Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XIII]
Dec 28, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #3,871 of 5,950
Thanks; still havent finalized the interconnect, whipped that up on the morning it arrived. I put my rig back up in the unit when I went for a swim, this only came with me to errmm ..'look at the view'
tongue_smile.gif
this was down at Cooloongatta, though I still wouldnt leave it in my bag at the beach.

the rubber bands are from qables and specifically designed for such a purpose, its not that heavy really, and this rig actually fits in my pocket (unlike many of my rigs), so a bag is useful but not compulsory. I do use a bag mostly; one I got with a 2TB portable HD

the sound most certainly makes it worthwhile

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #3,873 of 5,950

No, that's not my amp taped up, it is a slip-on cover I made to which I was going to attach velcro strips but went with a rubber band I found lying around instead.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #3,874 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rockboxed ihp132CF->Sysconcept optical->modded ibasso D10->SCSCAg cryo silver mini->FiQuest (ibasso OEM)->JH13

remote for iriver not pictured
still havent anywhere near settled on a combination for the FiQuest, but even now it sounds pretty special to me. it will only get better.

the amp wasnt specifically bought for christmas, but the timing was sure very good for it. it arrived the day before and this pic was taken at the gold coast on boxing day

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here, currumbin?
I was thinking burleigh but i didn't see the restaurant on the beach.

How's that fiquest compare to your lisa?

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #3,875 of 5,950
iPhone --> Elite TWcu LOD --> iBasso D10 --> Elite TWag Cable --> JH13 Pro

eimgp7687.jpg

eimgp7699.jpg

eimgp7690.jpg

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #3,877 of 5,950
Cooloongatta/Tweed heads was up burleigh earlier in the day. many people have asked me for this comparison since posting these pics and i'm really not ready to make this comparison yet. The FiQuest is a VERY flexible amp and I bought it in pretty much stock form and ammaxing it out myself rather than sending it off. I want to get my head around the stock sound before I start. for the moment i'm running a fairly conservative combo of opamps ( x 2 stack BUF634 with LME49720HA) caps are pretty much stock and with very little burn-in. I am planning some pretty serious mods to this amp including a totally discrete diamond buffer stage similar to lisa III.

for now though they each have their merits. the lisa III has better bass performance and a slightly more cohesive sound (this bit is expected as it is only brand new and the lisa I have been using for over a year) and the FiQuest has slightly more air and is possibly a bit more articulate. this is changing day by day though and as I said i'm going to take this amp to much greater heights. so ask me again in a few weeks once I have installed all the cap mods and the discrete buffers; with an outside chance of installing some modified Burson discrete opamps if I can make room

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #3,878 of 5,950
ales.jpg

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #3,880 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice pad mod

thanks! its more comfortable!
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #3,881 of 5,950
Here's my portable rig in progress. I have an amp and a few other goodies on the way. More pics when they arrive.

Rockboxed 5.5 Gen 30GB iPod.
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.

pc270018.jpg

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #3,882 of 5,950
Quote:

rockboxed ihp132CF->Sysconcept optical->modded ibasso D10->SCSCAg cryo silver mini->FiQuest (ibasso OEM)->JH13

remote for iriver not pictured
still havent anywhere near settled on a combination for the FiQuest, but even now it sounds pretty special to me. it will only get better.

the amp wasnt specifically bought for christmas, but the timing was sure very good for it. it arrived the day before and this pic was taken at the gold coast on boxing day

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...cablesweb2.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...ebeach2web.jpg

Amazing rig mate. Was it a hassle getting all that stuff sent to Australia? Something I have always wondered since i'm in Perth and most of the high end stuff is in the US.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #3,884 of 5,950
Quote:

Originally Posted by deniall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing rig mate. Was it a hassle getting all that stuff sent to Australia? Something I have always wondered since i'm in Perth and most of the high end stuff is in the US.

thanks, its sure been blowing my mind today and I just got some new opamps to try out in amp and ground positions of the FiQuest. For sure it would be great if we had some portable manufacturers of the standard of the local home dac and amp projects available (DIY) but I import stuff for my business all the time, so i'm used to it. all the interconnects are DIY, shipping from ibasso is reasonable (DHL RULE) and swift. I have had things sent locally that took longer than it takes an amp or dac to come from ibasso (which is in asia BTW). shipping can be pricey and slow sometimes, but its worth it in the end.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #3,885 of 5,950
Quote:

thanks, its sure been blowing my mind today and I just got some new opamps to try out in amp and ground positions of the FiQuest. For sure it would be great if we had some portable manufacturers of the standard of the local home dac and amp projects available (DIY) but I import stuff for my business all the time, so i'm used to it. all the interconnects are DIY, shipping from ibasso is reasonable (DHL RULE) and swift. I have had things sent locally that took longer than it takes an amp or dac to come from ibasso (which is in asia BTW). shipping can be pricey and slow sometimes, but its worth it in the end.

Thanks for the reply dude. I'm particularly interested in the process you went through for your JH13's. I'm assuming you had to get a mould of your ear then ship that to JH Audio then wait for the JH13's to be made and then get them shipped to you. How long did all this take? I'm sure it was worth it but just curious as i'm considering a set myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back