Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 6, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #1,517 of 15,268
Yes they did make improvements but at the expense of sound stage, warmth and air. Some prefer a warm laid back signature and some prefer a more up front sound, a more exciting sound. I guess whatever your preference is will determine if you view the X2 as an improvement or not.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #1,518 of 15,268
  That`s what I was also afraid - too neutral with brighter signature. I listen music by longer sessions and my ears are quite sensitive to treble, so X1 have probably hit the nail for me.

I hate harsh treble, I hated AKG Q701 because of this and sold it. X2 is in no way harsh. It's not too laid-back like HD650 but I can listen to music with it for hours. Treble is just right, not harsh but not recessed either. And I don't get this about X2 being bright, it's neutral not bright. Bright is Beyerdynamic T90, AKG KXX etc. If anything, X2 is slightly on the warm side of neutral. I think some of you guys got used to too warm headphones with tube amps making it even warmer, you forgot how neutral sound is.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #1,519 of 15,268
The X2 headband has been hurting my head this morning 
frown.gif
 What.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #1,520 of 15,268
Too neutral and bright are not what the X2 sounds like at all. It is in no way BRIGHT. In fact, the soundstage is a little smaller than the X1 because the transition from mids to treble is smoother, with the mids maintaining a better level relative to the treble, than the X1 which had a laid back mids which then peaks up in the treble. The X2 has a broader range of treble presence. But it is still less glaring overall. The bass is quite similar to the X1, just more controlled, and with more mids that make the bass more integrated, and not as prominent sounding. It doesn't mean its lacking. The bass is quite full and lively. Just, the X2 puts importance on more than just bass than the X1.

I like my bass full and well represented. The X2 is not lacking.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #1,521 of 15,268

That`s what I was also afraid - too neutral with brighter signature. I listen music by longer sessions and my ears are quite sensitive to treble, so X1 have probably hit the nail for me.

I hate harsh treble, I hated AKG Q701 because of this and sold it. X2 is in no way harsh. It's not too laid-back like HD650 but I can listen to music with it for hours. Treble is just right, not harsh but not recessed either. And I don't get this about X2 being bright, it's neutral not bright. Bright is Beyerdynamic T90, AKG KXX etc. If anything, X2 is slightly on the warm side of neutral. I think some of you guys got used to too warm headphones with tube amps making it even warmer, you forgot how neutral sound is.

Don`t get me wrong. I believe that X2 is great HP and overall improvement to X1. It`s just my personal preference. I like littlebit laid-back, smooth "tubey" warm sound, large airy soundstage with distance between music and listener, like listening with speakers. I`m not so much into neutral sound (I do like it though) but it tends to fatigue my ears and has something "missing", creating no emotion and music doesn`t swallow me into it. 

Btw, calm down, nobody said X2 is bright sounding. It was said that X2 is brighter than X1 and I think it would be too much for me along with more neutral(colder) signature.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #1,522 of 15,268
Nothing fatiguing about the X2. You guys make it sound like its a Beyerdynamic. It is not. It is still leaning towards warmth in the bass (NOTHING passes the bass on the X2, but merely meets it).

Oh, the X2 with the Vali is quite tubey and pleasantly toned. Nothing, nothing fatiguing there.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #1,523 of 15,268
Personal preferences, personal taste. 

Some prefer a warm laid back signature and some prefer a more up front sound, a more exciting sound. I guess whatever your preference is will determine if you view the X2 as an improvement or not.

It`s not only about neutral sound "fatigue", according to Rave77 impressions, I would probably also miss larger and airier soundstage also.
Stop defending X2, no need, no-one said it is worse than X1. Matter of taste 
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #1,524 of 15,268
Airier soundstage. That's something warmer headphones don't tend to have. Irony. The only reason X1 has more soundstage is the stronger treble peak (which ironically is more fatiguing than the X2 treble in general), and a recessed midrange, which places vocals and instruments further back. Airier is not something I'd hold the X1 over the X2. Larger, yes. Airier, no.

Cans like the MA900 have large soundstages, but aren't exactly airy.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,525 of 15,268
Airier soundstage. That's something warmer headphones don't tend to have. Irony. 

Sorry but I disagree 
wink.gif

...stronger treble peak (which ironically is more fatiguing than the X2 treble in general), and a recessed midrange...

Can`t detect any treble peak with X1 nor I find midrange recessed (it`s neutral). Maybe it`s about gear setup and personal hearing, dunno but I do not agree with You opinion and find this X2 "defending" quite silly actually.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #1,527 of 15,268
Maybe it`s about gear setup and personal hearing

Look at my profile what I`m using with my X1. Don`t know if it matters but our music taste seems to be also totally different.

I really do not want to argue about this subject anymore. I have my own opinion and I do not care who is right, who is wrong. Good day sir.

If You want to continue arguing with somebody, then please do it with person who made those statements:
  Just got the X2s coming from some Q701s and X1. On first impression the bass is slightly less than the X1 but is better controlled, seems to hit lower and is tighter.

Mids are more up front and the warmth of the X1 is not there at all, this makes the X2 more an exciting listing but more fatiguing than the X1.

Treble is brighter than the X1 but that sense of air is not there as it was on the X1

Sound stage is to my ears smaller than the X1.

I like the X2 but I miss the warmth, air and sound stage of the X1.

Yes I changed the stock cable and had about 200+ hours on the X1 and it sounded great, the bass is tight and not booming at all, still the X2 does bass slightly better IMO. 

I'll give the X2 the same amount as hours as the X1 and see how it sounds. For me the X2 is a neutral headphone with great  bass, the X1 is a very warm headphone with very good bass.

I'm leaning towards the X1 myself for the warmth and substantially bigger sound stage but will see, the X2 does sound great and is a more engaging listen over shorter periods. I could listen to the X1 all day long and not get fatigued, same can't be said of the X2 with its brighter signature.

Yes they did make improvements but at the expense of sound stage, warmth and air. Some prefer a warm laid back signature and some prefer a more up front sound, a more exciting sound. I guess whatever your preference is will determine if you view the X2 as an improvement or not.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #1,529 of 15,268
Your definition of neutral happens to be quite incorrect then.

My bad, I do agree that the X1's mids are neutrally toned. What I meant was that the X1 wasn't neutral as a whole (quite leaning on warmth). I think I argued with myself here. Please continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back