMO.

My bigger cans ie the HD215's sound good on the CMoy and it drives them effortlessly, Though I use them more on my non-portable rig ( Pro-Ject HeadBoxII )

Switching from the iPod's to the Sony has been a blast, It's a really sweet dap and I'm loving the sound quality.

Do I find the huge cable makes any difference compaired to a cheaper smaller cable?
I'm on the fence...
This one only cost me £6.00 brand spankers on ebay so I'm not too fussed, The difference to me is audible but I certainly wouldn't spend over £100 on a cable/LOD with out being able to demo it before hand.

Now, A few queries....

When I get to upgrade stage, I'm quite interested in the Pico's, Tomahawk's and/or Emeline's.

I haven't seen any Pico's or Tomahawk's on ebay. Where's the best place to buy? UK prefered
wink.gif

Best regards, Paul
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #4,333 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by harbinja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen any Pico's or Tomahawk's on ebay. Where's the best place to buy? UK prefered
wink.gif

Best regards, Paul
wink.gif

I found my used Tomahawk in the for sale section of head-fi, I would recommend keeping an eye on that area as RSA amps and Pico's would go pretty quickly after being posted.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #4,335 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by neco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found my used Tomahawk in the for sale section of head-fi, I would recommend keeping an eye on that area as RSA amps and Pico's would go pretty quickly after being posted.

Yep, the for sale forum on head-fi is your best bet.

I got my Tomahawk on here but I was lucky. I noticed within minutes when the Tomahawk was posted and offered the asking price. By he next morning the seller had received dozens of offers and said that he'd let it go to the next person that PM'd him. Luckily, I was also the first person to notice that message and get back to him.

Basically, they do come up for sale but you have to be quick and lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back