Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Jun 11, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #481 of 939

Actually, I meant when you listen to your iPod Touch directly (just directly from your Touch, no amp.). For example, 1 click from zero volume or 2, 3, 4 on the volume slider.
Quote:
It's 14:00, not 02:00. I'm using iPod Touch 2G.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #483 of 939

Quote:
1. Sorry, I don't have either of those.
2. Wow, that's even lower than my listening volume on the Touch (BTW, which gen Touch are you using? I still have my 1st gen, but not the 2nd gen).

I guess it really just comes down to the pairing of your source, headphones, cables, etc. Just curious, what's the highest setting that you find comfortable listening to on your Slim?

I know you were probably just being thorough there, but if cables used caused ANY TYPE of volume change over such a short distance hell even longish distance, there is something wrong. I tend to listen mainly around 12-12.30 with jh13 out of D10, but its output from the LO is hotter than ipod

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #486 of 939
Ah, so you do listen to your headphones quite a bit louder than I do. I guess our difference in listening volume on our Slims makes sense now.

Quote:
Maybe 13, 14 clicks from zero.

Yeah, you are right.

Quote:
I know you were probably just being thorough there, but if cables used caused ANY TYPE of volume change over such a short distance hell even longish distance, there is something wrong. I tend to listen mainly around 12-12.30 with jh13 out of D10, but its output from the LO is hotter than ipod

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #487 of 939
I never really took much time to comment on the Slim after receiving it so I guess I can add a few pics and thoughts.

I have been using my Slim almost daily for a few months now.  I primarily use it for the commute with the Nano and on flights.  I have also found that pairing it with the Pico DAC out of the computer or iPad makes a fantastic little desktop system.  

My main listening sessions are the 45 minutes to and from work with a Nano full of AIFF music, Whiplash LOD, Slim and either JH13s or UE11s.  

I have historically had a lot of trouble with portable amps during this commute in a very rich RF environment.  The amps ranged from unusable to periodically annoying.  The Slim has zero of the stray RF problems.  I have on rare occasions gotten the cellular chatter when receiving an e-mail on the BB right next to the amp.  As far as portable amps go this one provides the most interference rejection which makes it a winner in my book right out of the box.

I have heard most of the big name portables currently on the market and certainly have my favorites.  I used to own the ALO Rx and thought it sounded very good, in a few areas just as good or better than the Slim.  Overall I prefer the sound quality of the Slim and the better volume control and its much greater RF Rejection made it a clear winner so the Rx is gone.

I have also used the Slim a bit in my home office with the ATH ESW9s as they make a nice little package.  The AT go well straight out of an iPod/iPad so there is not really a dramatic upgrade in sound quality when they are amped.  I typically notice problems with amps through these more than obvious upgrades to the sound.  When comparing to straight out of the iPod I primarily notice tighter bass and maybe a bit more texture in vocals and strings.

I really like the Slim in my portable set up but think it really shines when connected to the Pico DAC.  This combo is very, very good in my opinion and has become my constant travel companion.  Such a small package that can outdo much larger systems that I have heard.

Out of either the iPad or the big computers this combination seems to really gel and makes some fantastic music.  I find that the better you feed the Slim it just keeps getting better. While I preferred the new JH Audio JH-3A, which sounded fantastic, I am not going crazy waiting for mine as I am perfectly happy with the Slim and the plain old JH-13s. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #488 of 939
I was going to buy the JH-3A for sure because of the impressions from all those who had heard it at CanJam. Your statement, however, makes me think that the JH-3A may not be as ground breaking as I thought it is going to be. Can you elaborate a bit more on your impressions of the JH-3A vs the Slim? For example, I thought the soundstage will be much bigger with the JH-3A.

Quote:

Out of either the iPad or the big computers this combination seems to really gel and makes some fantastic music.  I find that the better you feed the Slim it just keeps getting better. While I preferred the new JH Audio JH-3A, which sounded fantastic, I am not going crazy waiting for mine as I am perfectly happy with the Slim and the plain old JH-13s. 

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #489 of 939
As I said in the part you highlighted, I bought a JH-3A as it really is the ultimate way to listen to the JH series.  My statement was that the Slim is good enough that the wait for the JH-3A that the wait will not be too painful for the JH-3A to show up.

