Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,561 of 15,268
Hey guys, not wanting to be rude but can You continue this conversation in PM? 
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,562 of 15,268
Dec 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,563 of 15,268
Looking to jump into my first pair of audiophile headphones with the X2, could anyone recommend any set-ups for dac+amp for them? Will be using them for Games, Movies/TV and Music. I'm not sure if I should get a soundcard or not as well if they help for the games side. People say 5.1/7.1 stuff is just gimmick, could just use Razor virtual surround and go with the dac+amp.

Was looking at the new Schiit Fulla, but could look into more expensive ones like the Magni/Modi combo or the O2 Combo, but really not sure if a tube amp like the Aune T1 be good? 

Done a bit of reading but cannot really decide yet haha.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #1,564 of 15,268
Aune T1 is not tube amp - it is SS DAC with tube buffer + SS amp.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #1,565 of 15,268
  Looking to jump into my first pair of audiophile headphones with the X2, could anyone recommend any set-ups for dac+amp for them? Will be using them for Games, Movies/TV and Music. I'm not sure if I should get a soundcard or not as well if they help for the games side. People say 5.1/7.1 stuff is just gimmick, could just use Razor virtual surround and go with the dac+amp.

Was looking at the new Schiit Fulla, but could look into more expensive ones like the Magni/Modi combo or the O2 Combo, but really not sure if a tube amp like the Aune T1 be good? 

Done a bit of reading but cannot really decide yet haha.

I've got Razer Surround, it's pretty iffy.  I don't use it.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,566 of 15,268
Another one is the Little Dot MK2 I was looking at.

I've been reading that tube amps help with the soundstage with gaming (well some people say). Though then counter arguments that it spreads soundstage and making them less accurate.

Probably best to try them but not really possible. I'll likely have to go for a safer option, guessing it's too early to tell if the Schiit Fulla is any different to the Modi/Magni combo for the X2s?

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #1,567 of 15,268
Virtual surround is not a gimmick. It works incredibly well. Creative's SBX surround, and Dolby Headphone in particular throw very convincing surround sound for any stereo headphones.

I'm betting those who thought it was a gimmick had their settings wrong, or expected it to sound like headphones. Well, it doesn't. Virtual surround is literally like simulated speakers in a room, so initially it will be jarring.

Razer surround sucks. Don't use it.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #1,568 of 15,268
Virtual surround is not a gimmick. It works incredibly well. Creative's SBX surround, and Dolby Headphone in particular throw very convincing surround sound for any stereo headphones.

I'm betting those who thought it was a gimmick had their settings wrong, or expected it to sound like headphones. Well, it doesn't. Virtual surround is literally like simulated speakers in a room, so initially it will be jarring.

Razer surround sucks. Don't use it.

Would you recommend soundcards then instead of a DAC if I wanted to go along the route of using virtual sound? Does virtual sound help for films as well, or best to disable?

I really enjoyed CMSS 3D and the THX TruStuio Pro tests over the Dolby Headphone (seemed quite echoy with the tests I listened to). I haven't listened to much of the SBX but guess I get it with the other creative stuff.

So would have to look at one of the Creative soundcards like X-Fi Titanium HD or Sound Blaster Z

Would I still need an amp with a soundcard?

So would look like Soundcard -> (3.5mm or RCA?) amp -> Fidelio X2

Thanks for the info as well. Probably info around else where but so much to read :)

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,569 of 15,268
A good soundcard is a DAC itself, so no need for both, unless you feel like constantly switching your sources. And virtual surround works for all media that has multi channel audio. As far as on PC, I'm not too knowledgable on that front. Ask on the Nameless PC Guide.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,570 of 15,268
Just stuck the new HM5 memory foam velours (nice price atm) on the X2s... literally stuck with carpet tape.  Pillowy bliss 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Sound is pretty similar to the stock pads, but these are roomier inside and much softer.  I tried the HM5 pleathers yesterday and it was a plastic sounding bust.  Terrible.  The X2s seem to prefer velour.

