Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 5, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,501 of 15,268
  They were talking about Aune X1 not T1. But Aune T1 amp is good enough and powerful with 3 different gain settings... just littlebit bright sided sound as stock.
With capacitor upgrade amp section also turns to very good sounding. I use it @ mid gain (~400mA output) with my Fidelio X1 and sound is amazing and I have no wish for better one. Of course these are better amps to go with T1 DAC section but upgraded amp section is also very good, IMHO 
wink.gif

As much as I`ve read about Aune X1, then it isn`t so good match for Fidelio X1/X2.

I see, sorry about that, didn't know Aune made another amp. You're right, stock T1 is not that good. Upgrading it might result in a better sound but I haven't tried (the amp was on loan from a friend).

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,505 of 15,268
Seriously? LOL

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

http://www.headfonia.com/philips-fidelio-x2-evolution-sound/

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/headphones/1401247/philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-review-ears-on

http://www.neowin.net/news/philips-fidelio-x2-headphones-review

There was one german review also but couldn`t find it atm....

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,506 of 15,268
  Any reviews of the Headphone beside the one from Baycode? Hows the Headphone compared to other similar prices open-back Headphones like the AKG K712 Pro

From my brief ownership of the K712s, which I sold to fund the X2s, I prefer the X2s for just listening to music.  The K712s do some things better (sound stage, details), and I can see why people would use them in a studio.  They just weren't "kick back and enjoy" cans for me.  Also, I own the Q701s.  The X2s excel in the bass dept. compared to the AKGs I've heard.  To me, that's their biggest strength, along with an overall easy going signature.  Some things that are bright can seem bright (e.g., Geddy Lee's vocals, certain Steely Dan songs, et al.), but I don't fault the cans.  I'm playing around with making some custom pads, and my first attempt definitely mellowed out the mids, but the bass was a bit too muddy to keep them.  I'm going to keep trying, as I've found pads can make a significant difference in how cans sound.  But I could definitely live with the stock pads, esp. after my minor mod to them.

HTH.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,507 of 15,268
Hello X2 owners,

I have been eyeing the X2's for a while now and i have a couple of questions. Firstly, i'll have you know that I've tried the X1's a long while back, and I thought they were magnificent. Here were my impressions of them (quoted from the DT880 thread): 
Man this headphone is good! I think that it compliments the DT880's very well. My first impressions of these were that they sounded thick, meaty, and authoritative without sacrificing the clarity. This headphone has surprisingly good timbre, and did very well on acoustic tracks. The fun factor on this headphones is excellent.. But most impressive of all was the X1's ability to handle bass. Everything about the bass is fantastic. The slam, the rumble, and the extension were all superb, especially since this is an open back headphone. That said the bass can get slightly loose sometimes.  In some way then this is kind of like a smoother version of the DT990. The mids are slightly better on the X1's, but the dt990 definitely has the X1 on the ropes in terms of treble. You simply cannot beat the treble of a Beyerdynamic headphone
Which brings me on to my questions:
Does the X2 retain that addicting balance between being technically capable but also really good fun at the same time?
Would someone who has tried both the DT880's and X2's give me a quick comparison between the two and which one he prefers overall?
Would there be any problems connecting the X2's to an Aune T1 (output impedance of 10ohms)? I know about impedance mismatch but I was wondering how the X2 sounds out of the T1.

Lots of questions, i know, but one has to be careful what he spends his money on 
biggrin.gif
 Especially here at head-fi.

Thanks in advance..

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,508 of 15,268
For what it counts, X1 sounds very good with Aune T1 with right tube and upgraded capacitors 
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #1,509 of 15,268
Thanks a lot. it helps w/ my decision. 

From my brief ownership of the K712s, which I sold to fund the X2s, I prefer the X2s for just listening to music.  The K712s do some things better (sound stage, details), and I can see why people would use them in a studio.  They just weren't "kick back and enjoy" cans for me.  Also, I own the Q701s.  The X2s excel in the bass dept. compared to the AKGs I've heard.  To me, that's their biggest strength, along with an overall easy going signature.  Some things that are bright can seem bright (e.g., Geddy Lee's vocals, certain Steely Dan songs, et al.), but I don't fault the cans.  I'm playing around with making some custom pads, and my first attempt definitely mellowed out the mids, but the bass was a bit too muddy to keep them.  I'm going to keep trying, as I've found pads can make a significant difference in how cans sound.  But I could definitely live with the stock pads, esp. after my minor mod to them.

HTH.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #1,511 of 15,268
Just got the X2s coming from some Q701s and X1. On first impression the bass is slightly less than the X1 but is better controlled, seems to hit lower and is tighter.

Mids are more up front and the warmth of the X1 is not there at all, this makes the X2 more an exciting listing but more fatiguing than the X1.

Treble is brighter than the X1 but that sense of air is not there as it was on the X1

Sound stage is to my ears smaller than the X1.

I like the X2 but I miss the warmth, air and sound stage of the X1.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #1,512 of 15,268
  Just got the X2s coming from some Q701s and X1. On first impression the bass is slightly less than the X1 but is better controlled, seems to hit lower and is tighter.

Mids are more up front and the warmth of the X1 is not there at all, this makes the X2 more an exciting listing but more fatiguing than the X1.

Treble is brighter than the X1 but that sense of air is not there as it was on the X1

Sound stage is to my ears smaller than the X1.

I like the X2 but I miss the warmth, air and sound stage of the X1.

Thank You for that! Glad to get confirmation to what I was afraid of going to miss, should I had pulled trigger on X2. Now I can stay with peace with X1 
tongue.gif

X1 bass tightness and quantity/balance can be improved with custom cable and good matching amp/dac (hint: tubes) 
wink.gif
 Got to get another pair, they seem to run out of production.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #1,513 of 15,268
Yes I changed the stock cable and had about 200+ hours on the X1 and it sounded great, the bass is tight and not booming at all, still the X2 does bass slightly better IMO. 

I'll give the X2 the same amount as hours as the X1 and see how it sounds. For me the X2 is a neutral headphone with great  bass, the X1 is a very warm headphone with very good bass.

I'm leaning towards the X1 myself for the warmth and substantially bigger sound stage but will see, the X2 does sound great and is a more engaging listen over shorter periods. I could listen to the X1 all day long and not get fatigued, same can't be said of the X2 with its brighter signature.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #1,514 of 15,268
Do the fidelio X2 have a bump in the treble frequency relative to the ath-m50? I have the ath-m50 and i find them treble-heavy to the extent of being mildly harsh and fatiuging at times. I wanna upgrade to an open headphone, but i dont want to suffer from this problem even more.. any thoughts?

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #1,515 of 15,268
  Yes I changed the stock cable and had about 200+ hours on the X1 and it sounded great, the bass is tight and not booming at all, still the X2 does bass slightly better IMO. 

I'll give the X2 the same amount as hours as the X1 and see how it sounds. For me the X2 is a neutral headphone with great  bass, the X1 is a very warm headphone with very good bass.

I'm leaning towards the X1 myself for the warmth and substantially bigger sound stage but will see, the X2 does sound great and is a more engaging listen over shorter periods. I could listen to the X1 all day long and not get fatigued, same can't be said of the X2 with its brighter signature.

That`s what I was also afraid - too neutral with brighter signature. I listen music by longer sessions and my ears are quite sensitive to treble, so X1 have probably hit the nail for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back