Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #107 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every review/impressions thread on headfi contains comparisons,even appreciation threads,I see no point in making another thread just for the two amps,it gives us the readers an idea of how it sounds against other products that we may have.I am interested to know how the slim sound in comparison to other amps and especially the protector because they are both the best portable amps in the world.

I think we're lucky enough to have many excellent portable amps available to us that this time. People have different tastes and needs, which is why comparison threads are important. I also think it's nice when you can read up on just one product in a thread about that product without having to sort through pages about everything else. That's why I recommended folks start another thread, so there can be a place for both.

Of course, I'm also not a big burn-in believer, take all first impressions, including my own, with a huge grain of salt (need to live with gear for awhile), and think most people mean well, but actually have little understanding of the language that they're using to talk about what they're hearing. That's why it's equally important that many people have a chance to say what they hear. I think it's important to know what type of music is being listened to, as well as the rest of the audio chain, when folks make definitive comments about gear. I think it's important to for folks to ask questions of the reviewer about their experience with gear and their tastes in general (lots of bass-focused people these days, which I am not, for example). The beauty of a forum is that it's the collective opinion, including the voices that challenge (civilly, please) that ends up mattering to most of us who are just reading about a product.

I'd like to see this thread, as well as others, stay on track (talk just about the slim) if possible. I'd also like to see as many comparison threads as people see fit start up. Apparently, I'm in the minority, but a girl can dream.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #108 of 939
Agreed with boomana. I also don't see the problem with just starting another thread, people think starting threads is taboo. It's not a big deal, it's a forum, start a thread. Makes things easier to find (with the search feature, which people should use all the time with a forum this large anyway). Also, adds variety!
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #109 of 939
are amps continuing to be shipped? just wondering, just so I know whether its worth checking the shipping page periodically or best to just sit back and forget about it till number 84 rocks up at my door. by that I mean shipped once a week or whatever.

i'm very keen to try this out with a modded nano for true portable. i'm covered for balls'n'all portable. so looking forward to my little silver beast.

also has anyone used it with iphone 3G yet? I remember my OG pico amp was great with my iphone as Justin seems to pay good attention to shielding of his amps; so there was nothing much if any interference

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #110 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are amps continuing to be shipped? just wondering, just so I know whether its worth checking the shipping page periodically or best to just sit back and forget about it till number 84 rocks up at my door

Justin stated in the other thread that units would be shipped daily, also you will get an email with the USPS tracking number and you can check track and confirm. Although mine came before the USPS even updated the tracking number or I got the wrong number.

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #111 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Although mine came before the USPS even updated the tracking number ...

Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'll check a tracking page after getting an item if it doesn't update the whole time, and it will say "item delivered" or whatever it says and nothing else
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #112 of 939
That is a beautiful amp. Looking at the pictures, I am amazed that people have such large hands!

It must be insanely small.
L3000.gif

(Sorry to hear all the growling on the Viablue. That's a top quality plug with very clever stress relief - it's just not the right match for this particular amp.)

Someone please post a picture of the Pico Slim in silver. I saw the original Pico is silver about 10 days ago and it was lovely.

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #114 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'll check a tracking page after getting an item if it doesn't update the whole time, and it will say "item delivered" or whatever it says and nothing else
tongue.gif

I've seen what you describe, but never this and still states:

Quote:

There is no record of this item.
Why Are You Receiving This Message?
1. Event information may not be available if your item was mailed recently. Please try again later.
2. The number was entered incorrectly. Be sure to enter all of the letters and numbers as they appear on your mailing label or receipt.

Regardless, got mine and enjoying the tunes ♪ ♪ ♪

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #115 of 939
Oh, never seen that after it was delivered, usually they enter SOMETHING into a computer after they deliver them. I imagine it would be mighty confusing if someone ever forgot to mark one as delivered. Maybe that's what happened with yours
tongue.gif

I hope I get mine soon, starting to realize just how bad the iPod hp out is compared to my home rig, hoping the Slim via LOD will help
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #116 of 939
I'm not five, but if I don't get the number that I have currently.....and don't ask me what number that is.....I am going to be very unhappy. I mean really.....

Changing subject, I really like the sorts of things that Boomana posted earlier today that would be most helpful in reviews ("I think it's important to know what type of music is being listened to, as well as the rest of the audio chain,....") and was thinking that having a list of what goes into a review as a sticky might be helpful for those of us who are review-challenged.

I am not suggesting that we have to follow any review guidelines, but it would give us a structure to use if we chose to. I know it would help me since I am one of these: "..most people mean well, but actually have little understanding of the language that they're using to talk about what they're hearing." Also, I know there are the in-depth reviews that go into great detail about many aspects of the review process and criteria, and I don't think we need to go there either. What, at minimum, would be the list of things to include in a review.....maybe start another thread/stocky rather than use the one here? I didn't want to miss the opportunity to build on Boomana's suggestions above, so, sorry if this was too much of a highjack.

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #117 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cooper, there are some silver pics in the pre-order thread. Here's a link to the post containing them

Thanks! Hard to say for sure but it looks like it might be a brushed finish. The Pico that I saw and listened to at Mingos in Hong Kong (store demonstrator) was literally a mirror finish - almost a bit 'unfinished' in its look but very attractive.

Either way, that silver slim is beautiful indeed.

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #118 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Hard to say for sure but it looks like it might be a brushed finish. The Pico that I saw and listened to at Mingos in Hong Kong (store demonstrator) was literally a mirror finish - almost a bit 'unfinished' in its look but very attractive.

Either way, that silver slim is beautiful indeed.

They do have a very elegant look to them. Nice job Pico on the design. Simple yet sleek.

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #119 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic 748i /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do have a very elegant look to them. Nice job Pico on the design. Simple yet sleek.

Sonic I am curious to hear your impression of the Pico slim compared to the RX amp - I see that you have that amp and JH13s ... the exact same setup I went with instead... ended up with an IMOD, RX amp and JH13s. I was on the list for the slim # 180 something, but bailed out - didn't need two hi end amps at this point.

Anyway looking forward to some comparisons.

Skoog

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #120 of 939
Quote:

Originally Posted by skoog5600 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sonic I am curious to hear your impression of the Pico slim compared to the RX amp - I see that you have that amp and JH13s ... the exact same setup I went with instead... ended up with an IMOD, RX amp and JH13s. I was on the list for the slim # 180 something, but bailed out - didn't need two hi end amps at this point.

Anyway looking forward to some comparisons.

Skoog

Hey skoog, I want gather more information on the Pico Slim before I consider purchasing it. But the chances are low since once I go balanced with the Protector I wouldn't want to upgrade anymore. I've already spent so much money on my audio gear and I think I coming to a stop now at my holy grail portable setup. But the Pico Slim seems like a mighty fine amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back