Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,531 of 15,268
Someone here or X1 thread did something with headband. If I remember correctly he de-attached those plastic ribbons in the middle from inside the soft "foam" headband and stuck them back un-attached. According to him it didn`t come loose like that and relieved the pressure on head. Maybe it helps.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,533 of 15,268
  Someone here or X1 thread did something with headband. If I remember correctly he de-attached those plastic ribbons in the middle from inside the soft "foam" headband and stuck them back un-attached. According to him it didn`t come loose like that and relieved the pressure on head. Maybe it helps.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... What plastic ribbons?
  is the elastic comfy band touching the actual top headband?

No. There's like 1cm (or a bit more) of space between the external headband and the elastic one.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,534 of 15,268

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... What plastic ribbons?
No. There's like 1cm (or a bit more) of space between the external headband and the elastic one.

the elastic (on the X1) or rather the plastic band ( on the x2 that goes through the puffy headband) was cut off. Not sure if it applies to the X2 because the X1 had elastic strings. Ill try to find the post, I saw it tho.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,535 of 15,268

Plastic ribbons are circled with red. They move inside headband and should be attached by somekind of elastic (yellow line).
It was de-attached from the middle (maybe not even cut) and put back same way. After this mod that soft hammock should have larger moving tolerance and it shouldn`t come off easily despite de-attaching it from middle.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,537 of 15,268
Do the fidelio X2 have a bump in the treble frequency relative to the ath-m50? I have the ath-m50 and i find them treble-heavy to the extent of being mildly harsh and fatiuging at times. I wanna upgrade to an open headphone, but i dont want to suffer from this problem even more.. any thoughts?

The X series isn't close to being as uncomfortable as the m50s. And a lot less fatiguing. I upgraded from my ultrasone hfi580s and don't regret it one bit. The 580 and m50 are pretty much neck to neck in their category; just an fyi.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #1,538 of 15,268
  That`s what I was also afraid - too neutral with brighter signature. I listen music by longer sessions and my ears are quite sensitive to treble, so X1 have probably hit the nail for me.

Maybe a litle more neutral, but I think you'd still be pretty impressed with the bass quantity and quality. Coming from the X1, I didn't find too much difference in the bass quantity and maybe slightly more bass definition. I think I'd prefer the treble tuning of the X1's as I do find the X2's can be just a little sibilant sometimes- depends on the material though. I'm probably in the minority on this preference.  The X2's are still a warm sounding headphone.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,539 of 15,268
Thanks for input! I`m probably also in that minority.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,541 of 15,268
  Wish these were as comfortable as my HD598's. Probably my only grief with them. The clamp on my jaw and circular pads rather than oval aren't winning me over.

You've probably done this, but have you tried stretching the headband out? (I find that running over the headband with a tank really makes it lose its clamping force.  The downside is that you can't really use them anymore.  It's worth a try though, right?)

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,542 of 15,268

Plastic ribbons are circled with red. They move inside headband and should be attached by somekind of elastic (yellow line).
It was de-attached from the middle (maybe not even cut) and put back same way. After this mod that soft hammock should have larger moving tolerance and it shouldn`t come off easily despite de-attaching it from middle.

Oh I get it now, thank you. But if I cut the elastic, won't the headband just be too free to move around?

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #1,543 of 15,268
How does the X2 sound for club/dance music? My Sony MDR ZX700's are severely lacking in the bottom end. My Xiaomi Piston 2's are too bass heavy too. I would have gone for the X2's if I had not read they changed the FR. :frowning2:

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #1,544 of 15,268
I think people are going too far on the X1 and X2 differences. They have a very similar house sound. The X1 is bass heavy, the X2 is more neutral. If you compare the graphs, they are quite similar barring a few differences mainly in less bass creeping up towards the lower mids, and less downward slope in the mid transition. The upper mids are probably the biggest change and that was what was adjusted quite a bit.

Its like a DT990 to DT880. They both share the same general house sound, one being bass heavy, and one being more neutral (though still quite full in the bass).

The one thing that the X1 and X2 have over the Beyers is that their tonality aren't as aggressive and fatiguing.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #1,545 of 15,268
  How does the X2 sound for club/dance music? My Sony MDR ZX700's are severely lacking in the bottom end. My Xiaomi Piston 2's are too bass heavy too. I would have gone for the X2's if I had not read they changed the FR. :frowning2:

I really enjoy them with trance/dubstep/electronic... I think they're even better than closed back headphones because they make me feel like I'm in a club. Closed back headphones don't give you that sensation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back