Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Dec 16, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #902 of 939
I finally joined the club.
At first listen everything you guys say in this thread seems to be accurate.
Kudos Justin.

This rig sounds great with my JH-16's and my magnum builds. 128gb micro SD = all my FLAC's with 20gb to spare, plus 50+hours of battery life. I deed to make an LOD to fit and it will be all set.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #903 of 939
I just picked up one of these little guys and hooked it to the HO of a nano 7th gen - sounds pretty damned good - I remember reading somewhere that the output was no louder than a nano on its own (just the goodness of a superior amp) but I have to say that doesn't seem like the case - hooked up to my JH16's, the amp has a much bigger and (heavens!) louder output than the nano alone...

Is it because I shouldn't use the HO? Is there a such thing as a "lightning to 3.5mm" cable?

...also, does anyone have a copy of the manual? I would love to get a photo of the thing for reference - although I am savvy enough to fi=gure out how to use it... 
wink_face.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #904 of 939
  the max attenuation of the pico slim is -110dB and it has 0.5dB steps

a typical analog pot on most portable amps has 60-70dB attenuation, and usually the channels are not balanced until around -40dB.

Which (-110dB) sounds ridiculously good.

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #908 of 939
I am keenly interested in the Pico Slim. After a couple of months of trying to find a neutral gain only solution for the line out of my X3ii Fiio, I am really pleased to read the reviews of the Slim and would like your feedback and advice if possible prior to pulling the trigger, so to speak :)

Basically, I have a pair of GR10 Grados and find them very sensitive to different sources; I upgraded to the Fiio X3ii which I am overall very pleased with, however there's a noticeable muddying of the sound when listening to the variable output. The line out is much cleaner and leaner.

I tried to get the most of this by applying an E12 from Fiio to the line out, but it's not really done the trick, hence my search for a more transparent amp.

My questions to you are whether the Grado GR10's to your knowledge are a good match for the Slim and if my "grail" would be largely found with the Slim?

Also... I would like to ask if you have any distribution/stockist in Switzerland so I can buy here?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #909 of 939
  I am keenly interested in the Pico Slim. After a couple of months of trying to find a neutral gain only solution for the line out of my X3ii Fiio, I am really pleased to read the reviews of the Slim and would like your feedback and advice if possible prior to pulling the trigger, so to speak :)

Basically, I have a pair of GR10 Grados and find them very sensitive to different sources; I upgraded to the Fiio X3ii which I am overall very pleased with, however there's a noticeable muddying of the sound when listening to the variable output. The line out is much cleaner and leaner.

I tried to get the most of this by applying an E12 from Fiio to the line out, but it's not really done the trick, hence my search for a more transparent amp.

My questions to you are whether the Grado GR10's to your knowledge are a good match for the Slim and if my "grail" would be largely found with the Slim?

Also... I would like to ask if you have any distribution/stockist in Switzerland so I can buy here?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

how did you decide that the line out of the X3² sounded how you wished if the E12 didn't do it? that's probably the most important part to answer you. what conditions gave you a nice sound?

here is my wild unsubstantiated guess here: it's an impedance thing, and you prefer the gr10 with high impedance. http://1.1.1.5/bmi/en.goldenears.net/en/files/attach/images/108/332/006/d86e5bc2b7e412b5336098e2d215c3a1.png
something like a 100 or 150 ohm output of a line out would certainly make it brighter.
if I'm right(emphasis on the IF!!!!!), sadly the pico slim won't do what you wish for as it has also a nice low impedance output. I suggest EQ(I might be able to help with the values if it's really an impedance thing), or buying a resistor adapter.

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #910 of 939

how did you decide that the line out of the X3² sounded how you wished if the E12 didn't do it? that's probably the most important part to answer you. what conditions gave you a nice sound?

here is my wild unsubstantiated guess here: it's an impedance thing, and you prefer the gr10 with high impedance. http://1.1.1.5/bmi/en.goldenears.net/en/files/attach/images/108/332/006/d86e5bc2b7e412b5336098e2d215c3a1.png
something like a 100 or 150 ohm output of a line out would certainly make it brighter.
if I'm right(emphasis on the IF!!!!!), sadly the pico slim won't do what you wish for as it has also a nice low impedance output. I suggest EQ(I might be able to help with the values if it's really an impedance thing), or buying a resistor adapter.