The method for attaching them is dead simple: cut some thin strips of your favorite adhesive and apply them in a rough circle around the vinyl ring on the underside of the pad.  I used 1.5-inch carpet tape, snipped an appropriately thick strip, then cut that in half before applying.  You could always test it out with less serious tape.  Carpet tape is great for a semi-permanent solution.  Once the pad is ready, line it up, get the mounting posts inside the vinyl ring (this is important), and press carefully.  Make sure you're happy with the alignment before securing the pad to the cup.

Did I mention they're way more comfortable than the stock pads?  Less clamping pressure, too.
Back to my 
beerchug.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After running through the same 53 min. playlist of varied character between slightly modded stock pads and the HM5s, I have to give the nod to the HM5s for sound, too.  Detail retrieval was improved, bass impact still there, but a little less muddied, and stuff like Steely Dan's The Royal Scam and Geddy Lee's vocals were still tamed.  Those two can really expose a given pad's weakness in the glare dept.  The HM5s just did wonders for the vocals without edging into glare territory.  Combined with pillowy softness, I almost forgot I was wearing cans.

Absolutely loving these now.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,571 of 15,268
In my experience, most dedicated DACs sound better than Sound Cards but if you want those effects like CMSS 3D then you would want to stay with a sound card.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #1,572 of 15,268
In my experience, most dedicated DACs sound better than Sound Cards but if you want those effects like CMSS 3D then you would want to stay with a sound card.

Yeah that seems like the consensus with most people, DAC's have better sound but won't have option of CMSS ect... though aren't they just software like Razor Surround or do they actually use hardware on the soundcard for things?

Might just get a normal DAC & AMP combo then get a average priced soundcard if I want virtual surround.

Anyway I'll probably bring this onto that other thread and put this back on track with the X2 :)

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,573 of 15,268

Yeah that seems like the consensus with most people, DAC's have better sound but won't have option of CMSS ect... though aren't they just software like Razor Surround or do they actually use hardware on the soundcard for things?

Might just get a normal DAC & AMP combo then get a average priced soundcard if I want virtual surround.

Anyway I'll probably bring this onto that other thread and put this back on track with the X2 :)

There's a  DSP on the Creative SBZ that actually processes the stereo sound into virtual surround.  Razer Surround is just software.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,574 of 15,268
  Would you recommend soundcards then instead of a DAC if I wanted to go along the route of using virtual sound? Does virtual sound help for films as well, or best to disable?

I really enjoyed CMSS 3D and the THX TruStuio Pro tests over the Dolby Headphone (seemed quite echoy with the tests I listened to). I haven't listened to much of the SBX but guess I get it with the other creative stuff.

So would have to look at one of the Creative soundcards like X-Fi Titanium HD or Sound Blaster Z

Would I still need an amp with a soundcard?

So would look like Soundcard -> (3.5mm or RCA?) amp -> Fidelio X2

Thanks for the info as well. Probably info around else where but so much to read :)

You might want to check this one out... Dac+Virtual sound. Amazingly, it can also drive speakers.

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x7

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,575 of 15,268
I decided to return my X2's and get a refund because the bass was slightly stronger in the left cub.

They are also a little too bright for my taste, and the bass is too lean, not fat enough. I would have liked a little louder mid range too. Bass quality is great, definitely the X2's best trait that brings to whole sound together and keeps things interesting. The sound stage is also very good, with excellent vertical layering of the sound with the solid bass in the bottom and airy treble in the top. I watched The Empire Strikes back with them on, and holy moly that sounded awesome. I also liked listening to Leonard Cohen on them.

Because they are on the bright side they don't pair so well with my Sabre32 dac, I liked the tonality better with my soundcard which has a Burr-Brown 1792 chip.

Maybe I will try the X1's. The clamp was too much for me on the X2's, I asume it's the same on the X1's  - Can that be remedied by bending the headband - Have anyone tried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back