Pico Slim first impressions and reviews thread. See p31 onwards for a couple of solid reviews + pics + useful info.
Sep 4, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #751 of 939
The Pico Slim is just amazing.

I went on a rampage and listened to a LOT of portable/transportable amps.

(Looking for clean/transparent amp.  If you need a particular "sound" from your amp, you might need to try a bunch of amps.)

I love my mini^3 but it would be better if I had the new "Lithium battery mod" for longer battery life or maybe the long runtime version.  But it is heavy/little big for pocket use...

The Pico Slim is a tiny piece of "man-jewelry":
  1. Size- there isn't really anything to prepare you for how it is in person...really pocketable.
  2. Battery Life
  3. Channel balance at low levels
  4. Nothing boosted/scooped (to me)
  5. Beautiful craftsmanship
  6. Nice to have input on other end of amp from the output.

I take 2+ hour walks and can actually put it in the pocket easily.  With one small band.

Gonna put some sort of screen protector on it without case and affix it to my iPhone case to try it out.

I'll keep my LOD with my iems.  I only need the LOD when I need the iems, right?

Only con is that the nice, leather case doesn't grip the amp that much and it can slide around.

(If I decide to use the Slim case, I'll want to modify it to hold the Slim in place.)

I think it is worth waiting for if you wish to have the smallest, neutral amp for iems.

Great design and amp, Justin!!!  
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #752 of 939
PICS o' Pico:

(Command Strips are like Tesa Powerstrips.  Will attempt to affix Pico Slim without case after protecting.)

Comparative Stack is:
  1. Pico Slim (Blk, borrowed.  Mine is Silver.)
  2. Sony X
  3. NuForce Icon Mobile
  4. iBasso D12
  5. iPhone 3gs
  6. iPad (Gen 1)

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #755 of 939
Ordered mine just over a week ago and have reading over this thread ever since........anticipation is building.

I need to be patient though. I'm in NZ and I've heard / read 2-4 weeks turnaround time on the Slim - 
frown.gif

I also have some UE Reference Monitors on order, so I'm very much looking forward to getting all this kit hooked up and pumping out the tunes 
L3000.gif

Will post up some impressions when I have it all here and working.

Cheers.

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #759 of 939
Thanks for the update Justin.

Will you email a shipment confirmation once it leaves the US??

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #760 of 939
^JackRabbitSlims:  Slim with UE RM is probably going to be pretty bright compared to your Westone 4.  

I am wondering if the Slim might have a bit less bass-quantity than my mini^3 (I lent my mini^3 out and will have to compare further).

So, the emphasis with the Slim>UE RM combo is going to be mid-mids/upper-mids

I am now pairing with my <slightly> warmer Sony X and experimenting...

EDIT:  I only listened to the W4 once for a short while but think it will be a very different sound than the UE RM.  I'd like to hear the W4 with the Pico Slim again to see how they pair.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #761 of 939
Thanks for your comments CE TEE.

I'll post up when I have all my "new toys" here and give you some impressions.

I have a few a IEM / Amp combo's to work through.......not all listed in my Sig Line 
wink.gif

The 4's are very impressive to my ears....amped and unamped. My Floor standers haven't had much use in the past weeks 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #762 of 939
^^ sorry, should read CEE TEE - 
redface.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #763 of 939
Sounds great...new impressions keep the love going on this VERY portable amp.

I am finding that the treble is very clear and really extends.

Had fun today pairing with the Sony X and playing a little with the EQ.  Got stuck listening to lots of Pink Floyd!

Man- the beginning to "Time" is SO clear with this amp.  Kind of a "scalpel" of a combo (the UE RM + Slim).

I have learned that I like the clarity that comes from detailed ear/headphones because I personally strain from the reflections with speakers in my place.

This satisfies all need for clarity and detail.  Now I can look to more "relaxed" set-ups as I can now "relax" my "detail quest".

BTW, I found the CLAS/RxII combo incredibly clear and detailed/extended too...just a LOT bigger (and two units + more $).

About the "regular" Pico (which is also very well crafted and small)- I found it noticeably warmer.  

Might be nice to have one of those later too...that's getting really greedy though!

There has been a lot of discussion about the volume pot but I think it is a great thing the more I read Justin's explanations of it.

Would be great to have a summary of his comments on the volume control in one place.  Sounds like a unique implementation.

Only if I turn it <really quickly> do I hear some sort of noise, which is nice.  It is the opposite of "not enough steps" with iems- such as the iPhone volume control.  

The knob might wiggle a <tiny bit> in the case, but I actually love the design and machining.  Easy to find and operate.

So, Slim works well for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back