Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Mar 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #8,027 of 10,931
Quote:
It's still water cooling! The H100 series competes very well with custom water cooling, so I don't see the need to belittle commercial offerings like that :p

You sir, are very funny. All-in-one cooling cannot compete with a good custom built loop.

I do agree it's still water cooling, but one is just all-in-one water cooling while the other is custom. :D

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #8,029 of 10,931
Quote:
You sir, are very funny. All-in-one cooling cannot compete with a good custom built loop.

I do agree it's still water cooling, but one is just all-in-one water cooling while the other is custom. :D

Sure, in absolute terms a custom loop will perform better but the H100 compares well especially for the price.

Tangster: you're right, I totally missed the fact he was talking about cooling his gfx card.

As for looks yeah, a custom setup looks much nicer but maybe it's just me but I've moved on to a simple setup that is powerful and quiet. I treat my desktop much more like a workstation than a gaming pc now... 
size]

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #8,030 of 10,931
Quote:
It's still water cooling! The H100 series competes very well with custom water cooling, so I don't see the need to belittle commercial offerings like that :p

Competes very well with high end air for twice the price :wink:

I come from the "good old days" of watercooling, which is not very long ago.  We used to use pond pumps and Bonneville heater cores and you used to NEED water to reach a good 24/7 stable overclock.  

Biggest thing that gets me is when I used to sell a lot of "custom watercooled rigs" on CraigsList and then those AIO's started being popular and people that didn't know what they were actually getting (90%) didn't want my well built and high quality stuff anymore :p

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #8,031 of 10,931
Yeah, I remember building my first watercooling system with a swiftech block and a heater core. Those were fun times with the 300A.

For what it's worth, the folks that don't know the difference between a custom wc rig and an all in one probably wouldn't benefit all that much from the improved cooling in the custom unit.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #8,032 of 10,931
My desktop setup...

Antec 900 Case
Intel 3770k CPU overclocked to 4.4GHz
16 GB RAM
ASRock Extreme 6 motherboard
AMD Firepro v4900 workstation video card
2 x 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD drives
2 x 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black drives
1 x 2 TB Western Digital Caviar Black drive
Dell U2711 27" Monitor
Dell 2408WFP 24" Monitor
Wacom Intuos4 graphics tablet

Audio:
iTunes/Foobar ALAC files via USB to
Wadia 151 PowerDAC mini  DAC/Amp combo
Dynaudio Excite x12 monitors
Blue Jeans speaker cable

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #8,033 of 10,931
Shelden N, what do you think of that Wadia 151? I was thinking of pairing that with a pair of KEF Q300s for a PC sound system like yours.

EDIT: And now I've researched your speakers a bit and I'd love to hear impressions on those as well! (Ahh budget inflation)

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #8,034 of 10,931
I really, really like both items. I'm upgrading from a Beresford/Virtue Audio/Usher S-520 setup that I really liked and used for several years for desktop music.  The Wadia 151 was a nice improvement, the Ushers really sang with it. The Dyn's throw up an amazing soundstage though, and really have a great vocal clarity and sense of space. They're probably not 3x better than the Ushers (price comparison) but they are definitely a great set of speakers. I had a severe case of upgrade-itis and some spending money, and so far I've been really pleased with the sound. :)

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #8,035 of 10,931
I have the same desk, but with a second section leading from the left to a rounded storage area. I like the left section to hold my headphone gear and assorted other stuff. Lemme see if I can dig up an old pic.

Here it is.. from about 4 years ago.

headphonerig.jpg

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #8,037 of 10,931
Quote:
I have the same desk, but with a second section leading from the left to a rounded storage area. I like the left section to hold my headphone gear and assorted other stuff. Lemme see if I can dig up an old pic.

Here it is.. from about 4 years ago.

headphonerig.jpg

I really want that desk now. Its so hard for me to find a desk with a keyboard tray that can hold both my mouse and keyboard for resonably priced since I like massive micepads. Mind letting me know if that particular one is still in production?

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #8,038 of 10,931
It is not, as far as I'm aware. I got it about... 10-11 years ago from OfficeMax, I think. Would be surprised if it's still made.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #8,040 of 10,931
Something more recent.....

Whats new since my last post?
The Playbook, New Massage/Computer chair in Ferrari Red, Beyer Hybrids, PB2, Viao Pocket, AT-HA20 & Trackpad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back