Thanks for reply. I have dabbled with the line out as a direct feed into the IEMs using the Fiio in DAC mode and attenuating volume via the PC. I am told this is unhealthy for the Fiio however as it's not intended to supply current (even in small amounts to the GR10's).  Having said that, it does not seem to be suffering. I'd like to hear more on how, specifically I am putting the hardware at risk if sonically I can't hear distortions and nothing seems to be "frying" (ignorance may well be bliss in this case :wink: )

Specifically in reply to this;

"how did you decide that the line out of the X3² sounded how you wished if the E12 didn't do it? that's probably the most important part to answer you. what conditions gave you a nice sound?"

I'm not sure what you mean here. Perhaps I have replied above to this? The sound is very similar however to that which I get with my Sony Vaio pro 13 laptop (ie the Line out of the Fiio), and that is designed for headphone use. 

It's just generally a clearer, cleaner sound, with more "air" and detail to the mid and upper frequencies. I REALLY want to achieve this cleaner sound portably, and it's putting me off listening to the setup I have. 

It may be an impedance thin as reviewers have specifically said they can't hear differences in the various outputs and with and without amps, etc. I'm mightily confused and have been considering recently changing players, upgrading IEM's and now looking at further amplification.

You mention this "I suggest EQ(I might be able to help with the values if it's really an impedance thing)" ; you mean using the Fiio EQ? Something Ive been messing with, but I can't get the feeling it's not just levels but detail I'm losing out on and ref this "or buying a resistor adapter"; I have no idea what this means? Perhaps you can elaborate , thanks!

Ps... i was also looking into a simple volume pot to attenuate the lineout level passively whilst on the go, but I think this is a "bad idea" based on what I have said in the 1st para?

Pfff. mightily confused!

Any further pointers are appreciated :)

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #911 of 939
Originally Posted by salla45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for reply. I have dabbled with the line out as a direct feed into the IEMs using the Fiio in DAC mode and attenuating volume via the PC. I am told this is unhealthy for the Fiio however as it's not intended to supply current (even in small amounts to the GR10's).  Having said that, it does not seem to be suffering. I'd like to hear more on how, specifically I am putting the hardware at risk if sonically I can't hear distortions and nothing seems to be "frying" (ignorance may well be bliss in this case :wink: )

Specifically in reply to this;

"how did you decide that the line out of the X3² sounded how you wished if the E12 didn't do it? that's probably the most important part to answer you. what conditions gave you a nice sound?"

I'm not sure what you mean here. Perhaps I have replied above to this? The sound is very similar however to that which I get with my Sony Vaio pro 13 laptop (ie the Line out of the Fiio), and that is designed for headphone use. 

It's just generally a clearer, cleaner sound, with more "air" and detail to the mid and upper frequencies. I REALLY want to achieve this cleaner sound portably, and it's putting me off listening to the setup I have. 

It may be an impedance thin as reviewers have specifically said they can't hear differences in the various outputs and with and without amps, etc. I'm mightily confused and have been considering recently changing players, upgrading IEM's and now looking at further amplification.

You mention this "I suggest EQ(I might be able to help with the values if it's really an impedance thing)" ; you mean using the Fiio EQ? Something Ive been messing with, but I can't get the feeling it's not just levels but detail I'm losing out on and ref this "or buying a resistor adapter"; I have no idea what this means? Perhaps you can elaborate , thanks!

Ps... i was also looking into a simple volume pot to attenuate the lineout level passively whilst on the go, but I think this is a "bad idea" based on what I have said in the 1st para?

Pfff. mightily confused!

Any further pointers are appreciated :)

yeah so I guessed right for once (yay!)

sorry for the OFF topic guys, this has nothing to do with the pico.
so as I said your options are EQ or resistors adapters(you can get some on ebay looking for fake etymotic er4 adapters, and asking the guy to change the resistor value). an old remote volume stuff would have the same impedance impact, but the lower you set the volume the more impedance you'll get, so the chances of you getting the right loudness with the right signature at the same time are very small. I wouldn't suggest this, also as you said a line out isn't designed for those stuff.

