Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Mar 3, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #871 of 939
  all of the digitally controlled analog volume controls add noise, which is why you hear hiss with the knob at those levels. its a trade off. you either have unbalanced left/right channels at the levels you actually listen at (standard volume pot), or you have balanced channels and hiss at levels you will never use (pico slim).

A perfect trade-off, and it's never been an issue for me. Thanks!

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #872 of 939
  I just checked and the Pico Slim has a very tiny amount of hiss at full volume -- definitely not enough to be an issue. Any other weird noises would be coming from whatever was plugged in to it.

That's what I told Shini44 in PM.  very tiny hiss starting at past 4 o'clock for me, at volumes that would blow out my IEM and ears if music was playing.  I can't usually listen with the volume past 2 o'clock, and staying below 12 o'clock is normal for me.

for me it was cool on the 12 o'clock as will , not a bad amp the slim is really good its just the UM CIEM

someone reported in the pico power thread, the UM CIEMs are better to be used with the power , he got all the 3 pico portable amp/dac and confirmed that UM ciems are better with the pico power :3 

my pico power will be here on Saturday, i hope so :p 

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #873 of 939
hey guys!! it wasn't the slim!! it was the iUSB all the time!! somehow the Mentor and the iUSB don't get along, when i removed it, all the problems that i was speaking about was gone!! the pico power had the same problem but even worse , thats why i removed the iUSB to test the theory and i was right!!! lol! 

yet the iUSB was always fine with any other setup,  glad that i fixed the problem anyway :3 

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #874 of 939
  hey guys!! it wasn't the slim!! it was the iUSB all the time!! somehow the Mentor and the iUSB don't get along, when i removed it, all the problems that i was speaking about was gone!! the pico power had the same problem but even worse , thats why i removed the iUSB to test the theory and i was right!!! lol! 

yet the iUSB was always fine with any other setup,  glad that i fixed the problem anyway :3 

I think I tried to advise you in PM on what you could do to see if the hiss was from your source. Glad you figured it out.

EDIT - Yep, confirmed from my first PM to you:

Unplug your source or DAC, and then with nothing but your IEM plugged into the Slim listen and test for hiss.  If it is almost completely silent then the issue is likely with whatever source you are connecting to the amp's input jack.  However, hiss that is only heard at 100% is never a problem because you will never turn the volume that high with an IEM.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #875 of 939
Hope this isn't a weird question, but how quiet does the Pico Slim go? All my current amps aren't exactly very sensitive ciem friendly and as a result the lowest knob without channel imbalance is already operated loud. They're also giving out quite a hiss at even the lowest level (levels where channel imbalance is present) so I'm starting to look at alternatives now.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #876 of 939
The volume can go so low that the ringing in my ears is louder than the music. 
blink.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #878 of 939
 I can't see myself ever going back to analog volume control when using IEMs. and the pico slim does have one of the nicest volume control at low levels for IEMs.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #880 of 939
Has anyone ever had issues with the sound of their Pico Slim occasionally cutting out, either from the lod jack or the headphone out? There's like an intermittent connection and I've gone so far as to open the amp in an attempt to fix it but nothing works. I've used three different pico slims and they all have had the same issue. I use twag v2 cables with oyaide connectors.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #881 of 939
  Has anyone ever had issues with the sound of their Pico Slim occasionally cutting out, either from the lod jack or the headphone out? There's like an intermittent connection and I've gone so far as to open the amp in an attempt to fix it but nothing works. I've used three different pico slims and they all have had the same issue. I use twag v2 cables with oyaide connectors.

I have definitely had some connectors that did not seat well in the pico slim amp jack.  But I cannot recall which ones because it was a long time ago.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #882 of 939

I have and did exactly what you mentioned. I opened up the case, use a very small flat screwdriver and push the connector pins in the connectors. That allows the the plug to get a tighter fit. My take is that he should have used better plugs.

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #883 of 939
I have and did exactly what you mentioned. I opened up the case, use a very small flat screwdriver and push the connector pins in the connectors. That allows the the plug to get a tighter fit. My take is that he should have used better plugs.

Yes I did that but eventually the pins become loose again and at this point I'm ready to give up on it. I love its sound and it's perfect with my JH16 pros but it's annoying to deal with. I'll attempt to fix it somehow but if that doesn't work then oh well, I guess I'll have to find another amplifier.

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #884 of 939
Yes I did that but eventually the pins become loose again and at this point I'm ready to give up on it. I love its sound and it's perfect with my JH16 pros but it's annoying to deal with. I'll attempt to fix it somehow but if that doesn't work then oh well, I guess I'll have to find another amplifier.

If It's under warranty, return the amp to Justin and tell him to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back