Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Sep 17, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #211 of 3,551
Getting "Cary'ed" away!
wink.gif

Carysystem.jpg

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #212 of 3,551
Nice setup 4N6. See up ^

Looks like you're using bookshelf speakers of some sort which makes a lot of sense given that the room is narrow. What are the room dimensions, and how far back is your seated position?

I'm thinking about setting up yet another system at my place in a smallish room and was thinking of going with bookshelf speakers of one variety or another and digital amplification (Bel Canto).

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #213 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by OG10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just started to collect the hi-fi stuff. Hopefully I can keep up, after listening to swathes of prokofiev I feel like i'd be doing his masterworks a dis-service by listening from crap sources.

Bah.. I need to save for a great DAC for the PC, or just get the next Cambridge Audio 740c.. hopefully decades of collecting to come.

Run and hide while you still can! With those sorts of comments, I can see that you're already headed down a slippery slope.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #214 of 3,551
The room is only 9' x 11' and I am seated about 6' from the speakers. Definitely a "nearfield" listening room. With the Sonus Fabers. the speakers COMPLETELY disappear in this set-up. At night when listening and closing my eyes, the sound is palpable, three dimensional, and, as Sam Tellig puts it, "there is a lot of there, there."

Although I am forced by the size of my house to have a small listening room, I really enjoy the nearfield listening experience. Good stuff.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #215 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that is actually a Sony CD3000 with custom woody cups

Bingo! Larry at Headphile made these for me way back when (starting with my stock pair of CD3000). I wanted to see how close they could get to an R10 type of sound, so he copied the R10 shape. They're a collector's item now.

Believe it or not, I'm just now getting around to this thread (for the first time, I think) and see that I don't really need to post any pics. Thanks for doing so on my behalf, Al. It was nice having you here. Maybe next time you can fly in and stay longer. You didn't steal anything so you're always welcome back! Same with Aaron. (I'm always telling him that, but he's got stuff I'd like to steal as well, like his darling wife and her amazing brownines!)
wink.gif

Seeing the balanced pair of GS-1000's in the pics dated in September 2006 makes me drool even more knowing that soon (very soon) I'll finally have my chance to hear them with the SDS-XLR. I've had the amp in my possession for several months, sort of. One part of it is here and the other part is on the way from Tampa, along with my ES-1.

I really can't wait to hear both of these top of the line Singlepower amps with all sorts of headphone combos! It may get my butt out of the MBL room every now and then. For the past 2 years, it seems that I've been doing less and less headphone listening. Still enough to enjoy them but not enough to... well, no amount of listening to them would ever justify them... who am I kidding!

This has been a fun thread to catch up on. Lots of eye candy. I so wish I had a room like Yikes does! Oh, and that hexagon shaped sub I saw a few pages back. Or was it octagon?

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #216 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The room is only 9' x 11' and I am seated about 6' from the speakers. Definitely a "nearfield" listening room. With the Sonus Fabers. the speakers COMPLETELY disappear in this set-up. At night when listening and closing my eyes, the sound is palpable, three dimensional, and, as Sam Tellig puts it, "there is a lot of there, there."

Ah, but not so cleaver is Sam... he's obviously playing off of the famous "There is no there, there" comment about Oakland, by whomever Google may tell you once said that.

Quote:

Although I am forced by the size of my house to have a small listening room, I really enjoy the nearfield listening experience. Good stuff.

That's what I've heard by - absolutely - everybody who has ever tried nearfield listening with bookshelves, tubes and vinyl. Hard to beat!

Ok, so a little off topic, but that's me...

You ought to try, just as an experiment, moving your couch (or whatever you sit on normally) out of the way for a day or two, and bring in a chase lounge from your garden. I once had a chance (in a room about the size of yours) to listen to a system built around Martin Logan Prodigy speakers (Ok, no tubes and no vinyl, but hey), seated (or, rather, almost lying) in a very low special designed listening chair (German company, forget the name of it).

Anyway, it was splendid! I just couldn't believe my ears. You kind of get "trained" in this hobby to accept certain things as a "given", among them is the notion that your ears should be at about midrange to tweeter height. But all I can tell you is that I was blown away at the amount of detail that I was picking up when sitting so low.

The guy who owned the system in Key Largo, FL (he also sold HMS cables) said that it was his "secret adjustment" to combat the small room size since it gave his system a much stronger sense of height. That, and "this way, the bass notes don't going flying past you before they are fully extended."

Maybe it was a crock in terms of his theories, but it did wonders in his room. When I sat up (had to squat actually because there was no couch) to listen at what I regarded as a "normal" seating position, it didn't hold together nearly as well.

Ehh, but if your Sonus Fabers already completely disappear, there is no sense in messing with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife and I were with Wayne the first time we heard the whole MBL system in 2006 and my daughter joined us in 2008 (the Home Expo show moved from NY to LA in 2007 and then back to NY in 2008).

It was in April of 2004, actually. I didn't manage to scrape up the money or courage to buy them until 2006, however. I thought about them constantly in between. I still do, kind of. Look forward to listening to them every day!

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #217 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice hugo.

the only problem is that there is nothing left to upgrade
tongue.gif

I disagree.... no vinyl source!
tongue.gif

Fun thread, redefines "audio ****"

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #218 of 3,551
Hope this qualifies for this exhaulted hall ...

164924.jpg

Sep 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #220 of 3,551
Yep, I love the way that looks amd that is more or less the way I look when listening to the rig as well

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #224 of 3,551
Thanks, jinp6301 and vcoheda! I am really impressed with the Cary products. The synergy and sound quality they provide is really quite amazing.

What I am running is the Cary 306 Professional SACD/CD > Cary SLP-05 Preamplifier > Cary V12i monoblock amplifiers. The Cary products really excell in detail, layering, instrumental separation, and soundstaging. Although a lot of tubes in the mix, the bass is very tight and tuneful, and there is very little tube noise.

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #225 of 3,551
WOW, this is some really high end stuff man. wish i was working already! dang!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back