Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Apr 23, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #781 of 939

Quote:

That's probably the best way if you want to keep the serial number intact. The number is printed on the amp, so if you just put the tape on the leather case, you don't need to worry about the number being removed. 

I did just post a video of it being laser engraved :)

The only problem with sticking strips on the amp is you may never be able to remove them without causing some daamge.  You're probably taking a $50-100 resale value hit by putting them on.  

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Apr 23, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #782 of 939
I have used 3M command strips twice.

Once, I didn't affix that firmly and they got loose by themselves...

Second time, I had to use an Exact-O blade to sever the foam so I could share my Pico Slim at a meet.  

No problems to the Pico Slim or to the phone detaching the foam, but I was lucky and careful.

While the Pico Slim was attached to my phone, however, I did incur a couple small dents from running around with the combo.

I had some clear vinyl protecting from scratches so that was not an issue...

But, my experiment taught me to use the leather case with one Scunci to keep the slim in the case + 1-2 Scuncis to keep with your DAP.

Hope this helps somebody.

Apr 23, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #783 of 939
What scunci product did you use? And the command strip that are meant to come off a wall by tugging on the bottom would cause this damage you speak of? I'm not so worried about resale value as being able to use it the way i want/need. If I can't make use of the Pico Slim in this way I may just sell it off and get something a bit more suited. Thanks for the help.
Quote:

Second time, I had to use an Exact-O blade to sever the foam so I could share my Pico Slim at a meet.  

No problems to the Pico Slim or to the phone detaching the foam, but I was lucky and careful.

While the Pico Slim was attached to my phone, however, I did incur a couple small dents from running around with the combo.

But, my experiment taught me to use the leather case with one Scunci to keep the slim in the case + 1-2 Scuncis to keep with your DAP.

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #785 of 939
Quote:
What scunci product did you use? And the command strip that are meant to come off a wall by tugging on the bottom would cause this damage you speak of? I'm not so worried about resale value as being able to use it the way i want/need. If I can't make use of the Pico Slim in this way I may just sell it off and get something a bit more suited. Thanks for the help.

Scunci:  No Slip Grip  (Mkubota1 gave me a few, they are not wide and have some rubber inside so they grip)

The Scunci is really perfect for keeping the Slim in the case- use one wrapped around the Slim in it's case length-wise.

Command Strips: I didn't have any damage or any problems with the engraving after using Command Strips twice.  The second time I had it affixed so well that I needed to <carefully> use an X-acto blade to cut and weaken the strips because I cut the tabs off and couldn't just pull the strips out.  If you leave tabs that you can grab, I think you won't have any worries getting the strips off.

My problem with keeping the amp on my iPhone is that I was streaming a lot of news at work and not using the amp for a period and also needed to take it off so that it could be listened to at the Bay Area Meet last Feb.  (And, I got a tiny dent from probably bumping into something while it was in my pocket.)

I'll be keeping it in it's case from now on...
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #786 of 939
Thanks for the help....man, I did not realize how small this thing really is. I think I'm in love. Took a quick listen when it arrived and I  can't wait for my CIEM's now.

I'll give it a thorough listen after charging it tonight and getting some free time between classes tomorrow. Now to get an LOD made to pair with this baby perfectly. 
Quote:
Quote:

Scunci:  No Slip Grip  (Mkubota1 gave me a few, they are not wide and have some rubber inside so they grip)

The Scunci is really perfect for keeping the Slim in the case- use one wrapped around the Slim in it's case length-wise.

Command Strips: I didn't have any damage or any problems with the engraving after using Command Strips twice.  The second time I had it affixed so well that I needed to <carefully> use an X-acto blade to cut and weaken the strips because I cut the tabs off and couldn't just pull the strips out.  If you leave tabs that you can grab, I think you won't have any worries getting the strips off.

My problem with keeping the amp on my iPhone is that I was streaming a lot of news at work and not using the amp for a period and also needed to take it off so that it could be listened to at the Bay Area Meet last Feb.  (And, I got a tiny dent from probably bumping into something while it was in my pocket.)

I'll be keeping it in it's case from now on...
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #787 of 939
Still love my qusp LOD.  He'll make them to your specs...enjoy!

This was when I used 3gs (now I use one Scunci to hold the Slim in the case):

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #788 of 939
Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on getting Chris_Himself to make me one. I am gonna get some cables for my IEMs while I'm at it
Quote:
Still love my qusp LOD.  He'll make them to your specs...enjoy!

This was when I used 3gs:

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #789 of 939
Quote:

What I've tried is experiment with a 3 pack of htc screen protectors. I ended up cutting one screen protector to match the outside facing surface of the slim, and wrap it wih the screen protector film due to its flexibility, and attach a command strip to the film which held it all together. It seemed nice for some minimum bulk protection but it wasn't quite as safe as the leather case so I decided not to roll with it. Best of luck :wink:.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #790 of 939
I guess I'll have to experiment. I am definitely quiet happy with the performance of this thing though. Now just to get the setup with my iPod right. 
Quote:
What I've tried is experiment with a 3 pack of htc screen protectors. I ended up cutting one screen protector to match the outside facing surface of the slim, and wrap it wih the screen protector film due to its flexibility, and attach a command strip to the film which held it all together. It seemed nice for some minimum bulk protection but it wasn't quite as safe as the leather case so I decided not to roll with it. Best of luck
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #791 of 939
Nothing more to add than what hasn't already been said - but I've been enjoying my Pico Slim for about 9 months and have loved every second of it - a perfect match for the JH-13s.

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #792 of 939
I finally got to hear the Pico Slim at a local headfi meet over the weekend. Wasn't expecting to have my jaw dropped so far. Basically no noise, extremely clear, high resolution throughout the spectrum, and so well made. Grade A goodness. Smacks my previous love, the iBasso T3D around the room.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #793 of 939
pulled the trigger this weekend and purchased a purple pico-slim (say that fast 6 times) for use with my ER4/iphone4S travel kit.
in the past, i used the ER4 only for airplane flights (bag with cd player, cosmic headroom amp, C battery power supply), which i later upgraded to a smaller
travel rig (smaller bag with ipod + rsa predator).

last month, i traveled to france and spent time walking around (and taking buses and trains) with the ER4 plugged directly into my iphone for the first time......not at all unpleasant.
since the predator/iphone combo won't fit in my shirt product (the way i was using the iphone alone), i'm looking to put the pico slim/iphone combo in my shirt pocket.

at the same time, i'm sending my ER4 back to etymotic to have the old cable (almost 20 years old) replaced with a more modern, pliable and hopefully much less microphonic cable.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #795 of 939
Quote:
x2 on this one.  Great combination with the JH13s.

I actually prefer my Westone ES5 with the Slim.  That's an even better pairing to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back