I didn't find what the line output impedance of the X3² was but it's safe to say it's between 100 and 150ohm, they do very conventional stuff.
here is what to expect as signature change from the gr10 when using a 100ohm output. it's the variation from the actual signature, not the signature itself! so for example, at 7khz the line out will make the gr10 to sound about 5db louder compared to 1khz(that itself compared to using the headphone out).  
I only entered a limited number of values(lazy) so it doesn't show the little wiggling between 3 and 5khz. but the purpose was to show how the source impedance changes the signature of your IEM. I hope that can help(maybe take it to PM if you need more as it's really off topic)

I would clearly deal with this with EQ as it's free and doesn't risk under damping the gr10(I doubt it's audible but who knows?).

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #912 of 939

yeah so I guessed right for once (yay!)

sorry for the OFF topic guys, this has nothing to do with the pico.
so as I said your options are EQ or resistors adapters(you can get some on ebay looking for fake etymotic er4 adapters, and asking the guy to change the resistor value). an old remote volume stuff would have the same impedance impact, but the lower you set the volume the more impedance you'll get, so the chances of you getting the right loudness with the right signature at the same time are very small. I wouldn't suggest this, also as you said a line out isn't designed for those stuff.

I didn't find what the line output impedance of the X3² was but it's safe to say it's between 100 and 150ohm, they do very conventional stuff.
here is what to expect as signature change from the gr10 when using a 100ohm output. it's the variation from the actual signature, not the signature itself! so for example, at 7khz the line out will make the gr10 to sound about 5db louder compared to 1khz(that itself compared to using the headphone out).  
I only entered a limited number of values(lazy) so it doesn't show the little wiggling between 3 and 5khz. but the purpose was to show how the source impedance changes the signature of your IEM. I hope that can help(maybe take it to PM if you need more as it's really off topic)

I would clearly deal with this with EQ as it's free and doesn't risk under damping the gr10(I doubt it's audible but who knows?).

Yes, sorry for the off topic stuff here :frowning2:

Just to wrap up (and thanks for the input here :) ) - you are saying basically I am under an illusion that the lineout is better and I'm just hearing a "distorted" output which I am deeming as "better" because it happens to hit my personal buttons so to speak? Maybe I've been going off at a tangent with this one. Psycho acoustics  play a big factor also; one gets used to a brighter sound and then it takes time to readjust to normal again (whatever that is). Ill go and have a lie down now and try and forget all my nonsense... still, the Pico Slim does look a nice option :) 

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #913 of 939
it's a very real signature change. not a question of illusion or distortion. it's not like the GR10 are flat to begin with, so changing the signature is merely finding out what you yourself prefer.
but 99% of the change you heard from the line out comes from frequency response change induced by the impedance of the line out, the very thing an equalizer can replicate. and it could be very crudely summarized as the fact that you appreciate your GR10 with less bass.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #914 of 939
  it's a very real signature change. not a question of illusion or distortion. it's not like the GR10 are flat to begin with, so changing the signature is merely finding out what you yourself prefer.
but 99% of the change you heard from the line out comes from frequency response change induced by the impedance of the line out, the very thing an equalizer can replicate. and it could be very crudely summarized as the fact that you appreciate your GR10 with less bass.

Fully understand. I didn't mean that the difference was illusory, just that I was under the illusion that the lineout was the "right" sound when in fact it was grossly coloured: Psychoacoustically also I was convincing myself that, because the lineout MUST be the "pure sound", the actual outputs of the variable out and E12, were thus inferior, coloured, when in fact they were just giving a flatter response which sounded coloured to my biased perspective. The mind can play tricks like that; seeing something from a different viewpoint can change everything. I really thank you for your clarification. The stupid-veil has now been lifted and I can go back to getting used to normality again (until the next time, lol). Haha. It only cost me an E12, could have been a lot worse. I owe you a drink my friend :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #915 of 939
Well, I have for some time that Pico slim and I must admit that I am amazed by the power that emerges from such a small object. The stage width is not strong point but otherwise it is pretty excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back