Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 29, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #14,148 of 15,268
I believe there are few things better than a Fidelio X2. If instead of Philips you put Focal or Sennheiser in your box, users or customers would placidly pay no less than $1000 USD without a complaint.

The Philips Fidelio X2 is the best thing that has happened to audiophilia in years.
Can't say I fully agree but for sure the X2 is the best value headphone I've ever owned by a decent stretch, can't beat it for 100 pounds especially considering it doesn't necessarily need an amp

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #14,149 of 15,268
The price has rocketed up to £147 on amazon. When I first saw them, they were £109. A week later when I bought mine they were £118. Now they are £147 and there are over 1800 reviews with a score of 4.7. One of the highest I've ever seen on amazon.

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #14,150 of 15,268
You're right, last week they were 165 EURO at amazon.nl, now they are 210 EURO.
Oh well, I wasn't about to get a pair anyways, I am waiting for the X3s and their first reviews to come out.

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #14,151 of 15,268
They will go down again, it's a cycle. You can consistently get them for 100€ on EU Amazon stores at least two or three times a year.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #14,152 of 15,268
You're right, last week they were 165 EURO at amazon.nl, now they are 210 EURO.
Oh well, I wasn't about to get a pair anyways, I am waiting for the X3s and their first reviews to come out.

Any idea when the X3 will come out. I'm waiting for them as well. Lets hope they're even better.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #14,153 of 15,268
This summer, it said...

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #14,154 of 15,268
So I've seen a couple people on Reddit say that Tyll later reflected on his X2 review as not his "best moment". One said he thought it was a mistake. Hearsay and more hearsay, I know, since I scoured the internet and couldn't find any of Tyll's own words to the effect.

Just wondering if any of you have any idea what they're talking about.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #14,156 of 15,268
So I've seen a couple people on Reddit say that Tyll later reflected on his X2 review as not his "best moment". One said he thought it was a mistake. Hearsay and more hearsay, I know, since I scoured the internet and couldn't find any of Tyll's own words to the effect.

Just wondering if any of you have any idea what they're talking about.

Not sure Reddit is a source of reliable information. Maybe some places are better than others.

I just re-read Tyll's review, which I should say played a role in my pursuit of this headphone ~4 yrs ago (I love the X2). I can see just 2 "maybe/perhaps" reasons he might have had minor regrets--though IMO he owes no one an apology for being an early fan of this successful, popular HP design:
  • That he gave significant print/length to the mfr's commentary about this HP. Actually, he puts this in context in places in the review, explaining his overarching perception of Philips' design team as being technically savvy & forward-thinking
  • That he compares it (to some extent) unfavorably to the legendary HD600.
Balancing this out is the fact that he couches his sonic observations in the context of tech/specs & frequency graphs--in effect, supporting subjective perceptions with science.

Net/net: I don't think Tyll has anything to regret here.

I'm well aware some in this hobby love to trash the X2 because it's a budget design & is a somewhat warm, ear-friendly design, not an detail & resolution cannon. Admittedly, its resolution is only moderate; this is not a headphone music professionals would use to mix tracks or assess final mixes.

But still...this is the first headphone that made me truly happy with headphone audio. I've gotten other headphones since that are better, but I believe the X2 was a success because it sounds good, puts music appreciation first, and is relaxing & comfortable.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #14,157 of 15,268
Not sure Reddit is a source of reliable information. Maybe some places are better than others.

I just re-read Tyll's review, which I should say played a role in my pursuit of this headphone ~4 yrs ago (I love the X2). I can see just 2 "maybe/perhaps" reasons he might have had minor regrets--though IMO he owes no one an apology for being an early fan of this successful, popular HP design:
  • That he gave significant print/length to the mfr's commentary about this HP. Actually, he puts this in context in places in the review, explaining his overarching perception of Philips' design team as being technically savvy & forward-thinking
Balancing this out is the fact that he couches his sonic observations in the context of tech/specs & frequency graphs--in effect, supporting subjective perceptions with science.

I'm well aware some in this hobby love to trash the X2 because it's a budget design & is a somewhat warm, ear-friendly design, not an detail & resolution cannon. Admittedly, its resolution is only moderate; this is not a headphone music professionals would use to mix tracks or assess final mixes.

But still...this is the first headphone that made me truly happy with headphone audio. I've gotten other headphones since that are better, but I believe the X2 was a success because it sounds good, puts music appreciation first, and is relaxing & comfortable.
Thanks for the detailed and nuanced reply. Appreciate it. I'd agree, they're the first headphones to just immerse me in the music and accompanying sweet feelings.

What would you say is an upgrade? (Similar effect and sound signature) The Sundara's?

