Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Nov 30, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #541 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, most everyone uses those fancy-lookin docks because they have some "magical audio enhancements" which are really non-existent.

As a long-time user of high-end "fancy-lookin" LODs and interconnects, I must say that I completely agree here. I have a huge collection of LOD's ranging from about $15 to $160, and I couldnt tell you the difference between them with a gun to my head. I spent WAY too much money in search of a "good" one, before I realized that *IN MY OPINION* they really have no affect on the sound quality, and are nothing more than a simple conductor.

Qusp, what the hell is going on with that cable? It looks like it was made out of paper mache, a broken battery and some christmas tinsel!

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #542 of 5,950
^ yeah I am starting to come to that realization with a lot of portable audio gear. Especially when you consider the circumstances which most of it is listened under. I think the high end stuff is much better suited for the home where it makes a difference in both quality and setting. I have gone up and down the chain with almost every portable phone and the one I listen to right now and love both for on the go SQ and comfort is the JVC air cushion gumy buds. I love em. And yeah my PK2 probably do inch out a little better sound but outside my house as a portable phone good luck enjoying/ noticing it.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #543 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a long-time user of high-end "fancy-lookin" LODs and interconnects, I must say that I completely agree here. I have a huge collection of LOD's ranging from about $15 to $160, and I couldnt tell you the difference between them with a gun to my head. I spent WAY too much money in search of a "good" one, before I realized that *IN MY OPINION* they really have no affect on the sound quality, and are nothing more than a simple conductor.

Qusp, what the hell is going on with that cable? It looks like it was made out of paper mache, a broken battery and some christmas tinsel!

In your signature I see you are using an ALO Cryo cable which is one of the more expensive one to say the least. So there must be some reason that you decided to keep this one and do not use the $15 LOD instead, just selling off all the pricey ones...
wink.gif

Basically, what I'd like to ask is: Did you notice any difference at all when you were switching from the $15 to $160 LOD? I have a cheap $30 LOD from eBay and consider buying a more expensive one to optimize my portable rig.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #544 of 5,950
I have tried LOD from $30 to $195 and I keep returning to a $60 used ALO Six Shooter which I have had for over 2 years. For some reason that particular unit has provided me w/ the best sound backed by an excellent vendor. The line out by Revelation Audion which sells for under $100 is outstanding, better at times. However Revelation Audio has fallen on hard times and people are not getting their items fast of ever.

Another very good dock is the ALO SXC, which comes very close to the Six Shooter. Depending on what you are looking for it is a bit warmer and more relaxed. Kind of what you may want when you are reading the paper on a Sunday morning.

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #545 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

its piccolino cable but as I said its not finished in that pic. to allow me to fit caps in a low profile LOD I use epoxy putty to manufacture a dock connector body around the pins and Blackgates and this one hasn't been sanded back and coated with enamel yet. same with the right angle connector on it. the body on the switchcraft RA mini is too large and gets in the way, so I make an epoxy one and it doesn't have a body at all in the pic so its all exposed and the tubing is for strain relief and has to be on the cable before the body obviously so its just hanging there

I only posted the pic as an illustration of the wire being thin. the finnished result looks something like this when i'm done but of course this isn't piccolino and these are neutrik RA minis
phil4wirelowprojenaxsilverLODweb.jpg

this second one is actually a tiny bit rough, but you get the idea, its unachievable any other way to put caps in a lowpro just isn't room in any of the prefab ones that are suitable
comppic1lowprofileforcovenant.jpg

but this transportable rig I finished last night is. it wont be used like this i'm installing it in a pelican case with a female mini drilled into the pressure release valve so I can plug my cans in on the outside; just waiting on the mini socket
VCAPPICCOLINO-1.jpg
piccolinorigagain-1.jpg

DIYMOD->piccolino wired VCAP dock with eichmann RCA imputs/outputs and mini out too->piccolino silver bullet RCA to XLO mini->Headamp pico->SE530-> beat up comply T400. been washed too many times. need some UM57 custom tips

customs and MD2000 on the way. plus as you can see the pico is positively dwarfed by the dock another excuse to get the lisa III
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #547 of 5,950
yeah I know all gone now you guys dont need to see that eeewww. I wash them every few days but after a bit they just dont come up roses anymore
frown.gif
I bet if you could see the wax on peoples black foams it would be revolting. there's only so many times you can wash comply. and I hate the shure foams. just dont now whether to get the custom tips or just get some more comply until I get full customs. i've got 3 pairs on the way, but i'm sick of shelling out every month for a new pack; so custom tips really appeal

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #549 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but comply tips sounds so dark, I stay away from them because of that.

dark ermmm cant say I notice tem being any darker than any other foam ive tried. infact I would say the shure foams are darker IMO and boomy, and they overwhelm the mids. all round IMO I dont like them at all. great isolation but thats it. maybe comply sound dark compared to silicones. I guess i'd agree with that

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #552 of 5,950
My new portable rig, going from a rockbox'd Sansa 250? 2GB with the stock earbuds to this... Nothing to special, but a HUGE improvement.
jecklinsmile.gif

It's a 2nd Gen 8GB iPod touch going to a set of Skullcandy INK'D that I picked up for $10. For the price, they sound amazing!

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #553 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by lunari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new portable rig, going from a rockbox'd Sansa 250? 2GB with the stock earbuds to this... Nothing to special, but a HUGE improvement.
jecklinsmile.gif

It's a 2nd Gen 8GB iPod touch going to a set of Skullcandy INK'D that I picked up for $10. For the price, they sound amazing!

hmmmm, thats what i thought when i first got my skullcandies (coming from ibuds), boy was i wrong!
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #554 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried LOD from $30 to $195 and I keep returning to a $60 used ALO Six Shooter which I have had for over 2 years. For some reason that particular unit has provided me w/ the best sound backed by an excellent vendor. The line out by Revelation Audion which sells for under $100 is outstanding, better at times. However Revelation Audio has fallen on hard times and people are not getting their items fast of ever.

Another very good dock is the ALO SXC, which comes very close to the Six Shooter. Depending on what you are looking for it is a bit warmer and more relaxed. Kind of what you may want when you are reading the paper on a Sunday morning.

Thanks for sharing your experience, mrarroyo. I was already contemplating the ALO SXC cable as it supposedly is the best LOD availble right now. I think I will go for it after all together with the new P-51.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #555 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by mambo5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm, thats what i thought when i first got my skullcandies (coming from ibuds), boy was i wrong!
biggrin.gif

I've been eyeing the Grado SR80 or SR125s for awhile, they will be next
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back