Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Feb 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #6,422 of 10,933

Quote:

this thread is supposed to be computer rig.. but since its on head fi. it's more or less a post your audiophile desktop setup..that usually includes a comptuer.. wow. great bookshelfs. what are they? im a headphone guy...don't know much about bookshelfs at all >_<

they are passive bookshelfs, Usher S-520. yea, they are great speakers, pity i didn't have much space to work with.

Quote:

This is such a beautiful picture!!

thanks! glad that you liked it. =)

Quote:
I like it.. Really diggin' the Parasound components.

yup, i love them too. their small size really fits my needs of it being a desktop setup. and they sound pretty good too!

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #6,423 of 10,933

Quote:

By the way, do any of you guys use SSDs in your builds? The prices are heading down fast, and given the HDD market crash they're looking much more attractive.

I had an X-25M G2 in my desktop, it's still quite zippy even though it's nearly two years old (which is a very long time in the SSD world). I moved the Intel to my laptop when I got a Vertex III for my desktop (needed the extra 40GB of space over the 80GB Intel). On my desktop I run the Vertex alongside my triple 3TB Hitachis all on a dedicated 2720 SAS RAID card.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #6,424 of 10,933
the only problem i have with getting an SSD would be programs. i know you have to edit registry to change instal directory..but then TRIM this and that. making sure nothing gets on an SSD and bleh :/

my next PC upgrade will be:
120GB SSD for $130 hopefully and $160 Nvidia Kepler GPU

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #6,426 of 10,933

Quote:
I just want SSD to hit $1=1gb and I'll buy a 500 gig drive. I just can't stomach paying $650 for 500gb of space no matter how reliable and fast it is.

i can't even stomach a storage medium that costs over $200....  just need the SSD to be just enough for Windows and some few fast loading programs and things..nothing else. I get very very fast performance off my non OS blank drives and when I turn off all windows appearance themes(Aero) ..i wnat my comptuer to be like that standard which is why i want an SSD.

i don't wnat to have to overclock my GPU to 910MHz Core and 5333MHz Memory clock and 3.7GHz Quad CPU and set things to high and then realimte priority every singel TIME.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #6,428 of 10,933

Quote:
wait how is 500GB = $650?

Ohhhh SSD - my bad!

I was going to say..I bought a 1TB @7.2k RPM for £60 :)

i  bought my external hard drive just a month before the HDD market crash. it was a desktop external hard drive....2TB 7200RPM . for $75 :D 

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #6,429 of 10,933

Quote:
I just want SSD to hit $1=1gb and I'll buy a 500 gig drive. I just can't stomach paying $650 for 500gb of space no matter how reliable and fast it is.

I can relate. But luckily that's something that we can be expecting sooner that predicted, and not just because of the whole mechanical drive price inflation. It's a good thing that bus performance has been topped so soon...

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #6,431 of 10,933
I see HDDs fail way too often (as a tech) to use them as a reliable storage option. That's why I feel the need to have 4 backups of my music library.

Once SSD comes down a bit more I can reduce that to one I use and one back up. It'll be so nice.
Quote:
I can relate. But luckily that's something that we can be expecting sooner that predicted, and not just because of the whole mechanical drive price inflation. It's a good thing that bus performance has been topped so soon...

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #6,433 of 10,933

Quote:
I see HDDs fail way too often (as a tech) to use them as a reliable storage option. That's why I feel the need to have 4 backups of my music library.

Once SSD comes down a bit more I can reduce that to one I use and one back up. It'll be so nice.

I totally agree.  I use three externals for all my storage.  I have been interested to learn how RAID works as I think it could be good for storage use.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #6,434 of 10,933

Quote:
I totally agree.  I use three externals for all my storage.  I have been interested to learn how RAID works as I think it could be good for storage use.

as an enthusiast im soo soo enticed to just use Raid to combine and make both drives faster than to use raid mirroring. forgot if the first one i mentioned was Raid0 or Raid 1...im just too enticed to go for speed than mirroring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back