Reddit is a... "special" place

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #14,158 of 15,268
Thanks for the detailed and nuanced reply. Appreciate it. I'd agree, they're the first headphones to just immerse me in the music and accompanying sweet feelings.

What would you say is an upgrade? (Similar effect and sound signature) The Sundara's?

Reddit is a... "special" place

I've read some stuff on Reddit that scorched my corneas. Reddit definitely has some good sections & good contributors. But the bad stuff is beyond bad...a sub-basement of online hell.

Thanks for your reply...and your question, which is exactly the right question to ask for anyone who likes X2 sound. Once the X2s helped me identify my sonic preferences (something that happened in a similar way w/big 2-channel systems in the living room decades ago), I tried other headphones that ended up having similar bombshell/satisfaction effects on me. I can recommend 3 other HPs that moved the earth under my feet:
  • Sennheiser HD650: Yes, this is an elderly design, either at end-of-life or close to it. Regardless, it's probably the most successful headphone at any price. When you hear one you'll see why: it has a slightly warm tonality; non-aggressive but informative treble; and one of the best midranges around. Yes, the bass is a bit wholly; no real sub-bass; "intimate" rather than big soundstage; and less than ultimate resolution. But what this headphone does right, it does very very right.
  • ZMF Ori: Yes, this is a closed back planar, but the typical closed back demerits seem to apply less here--and the warmish voicing & spectacular bass are to die for. This is one of those immersive, musical headphones that relaxes you & pulls you into the music for way longer than you'd planned. IMO this is a real desert island headphone. The only bad thing I can say is that it's a power hog--it really needs a powerful SS amp. But if you have that...aural nirvana.
  • ZMF Aeolus: Yes, I'm a ZMF fanboy--let's get that out of the way. IMO this high-impedance open-back dynamic represents the ultimate extension of the musical, bassy, somewhat warm sound of the X2s. It does everything the X2 does, but bigger, better, more fun & addictive. It's not cheap (a new one costs ~$1,300), but it's a beautiful, handcrafted audio art object with wooden earcups that are stunning to look at. Best of all, you can easily & inexpensively modify the sound with any of 4-5 ZMF earpad sets specifically recommended for the Aeolus. I've tried 3 earpad options & think the perforated suede universe pads are the best...or maybe it's Verite pads (different sound, but also wonderful).
If you feel like chasing that X2 sound, these are 3 great ways to do it IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #14,159 of 15,268
I've read some stuff on Reddit that scorched my corneas. Reddit definitely has some good sections & good contributors. But the bad stuff is beyond bad...a sub-basement of online hell.

Thanks for your reply...and your question, which is exactly the right question to ask for anyone who likes X2 sound. Once the X2s helped me identify my sonic preferences (something that happened in a similar way w/big 2-channel systems in the living room decades ago), I tried other headphones that ended up having similar bombshell/satisfaction effects on me. I can recommend 3 other HPs that moved the earth under my feet:
  • Sennheiser HD650: Yes, this is an elderly design, either at end-of-life or close to it. Regardless, it's probably the most successful headphone at any price. When you hear one you'll see why: it has a slightly warm tonality; non-aggressive but informative treble; and one of the best midranges around. Yes, the bass is a bit wholly; no real sub-bass; "intimate" rather than big soundstage; and less than ultimate resolution. But what this headphone does right, it does very very right.
  • ZMF Ori: Yes, this is a closed back planar, but the typical closed back demerits seem to apply less here--and the warmish voicing & spectacular bass are to die for. This is one of those immersive, musical headphones that relaxes you & pulls you into the music for way longer than you'd planned. IMO this is a real desert island headphone. The only bad thing I can say is that it's a power hog--it really needs a powerful SS amp. But if you have that...aural nirvana.
  • ZMF Aeolus: Yes, I'm a ZMF fanboy--let's get that out of the way. IMO this high-impedance open-back dynamic represents the ultimate extension of the musical, bassy, somewhat warm sound of the X2s. It does everything the X2 does, but bigger, better, more fun & addictive. It's not cheap (a new one costs ~$1,300), but it's a beautiful, handcrafted audio art object with wooden earcups that are stunning to look at. Best of all, you can easily & inexpensively modify the sound with any of 4-5 ZMF earpad sets specifically recommended for the Aeolus. I've tried 3 earpad options & think the perforated suede universe pads are the best...or maybe it's Verite pads (different sound, but also wonderful).
If you feel like chasing that X2 sound, these are 3 great ways to do it IMO.

The HD650 is the only set of cans I've regretted letting go of...

At $200 for the Drop HD6XX, it was easy to fix that mistake! :wink:

Jul 7, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #14,160 of 15,268

Budget design, but built to last. Mine are like a tank. I can see these lasting 10 years or more.

Since i bought my ones, i don't feel the need to buy anymore cans, and that's a good thing for my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back