The JH-3A is the best I have heard the JH series, though it was also the first time I heard the JH-16s as well so it was not a direct comparison.  The difference is obvious between the two setups but not that dramatic.  I definitely prefer the JH-3A for desktop use but will continue using the JH-13/Slim combo for all portable use.

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #490 of 939
If you don't mind always having to use the JH3A with your 13's/16's then it is certainly the way to go.  Amazing sound, with fully customizable bass on-the-fly make it the ultimate portable listening solution, once it comes out.

The Pico Slim still has a place, if you want a smaller amp, and/or would like a standard 13 or 16 which can be used straight out of any headphone jack if needed, without an amp.

If I were to get a JH3A system, I'd get it with a set of 16's, but keep my Pico Slim/13 rig for times when the larger JH3A box just wouldn't be convenient.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #491 of 939
My Slim has finally arrived. I can't believe how small it is. I'm not going to post anything like detailed impressions until I've had a play for a while and gone through some of my music.  My bass-bloat TF10s seem at least a bit more under control though than straight out of my 3GS playing "Cicadas" by the Coyboy Junkies, which has a deep bass beat. The TWAG LOD seems at least a bit brighter than the Oyaide (FiiO) LOD as well (silver vs copper?).  My complete package: iPhone 3GS, TWAG LOD, Pico Slim, Null Audio cable and TF10s has removed much of the harshness that I disliked playing music on the go, so that's a good thing.  

Still can't believe how damn small it is.

Pictures:

Next to an iPhone 3GS. 

The Oyaide/FiiO LOD looks positively huge compared to the Slim. It's the same thickness as the Neutrik plug on the Whiplash LOD.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #492 of 939
I just received this second-hand from another Head-Fi'er, and oh my god this headphone amp is VERY portable!

During my first 2 hours of listening, I can definitely notice a wider soundstage (I listen to lots of trance). The volume knob is very accurate, and I don't mind the quality of it at all, it actually is pretty solid IMO.

I'll post more impressions when I receive my JH-16 and compare it amp/ampless.

Overall, I'll be using a tesa powerstrip to match it with my iAudio 9, and it will truly be my ultimate portable rig :)

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #493 of 939
The Pico Slim is a very, very nice amp.  They pair well with the RE0 and HF-2.  I am currently waiting for a LOD.  But, regardless the amp brings lots of life into the RE0.  My God, more bass (quantity too), more detail, more lush and full sound.  Though, the soundstage on the RE0 is still quite narrow, it's quite a significant improvement over an umamped RE0.  It even gives the RE0 a warm signature, haha David Brubeck's piano jazz is so smooth.  I am very happy and content. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #494 of 939

Quote:
The Pico Slim is a very, very nice amp.  They pair well with the RE0 and HF-2.  I am currently waiting for a LOD.  But, regardless the amp brings lots of life into the RE0.  My God, more bass (quantity too), more detail, more lush and full sound.  Though, the soundstage on the RE0 is still quite narrow, it's quite a significant improvement over an umamped RE0.  It even gives the RE0 a warm signature, haha David Brubeck's piano jazz is so smooth.  I am very happy and content. 

I'm actually considering some RE0s (actually, Re-Zeros) as my TF10s have too much bass for my current tastes.  Just for fun I've plugged the Slim into my Reference 1 to see how far it can go (I don't like the sound of my iPod that much any more not surprisingly). The result is very good, probably only held back only by the TF10s themselves.  A slightly bass-shy IEM that is given some punch by the Slim sounds like what I need though (similar to other headphones I like).

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #495 of 939
To pile on about the importance of good mini-plug connectors with this amp:  In checking out my new Slim, I found the right channel to be dropping when I rotated the LOD plug in the jack.  Horrors--it's an ALO Cryo Dock that has worked great on an RSA Tomahawk and Shadow, so problem has to be the amp's input jack, right?  WRONG, I discovered after checking out the amp with Justin's help.  Turns out the mini-plug has a tiny dent on one side at the very base--this, in the particular jack used on the Pico Slim, was killing the signal.

I mention this as reinforcement of the above posts that even a slightly defective or out-of-tolerance connector can cause unexpected issues that are not the amp's fault...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back