Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jun 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #14,132 of 15,268
It seems insane, but after getting the HP-3, I find the X2 anemic in terms of low end. How the tables have turned...

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #14,135 of 15,268
have owned my x2 hr for a looooong time now and never posted anything about them. ill start by saying I got a feeling my right and left drivers arnt exactly matched lol I also have owned and still own alot of headphones and have chance to listen to loads of headphones , and although I'm not going to sit hear and say they have all the characteristics of a 6 7 8 + hundred quid set of cans, they also arnt great at all the upper treble air /room feeling or produce all the micro details others do and isn't quite as tight and accurate as more expensive cans they also roll off both directions relatively quickly.......... BUUUUUTTT what they do are astonishing!!! absolutley insane!!! For people who like to listen to music and have fun while doing it instead of tear it to pieces analysing it (which to be fair I'm one of them analysers 🤣🤣). this is the most fun headphone at any price I've heard for genunie pure fun and enjoyment of music. any song sounds good through them I mean any. with not a reference quality sound, but an enhanced, colured, warm, detailed, incredibly wide staged , with hard transient punch and stereo imaging/separation. I'm always finding myself selling and buying new cans but can't seem to ever get rid of these. if your not looking for a reference type headphone can anyone else honestly point to better fun under say 500? especially used with ifi xcan with presence boost I'm always left with a smile on my face.
if you have both, try listen to bubbles by yosi horikawa.. the sense of width and imaging is so Stella with this track impaticular. i literally just wanted to chime in and say I love these headphones! just have a lint roller ready for those dust magnets of pads. these are brilliant headphones everyone should own alongside there expensive stuff to remind themselves it's not always about higher the price better the performance........

fidelio x3 should have nothing changed but use beryllium drivers no? would be a bit special. round of aplause philips !

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #14,136 of 15,268
especially used with ifi xcan with presence boost I'm always left with a smile on my face.

Thanks for nice words about xCAN. I owned X2 several years ago briefly, but had no idea they were so popular here on HF!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 23, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #14,138 of 15,268
I believe there are few things better than a Fidelio X2. If instead of Philips you put Focal or Sennheiser in your box, users or customers would placidly pay no less than $1000 USD without a complaint.

The Philips Fidelio X2 is the best thing that has happened to audiophilia in years.

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #14,141 of 15,268
Morning all,

My X2HR arrived yesterday and I'm really impressed.

I'm using with a Centrance M8 DAC/Amp and after a lifetime of IEMs, listening to full size open headphones is a whole new experience.

I've got a balanced cable from a previous pair of Sony MDR1A (2.5mm TRRS > 3.5mm TRRS). I've read on here the X2 can't accept a balanced signal via its 3.5mm TRS input.

Because i'm a curious sort of fellow i tried the cable in the X2 via the XLR > 2.5mm adapter from the Centrance.

It worked, in that it produced a recognisable sound. I tried back to back with the normal SE output from the amp and couldn't tell any difference.

Any ideas what's happening with the balanced cable signal? I assume its balanced all the way to the X2, which then accepts it as SE? Is this bad for the headphones?

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #14,142 of 15,268
Because i'm a curious sort of fellow i tried the cable in the X2 via the XLR > 2.5mm adapter from the Centrance.

It worked, in that it produced a recognisable sound. I tried back to back with the normal SE output from the amp and couldn't tell any difference.

Any ideas what's happening with the balanced cable signal? I assume its balanced all the way to the X2, which then accepts it as SE? Is this bad for the headphones?

Thanks all for your thoughts.
X2HR is not balanced at all. The cup jack is TRS.
Some fellow (me included) have modded the headphone by adding a second TRS jack on the other cup and modifying the wire so that the X2HR can now accept 2x 3.5TRS -> 2.5 TRRS câble (like Elear, some denon and Meze...).

To answer your question, plugging it your way can only damage your amp.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #14,144 of 15,268
X2HR is not balanced at all. The cup jack is TRS.
Some fellow (me included) have modded the headphone by adding a second TRS jack on the other cup and modifying the wire so that the X2HR can now accept 2x 3.5TRS -> 2.5 TRRS câble (like Elear, some denon and Meze...).

To answer your question, plugging it your way can only damage your amp.

Do you mind posting a photo? I’d like to see what style of jack you used, and where exactly you put it in the cup.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #14,145 of 15,268
Do you mind posting a photo? I’d like to see what style of jack you used, and where exactly you put it in the cup.

20200629_113401.jpg20200629_113410.jpg

Here is the original post i think :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-philips-fidelio-x1.623013/post-14953110

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back