Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 11, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #15,256 of 15,268
hi, I've owned these for years and rarely listen to them now and I noticed that they have a warm but mostly dry signature.
Just want to confirm if anyone else feels the same... because for me these headphones are a letdown these days, aren't velvety or smooth

I know it's odd to express it that way but that's what I've perceived them to be.
it is the original x2, stock pads
I'd agree with you, they are quite a dry sound. Especially compared to something like the HD6XX/HD650 which is a nice smooth experience.

That's why I keep my X2 just for gaming. That dry characteristic is perfect for it. Whereas my HD650 is too smooth for gaming.

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #15,257 of 15,268
I'd agree with you, they are quite a dry sound. Especially compared to something like the HD6XX/HD650 which is a nice smooth experience.

That's why I keep my X2 just for gaming. That dry characteristic is perfect for it. Whereas my HD650 is too smooth for gaming.
Good value for gaming and introductory to semi- mid-fi sound. They were one of my first headphones in this hobby. They really were something when I was new!

Mar 7, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #15,258 of 15,268
I'm a little late to the party with these but as they say better late than never. It actually took me a couple of months to decide on weather to buy them or not as I've been happy with my shp9500 and grado sr60e but I think I got a good deal from Amazon at £111 for the x2hr.
They've surprised me just how nice a pair of headphones they actually are. Buld quality and sound are definitely a step up. Running from my Spartan Music Helot 2x tube amp they sound almost 3d.
My system isn't high end or anything but I'm happy and enjoying the music 🎶 😀

Martin

Mar 7, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #15,259 of 15,268
I'm a little late to the party with these but as they say better late than never. It actually took me a couple of months to decide on weather to buy them or not as I've been happy with my shp9500 and grado sr60e but I think I got a good deal from Amazon at £111 for the x2hr.
They've surprised me just how nice a pair of headphones they actually are. Buld quality and sound are definitely a step up. Running from my Spartan Music Helot 2x tube amp they sound almost 3d.
My system isn't high end or anything but I'm happy and enjoying the music 🎶 😀

Martin
Welcome to the club. I have the OG from 2014, which still rock my world. I have more expensive, newer headphones, but the longetivity of my X2 ownership says everything. No other HP I have is as much fun to listen to, always putting a big smile on my face. Enjoy.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #15,260 of 15,268
Welcome to the club. I have the OG from 2014, which still rock my world. I have more expensive, newer headphones, but the longetivity of my X2 ownership says everything. No other HP I have is as much fun to listen to, always putting a big smile on my face. Enjoy.
I could post exactly the same thing. This was my first serious headphone. It's still pretty serious to me, though most of the others cost more and do more.

A friend, a drummer, came by my office once. I keep the wooden-earcup headphones in drawers, but the X2s just hang out in plain sight. I'll never forget his reaction ... his eyes bugged out looking at the X2s. He had to hear them, so I fired them up. The sound (and the sturdy look) completely blew his mind. He had no idea what this or that headphone cost: to him, the X2 was the baddest headphone on the planet.

It still impresses me, too.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #15,261 of 15,268
Picked up a pair of X2HR from eBay for £60.

Crispy but clear treble, great clarity. mid and subbass when called for, find that EQing even just a touch more bass makes things too muddy.
Very nice fit but heavy after a couple of hours. Better fit than Amiron which wouldn't seal behind ears.
Considering making balanced with a 4 pole 3.5mm socket just for the hell of it even though they are easy to drive, might get a little more definition.
Really impressed, much better than a modded dt770! Any suggestions where to next? Considered Sundara but do not get on with edgy Hifiman signature.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #15,262 of 15,268
Picked up a pair of X2HR from eBay for £60.

Crispy but clear treble, great clarity. mid and subbass when called for, find that EQing even just a touch more bass makes things too muddy.
Very nice fit but heavy after a couple of hours. Better fit than Amiron which wouldn't seal behind ears.
Considering making balanced with a 4 pole 3.5mm socket just for the hell of it even though they are easy to drive, might get a little more definition.
Really impressed, much better than a modded dt770! Any suggestions where to next? Considered Sundara but do not get on with edgy Hifiman signature.
While you're exploring Philips, try the Philips SHP9500. In terms of tuning they're more balanced. Less soundstage but more clarity. Also much lighter on the head. They're complimentary to the X2HR. You can get them for a very good price on AliExpress.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #15,263 of 15,268
While you're exploring Philips, try the Philips SHP9500. In terms of tuning they're more balanced. Less soundstage but more clarity. Also much lighter on the head. They're complimentary to the X2HR. You can get them for a very good price on AliExpress.
I'll keep my eye out for a second hand pair. My current go to for sound signature is the dt150. Hopefully getting a dt250 as well. Modded a pair of AKG k52, balanced with dt770 pads, not bad for £25!

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #15,264 of 15,268
Reading this thread was what convinced me to buy them as there doesn't seem to be many people that have had any majer issues with them plus the fact I'm not good with change so when I find something I like I tend to stick with it. On that note I don't see any reason why what I have now won't last me a lifetime as I enjoy all my headphones but the x2hr are good enough to be my end game. 😁

Martin

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #15,265 of 15,268
I'll keep my eye out for a second hand pair. My current go to for sound signature is the dt150. Hopefully getting a dt250 as well. Modded a pair of AKG k52, balanced with dt770 pads, not bad for £25!
Very nice. Typically the used prices here in the UK tend to be close to the new price on Ali. No idea why but the price of the SHP models have crept up over the past couple of years.

The Rode NTH-100 is also an excellent headphone if you're looking to play around in the same kind of price area.

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #15,266 of 15,268
I see a lot of broken RODE NTH-100 on eBay :frowning2:
Still need to mod some T50RPs I've got lying around....

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #15,268 of 15,268
The journey continues...

IMG_20240315_152708.jpg

I decided to balance my X2HRs with a 3.5mm 4 pole PCB mount socket as I had an extra 3.5mm-4.4mm cable I made for my T50RPs (that's why there's a right angle jack). I love balancing work - I have balanced all of the headphones in my signature. Panel mount 3.5mm / 2.5mm sockets won't fit unless you drill out the cup hole.

Straightforward (I have some experience but wouldn't call myself an expert). I didn't take pictures as I was doing it as my aged phone doesn't do close ups well.

1. Take off pads
  2. Unscrew the driver from the LEFT side only
  3. Unscrew the small PCB that has the 3 pole socket on it. There may be a little bit of glue, it comes off with some patience.
  4. Desolder the driver wires from the PCB
  5. I dremeled out part of the cup as the 4 pole socket is slightly longer and won't fit as is. I also burred off the square edges of the socket so it fits flush with the cup.
  6. Soldered the drivers onto the 4 pole socket, then bent the legs flat otherwise the driver won't sit flush in the cup.
  7. Reassemble.

Overall, very little difference in sound except the background is blacker, a slight dullness has lifted and soundstage a little wider. What I expect from balancing in general. No change in overall balance. I love it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back