Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Feb 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #6,436 of 10,933

Quote:
I see HDDs fail way too often (as a tech) to use them as a reliable storage option. That's why I feel the need to have 4 backups of my music library.

Once SSD comes down a bit more I can reduce that to one I use and one back up. It'll be so nice.

Keep in mind SSD reliability still has ways to improve.

Considering there are 1TB SSDs around, even if manufacturers weren't shifting focus, prices would drop despite the lower rate.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #6,438 of 10,933
Of course it does, but I'd feel confident that both my hard drives wouldn't fail at once that way. Of course I could RAID up, but that's just not something I want to do. I want less drives, not more.

Quote:
Keep in mind SSD reliability still has ways to improve.

Considering there are 1TB SSDs around, even if manufacturers weren't shifting focus, prices would drop despite the lower rate.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #6,439 of 10,933

Quote:
Of course it does, but I'd feel confident that both my hard drives wouldn't fail at once that way. Of course I could RAID up, but that's just not something I want to do. I want less drives, not more.

I agree with you to a certain point. And I wouln't use conventional SSDs for archiving.

Less drives as in how many?

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #6,440 of 10,933

Quote:
as an enthusiast im soo soo enticed to just use Raid to combine and make both drives faster than to use raid mirroring. forgot if the first one i mentioned was Raid0 or Raid 1...im just too enticed to go for speed than mirroring.

I totally understand.  Yet Raid tends to work perfectly well in most cases, it seems.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #6,442 of 10,933
I have it backed up in 5 places at the moment (girlfriend's PC, netbook, external, iMac, tower in another house). I'd like to cut it down to 2 (3 once I get my MB Pro). iMac (main home system), MB Pro (Main portable system), SSD Back up.

Quote:
I agree with you to a certain point. And I wouln't use conventional SSDs for archiving.

Less drives as in how many?

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #6,443 of 10,933
An SSD just for backup? Surely you'd be better off buying multiple hard drives and having them at different locations instead? The advantage of SSDs is speed, not reliability. Yes they won't die if you drop them like hard drives will but they aren't that reliable. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #6,444 of 10,933

Quote:
An SSD just for backup? Surely you'd be better off buying multiple hard drives and having them at different locations instead? The advantage of SSDs is speed, not reliability. Yes they won't die if you drop them like hard drives will but they aren't that reliable. 

well in terms of failure rate. they are lower. but i get what you mean. in terms of..lifespan....if TRIM isn't active or you read and write to it too much. it's pretty horrid. even if TRIM is active and you write to it and read a lot.. much more the former than the later. SSD's........yeah. plus their costs are astronomical as of this time.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #6,445 of 10,933
It's more of an organization issue rather than a cost issue. Having to keep multiple drives in different locations up to date (as my library grows very frequently) is a chore. I know as I do it now.

That's also why I'm waiting for costs to come down at least a little more (probably a lot more) before actually investing. Also, I guess I wasn't clear on my full intention. It would act as mainly a backup, but also just a quick, portable music libarary. Via an enclosure. Wouldn't have to worry about it near as much as I do my current external that I carry frequently.
Quote:

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #6,446 of 10,933

Quote:
I have it backed up in 5 places at the moment (girlfriend's PC, netbook, external, iMac, tower in another house). I'd like to cut it down to 2 (3 once I get my MB Pro). iMac (main home system), MB Pro (Main portable system), SSD Back up.

Unfortunately the industry has yet to develop a completely fail proof backup system, we can only increase the number of backup points so far. You would do better to span it through multiple mechanical drives.

Also, fragmentation prevention would very much help with access speeds, if that's so much of a consideration (I'm not talking about defragmentation passes).

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #6,447 of 10,933
Quote:
It's more of an organization issue rather than a cost issue. Having to keep multiple drives in different locations up to date (as my library grows very frequently) is a chore. I know as I do it now.

Have you considered using something like CrashPlan? That's assuming you're not hotswapping drives of course, just using multiple computers.

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #6,448 of 10,933
Well I don't think anything would be completely fail proof...ever. Speed isn't a huge concern, but it's nice I suppose.

Quote:
Unfortunately the industry has yet to develop a completely fail proof backup system, we can only increase the number of backup points so far. You would do better to span it through multiple mechanical drives.

Also, fragmentation prevention would very much help with access speeds, if that's so much of a consideration (I'm not talking about defragmentation passes).

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #6,449 of 10,933

Quote:
Well I don't think anything would be completely fail proof...ever. Speed isn't a huge concern, but it's nice I suppose.

Backups need, above anything, reliability. And speed naturally increases as tech evolves. Redundancy is still the best alternative for now, as I don't really consider "giving out" your data/storing it on the cloud a valid solution, especially when considering both data sensitivity and sheer size.

But getting back to the whole SSD business, they now are forced to both drop in price and increase in read/write cycles, at least for around a year.

And about fail proof systems, I'm eager to see if 2016-2018 will really bring sugar computing to life :)

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #6,450 of 10,933
Quote:
Have you considered using something like CrashPlan? That's assuming you're not hotswapping drives of course, just using multiple computers.

I'm way too paranoid to use something so opaque like that.

Are there any services that give you something like a virtual drive you can backup to yourself so I could encrypt the the virtual drive with TrueCrypt and know what was going on with the encryption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back