Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 7, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #1,546 of 15,268
I really enjoy them with trance/dubstep/electronic... I think they're even better than closed back headphones because they make me feel like I'm in a club. Closed back headphones don't give you that sensation.

+1 and they go deep when needed

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,548 of 15,268
Yeah, stock cable is a bit long and unruly.

The X2 is fantastic for bass heavy genres. Suits it quite well.

Testing out the HDR on my Nexus 6...

Wow, picked up the smudge on that 'circle'. Wiped right off. :D

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #1,550 of 15,268
Any 3.5mm cable will work, from what I have seen, unless it's super thick at the barrel which may hit the side of the ear pad, though it's doubtful. I use the one Kamakahah made for me a year ago for the X1, which has a 0.2ohm resistance (not that I hear a difference with the X2 stock cable). It's shorter, and has a fancy sleeve kinda like the stock cable.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,552 of 15,268
Any 3.5mm cable will work, from what I have seen, unless it's super thick at the barrel which may hit the side of the ear pad, though it's doubtful. I use the one Kamakahah made for me a year ago for the X1, which has a 0.2ohm resistance (not that I hear a difference with the X2 stock cable). It's shorter, and has a fancy sleeve kinda like the stock cable.

Glad it's still working for you.
Did a cable tour for the X1 a while back. It went well until the last guy stole them.
The consensus was basically don't stress the cable for sound despite small changes. The more important factors were usability: The length, flexibility and style were far more important to those that compared the two cables I made against the stock.

I agree with them. Even I get lazy sometimes and just braid a long stock cable until I get the desire to build the cable or do the necessary modification. It works.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #1,553 of 15,268
How do these compare to the AKG Pro Audio K712PRO?

For me, the X2s are better all-rounders, but the K712s beat them in sound stage (easily) and detail retrieval.  My pair of K712s were a little too hot in the 2-4 kHz range... I'm guessing, but some guitars and vocals were far too bright/forward, and required slight EQ reductions to be listenable.  I thought the K712s responded well to general EQing on my rig.  I feel no need to EQ the X2s.  I prefer the X2s bass to the K712s, but IIRC, AKG markets them for studio use, and I can see why people use them in mixing and mastering sessions (quite a few Amazon reviewers mention that).

So while the X2s aren't going to turn bedroom indie rock into a well-mastered studio recording, they're a bit more forgiving.  Such stuff on the K712s is just not pleasant.  But again, that speaks more to the recording than the cans.

HTH.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #1,556 of 15,268
Some guy stole them? I did not know that - what an a** hat! I, for one, appreciated the time, effort and cost for you to organize the swap and your synopsis above basically mirrors my own conclusions.

+1 on all accounts.

As a participant in that cable tour, thanks again to Kamakahah
 for setting that up.

Yeah. Sorry I never got to give them away to the guys that followed the rules.
Anyway enjoy your X1/X2.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,557 of 15,268
Wow, people can be such... just, ugh.

And I agree withThurston on the 712 comparisons. I prefer the X2 due to a more well rounded experience. I LOVE the 712s, but they do have a hot spot up top, which is one of the reasons I prefer the Annie over the 712.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,558 of 15,268
Dec 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,560 of 15,268

Users who are viewing this thread

Back