Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Nov 29, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #526 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, most everyone uses those fancy-lookin docks because they have some "magical audio enhancements" which are really non-existent.

Yes, they up impedance, which can change the sound. Those docks usually cost 100 bucks and above, so i wouldnt waste your time. Thick wires dont bend easily, a thinner homemade or cheap dock would be much more manageable for portability.

now more pics
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have an ipod, so I wouldn't need a dock. I'd need a 3.5mm - 3.5mm jack I think. What are they called? Are they really neccesary? What does it do for the sound? Just curious if it might help me achieve audio perfection on my humble little rig lol
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #528 of 5,950
So the stock one that'll come with the E5 amp would do just fine? I was under the impression that they're beneficial to the overall sound quality as so many people seem to have them attched to their ipod, clips, walkmans etc.
confused.gif
I apologize for my noobishness
smile.gif

edit: Just read though a thread on here and there's not any noticable difference between the stock one and a more expensive one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #529 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by urabus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's good 'cause it is Ray and i like is voice... but this album is no Trouble...
frown.gif

I will say that the album "Trouble" is stellar, but the song "Let it be me" on his new one is pure magic to me. I cannot hear it enough. I do like them all though (for the most part).

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #530 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, most everyone uses those fancy-lookin docks because they have some "magical audio enhancements" which are really non-existent.

Yes, they up impedance, which can change the sound. Those docks usually cost 100 bucks and above, so i wouldnt waste your time. Thick wires dont bend easily, a thinner homemade or cheap dock would be much more manageable for portability.

now more pics
smily_headphones1.gif

sorry if i sound blunt or anything.. but.. i beg to differ. line out docks don't necessarily add impedance, and different cables have different sound signatures. not all LOD's use thick wires, by the way.. to prove my point, just look at the crystal cable picolino, or the piccolo for that matter!

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #531 of 5,950
---Quote (Originally by Huckster)---

now more pics
smily_headphones1.gif

---End Quote---
dude; you really should have a clue before you speak. fat cables are not used to up the impedance unless they are designed specifically for that purpose. ie: a ER4 P to S adapter. this is used so that you can use a higher volume on your amp/dap without blowing your ears out; most amp circuits perform better in the higher ranges. sometimes impedance/resistance is a biproduct of a cable but not noticable at these lengths

also dont make statements like that as if they are a matter of fact. I bet you haven't even tried a high quality interconnect. I appologize if this isn't the case, but from the way you are speaking thats the way it seams

IMO cables DO have an effect on the SQ; at the very least they can allow you to access a lineout for better signal.
and fengtard is right; this stuff
crystalcableswblackgate47ufnxhiQ.jpg
crystalcablespiccolinoDIYMODLOD.jpg

its a bit ghetto here but this is a pic before my DIY piccolino DIYMOD dock with Blackgates was quite finished. as you can see it is not thick. this wire has quite a noticeable effect on SQ (and a negative effect on your bank balance). 'llI have some other pics including this stuff that I will be posting in a couple of days; its been a long time coming; but i'll save the description for when I post

all this being said though; IMO a high quality interconnect to connect a filo is overkill and any nuance is likely to be lost in translation. but you may want to get a half decent one because I hear the stock one is crap, but if it works why fix it?? (wow I cant believe I just said that; terribly out of character for me
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #532 of 5,950
Thicker cables lower the resistance. It's a well-documented and scientifically proven fact. The resistance is directly affected by the length of cables (It grows the longer the cable is, more copper to pass through) and reversely affected by the width of the cables, so the thicker a cable is, the lower the resistance.

Whether it all matters at all? I don't know.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #533 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thicker cables lower the resistance. It's a well-documented and scientifically proven fact. The resistance is directly affected by the length of cables (It grows the longer the cable is, more copper to pass through) and reversely affected by the width of the cables, so the thicker a cable is, the lower the resistance.

yeah, would agree with you on that part.. but the amount of resistance in the cable itself IMO is rather negligible.. honestly, it isn't gonna be easy telling apart a 22g from an 18g, especially if it was a blind test!
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #535 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a pic before my DIY piccolino DIYMOD dock with Blackgates was quite finished. as you can see it is not thick. this wire has quite a noticeable effect on SQ (and a negative effect on your bank balance). 'llI have some other pics including this stuff that I will be posting in a couple of days; its been a long time coming; but i'll save the description for when I post

Those cables..
popcorn.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #536 of 5,950
First of all guys I'm sorry for the OT I promise i'll make up for it in the morning with the pics (I promise Darkopi
icon10.gif
) as soon as it gets light and I can get a decent pic. I'm not keen on artificial light in photo's unless you have a proper lighting rig. flouro lights suck

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ummm yeah... they sure do

using a higher quality/purity wire also lowers resistance and often its better to use the better conductor on the return/ground leg. besides where did I argue against that. and you can take it too far and the thickness will add to the resistance again. for instance. 18AWG jena in a HP cable is harder to drive than 22AWG of the same length. it requires more amplification to get the same volume. thats my experience anyway. YMMV. this alone in short runs isn't hugely noticeable unless you have some really revealing gear. people do not use thicker cables to get less resistance; at line level it really doesn't have much effect... if any. that piccolino has 6 tiny thin strands inside there under the silver braided shield. hair thin they are; and its the best sounding wire i've

ever heard. Case in point

piccolinocloseup.jpg

I just love that pic; it still amazes me the SQ I get out of those tiny threads of silver/gold

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #537 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just love that pic; it still amazes me the SQ I get out of those tiny threads of silver/gold

I know the feeling, same ephiphany i had when i started using a wireless mouse and a coke bottle in my setup
beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #538 of 5,950
Another on the T4 bandwagon, mini to mini IC is my first cable, apart from being a bit too long it didn't come out too bad all things considered, but the Neutrik right angle plug is a pain in the whatsit to work with, especially if the cable is a bit fat.

portable.jpg

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #539 of 5,950
confused_face_2.gif
Quote:

I know the feeling, same ephiphany i had when i started using a wireless mouse and a coke bottle in my setup

ummm what the?? I know there is facetiousness in there somewhere but damned if I can recognize it
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #540 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another on the T4 bandwagon, mini to mini IC is my first cable, apart from being a bit too long it didn't come out too bad all things considered, but the Neutrik right angle plug is a pain in the whatsit to work with, especially if the cable is a bit fat.

yeah you have to either leave that part off and hotglue it together or drill the hole bigger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back